NI job losses

Started by seafoid, February 17, 2016, 08:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on February 20, 2016, 09:51:44 PM
Newton Emerson in the Irish News maintains the Union advised it's members to accept the cost cutting measures ???
Aye saw that earlier and meant to mention it.

Says so in the Guardian too.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/17/bombardier-7000-job-losses-worldwide

Employees not wise then.

johnneycool

There's a good chance that there's a last in, first out policy in place so a lot voting would know that and vote accordingly. Very hard for company's to introduce any sort of talent segmentation process in such an institutionalized place like Shorts.
The 'deadwood' could very well be safe

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on February 21, 2016, 09:46:03 AM
There's a good chance that there's a last in, first out policy in place so a lot voting would know that and vote accordingly. Very hard for company's to introduce any sort of talent segmentation process in such an institutionalized place like Shorts.

Staff appraisals by your immediate line manager..... Was a points system when I was there 1999, basically you started with x number of points due to service (time working there) but if you'd generated warnings due to attendance timekeeping getting caught smoking (which was very common) you'd have lost points.... And points gain based on your ability to do job....

Not sure they will use that, there was no redundancy package
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 21, 2016, 10:06:07 AM

Staff appraisals by your immediate line manager..... Was a points system when I was there 1999, basically you started with x number of points due to service (time working there) but if you'd generated warnings due to attendance timekeeping getting caught smoking (which was very common) you'd have lost points.... And points gain based on your ability to do job....

Appraisal scores are alright until they see the cost of laying off hundreds of long - timers. In an ideal world they'd keep the best people.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 21, 2016, 10:47:18 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 21, 2016, 10:06:07 AM

Appraisal scores are alright until they see the cost of laying off hundreds of long - timers. In an ideal world they'd keep the best people.

I agree and speaking to that lad yesterday, he stated that if they (and they are looking to do it) fixed it that they fid lose the dead wood they company could become more efficient and competitive...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 20, 2016, 05:05:19 PM
Quote from: Franko on February 20, 2016, 05:03:21 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 20, 2016, 12:40:28 PM
Quote from: Franko on February 20, 2016, 12:05:55 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 19, 2016, 07:20:45 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 19, 2016, 06:44:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 19, 2016, 02:45:27 PM
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-35059735

Quote from: Saffrongael on February 19, 2016, 09:27:33 AM
FAO MilltownRow2 From his Twitter - @JP_BIZ "Local boss of Bombardier says job cuts would still have happened even if workers had accepted pay deal last year. Issue not resolved."
If they rejected the deal over an extra hour on a Friday and a 2 year pay freeze in a period of low inflation, then they are an amazing shower of mugs. Shocking stuff!

Was great finishing up at 11.45am on a Friday.... But Franko knows a man who has a twitter account that will tell you something else...

Not me MR2.  I doubt your slovenly attitude towards work must extend to your posting here also.

So that's you admitting you're full of shite?? Apology accepted  ;)

To answer a post you put to me before, in not an expert in anything I post unless its something I've worked at..... I've asked more questions about things on these threads than purport to know everything.. Unless you've noticed everybody on a discussion board has a view point, you don't agree with everybody, calling me names, cnut,sloth and whatever else has no value to your contribution (IMHO)

Erm... Sorry to knock you off your high horse but the first one to resort to petty name calling was yourself.  And no, it's not an apology, it's me telling you that I wasn't the person who was quoting the Twitter link, contrary to your assertions.  Try to keep up, you really are making yourself look silly here.

Ok

Apology accepted

Over the Bar

QuoteThere's a good chance that there's a last in, first out policy in place so a lot voting would know that and vote accordingly.

I doubt that very much.  LIFO policies led to indirect discrimination and have been scrapped by any employers in receipt of govt funding as well as most other large employers.

johnneycool

Maybe in the very recent past as I worked for a company employing 800 plus and 5 years ago they'd a last in, first out policy for collective bargaining (shopfloor) staff and the unions fought tooth and nail to keep it in place.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on February 21, 2016, 12:01:09 PM
Maybe in the very recent past as I worked for a company employing 800 plus and 5 years ago they'd a last in, first out policy for collective bargaining (shopfloor) staff and the unions fought tooth and nail to keep it in place.

I think schools do it also, wife mentioned it the other day...

haranguerer

Re the early finish on Fridays - if I'm not mistaken, they start earlier during the week in Bombardier (not sure what way it works for the shift workers) to make up for the early finish on Fri. So what is portrayed as not agreeing to finish at a very reasonable time on Fridays, is actually not agreeing to unpaid overtime, no? I seriously doubt this and pay freezes would have saved 7,000 jobs globally, given the rate the C-Series is leaking cash.

Re Unions, I think they have a place; it does give workers a necessary voice and protection. However, they have to be responsible too - they can't just back any member regardless of how useless they are, which is certainly what happens in the civil service, to great detriment.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: haranguerer on February 22, 2016, 09:30:51 AM
Re the early finish on Fridays - if I'm not mistaken, they start earlier during the week in Bombardier (not sure what way it works for the shift workers) to make up for the early finish on Fri. So what is portrayed as not agreeing to finish at a very reasonable time on Fridays, is actually not agreeing to unpaid overtime, no? I seriously doubt this and pay freezes would have saved 7,000 jobs globally, given the rate the C-Series is leaking cash.

Re Unions, I think they have a place; it does give workers a necessary voice and protection. However, they have to be responsible too - they can't just back any member regardless of how useless they are, which is certainly what happens in the civil service, to great detriment.

They start at 7.25am (main daytime shift) every day have done so as far back to the nineties... They were asked to work longer to 1.00pm I think... The 7000 jobs were across all of Bombardiers companies throughout the world..... Look at cost cutting you're own and it could have reduced the numbers from shorts.... We'll never know... Two year pay freeze isn't great but Shorts is a good wage earner

give her dixie

On a brighter note, I read a good story about 21 firms in the north who made a
London Stock Exchange's '1000 Companies to Inspire Britain'.

On a personal level, I work for one of the 21, and as I hear about job losses on a continual
basis, i'm happy with my lot and glad to work for a company continually expanding. There is a great
satisfaction and peace of mind going to work.

Loosing your job through no fault of your own must be a devastating experience. A lot of people
are sadly facing that experience very soon.

http://www.irishnews.com/business/2016/02/22/news/21-northern-firms-included-in-british-business-elite-list-423712/
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/2de9932c-a315-11e7-9e4f-7f5e6a7c98a2

"   The ruling against the Montreal-based company by the US Department of Commerce to impose preliminary tariffs of up to 219 per cent came after Boeing alleged that Bombardier had been able to sell its regional C Series jets at below cost into the US because of subsidies from the UK and Canada. A final ruling in the case is not expected until early next year.

The ruling will increase tensions with Canada and the UK, which both deny any wrongdoing and threaten to boycott Boeing as a result of the dispute.

The decision could also put at risk some of Bombardier's 28,000 aerospace jobs and imperil the future of its Belfast factory. The Northern Ireland facility makes wings for several of the company's aircraft including the C Series and employs 4,500 people. "
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fat Angry Motorist

Boeing directly employ more than 2,000 people across the water and through their supply chain partners and sub contractors safeguard approx 10,000 other jobs in Britain.  A load of bluster today from May and Fallon.  They won't do a thing to jeopardise those jobs.
Give cyclists plenty of room.  It's the rules I tells ya!

Orior

Arlene Foster was relying on May's special friend and special relationship with Trump. Like Trump was going to help a Canadian company, eh?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians