Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOC1923

Fair to say Portglenone are on the Antrim chairman's Christmas card list after saving him and others from serious embarrassment.
On another note, where will the final be? Will St Johns allow Antrim access to the new stand and terracing they were provided with, or will Antrim gaels be sent again on a 20min hike to stand on a wet grass bank for their showpiece event of the season.

Sportacus

Good outcome.  Portglenone had a lot to deal with internally no doubt - lots of members on lots of different pages.  If it took 24 hours to bring everything together then fair enough.  Lots of lessons.  Almost certainly an appeal would have been successful, but the two teams agreed to play the extra time on the day and it just wasn't right to undo that agreement. It's a pity both clubs had a very stressful few days after a classic encounter.

bannside

Indeed EOC. Ulster appeal committee hold Antrim CCC in the lowest regard, due to a consistent mix up of administration errors. An appeal would have been a shoe in...

Integrity in sport wins the day, Antrim saved another red face at provincial or national level.

Caesar

Full credit to Roger Casements, Portglenone.

Had they proceeded with an appeal the result would almost certainly have been a replay.

Lots of comments have been thrown about but I suspect not a lot of other clubs would have shown this level of integrity with a potential county final on the line.

But Aghagallon beat them fair and square so glad that Portglenone have decided to to the right thing against their own best interest.

johnnycool

Quote from: Sportacus on November 02, 2021, 08:28:45 AM
Good outcome.  Portglenone had a lot to deal with internally no doubt - lots of members on lots of different pages.  If it took 24 hours to bring everything together then fair enough.  Lots of lessons.  Almost certainly an appeal would have been successful, but the two teams agreed to play the extra time on the day and it just wasn't right to undo that agreement. It's a pity both clubs had a very stressful few days after a classic encounter.

we were placed in a similar position recently in Down where all three teams in a Feile round robin had drawn all games and the rules used to separate the teams wasn't the rules we were officially informed would be. The rules used differed in this scenario as they used least scores conceded rather than most scores for. We lost out when these new rules were produced on the day when the official went to separate the three teams.

The final was played out with the other two teams..

We'd much discussion over what to do internally and I've no doubt we'd have succeeded in any appeals process but then you need to ask yourself what does winning look like and personally I didn't like what it looked like at U15 with kids involved so we didn't appeal. I took some shít over this decision by disgruntled management and some parents but you're placed in a no win situation through no fault of your own.

You only hope that the paid officials in the county get things like this sorted out and prevent reoccurrence in the future.

Poor communication evidently is a blight on more than one County Board..

stiffler

Anyone know the extra time rules for the final ?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Calm Down

To be decided on the day depending on how quickly Frankie needs home for the dinner

Quote from: stiffler on November 02, 2021, 09:08:56 AM
Anyone know the extra time rules for the final ?

Saffrongael

The "statement" by Ciaran McCavana was pathetic, no admission of an error being made. No we will ensure it won't happen again etc
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

paddyjohn

It just goes to show the total shambles our county board is.

antrimman667

How do we get McCavana out the door, too many balls ups now

geezer

Pg1 have came out of this smelling of roses when infact they just spat the dummy out because they couldnt take a beating! But fair play to them, seen sense in the end. Was a funny old 24 hours.

Caesar

PG1 sought clarification then decided not to proceed with an appeal when they had every right to do so. Would not have been an easy decision but credit where it's due.

Truth hurts

St Marys may thank their lucky stars that they did not appeal as PG1 definitely would have been awarded a replay, it certainly would have been some value on here listening to the Aghagallon lads panic like they did yeterday lol

Calm Down

Have they? For many I think PG1 will have gone done in people's estimations, had it not have been for the poor publicity they were receiving and the force of public opinion I believe they would have proceeded with an appeal, if not why seek clarification unless they did not get the response they wanted from the CCC?

geezer

Lol woulda had to get the popcorn out.

Only gripe i had with the situation was that pg1 agreed to play the extra time then decided they didnt like the outcome. But sure its done now. Aghagallon deservedly in the final but cant see creggan not winning. Although thought the same about cargin.

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 02, 2021, 11:37:24 AM
St Marys may thank their lucky stars that they did not appeal as PG1 definitely would have been awarded a replay, it certainly would have been some value on here listening to the Aghagallon lads panic like they did yeterday lol