The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laois man

Well done to St Paul a football area trying and working hard to get hurling going in there area. But for the other join up I rest my case🤔🤔🤔

Helix.

Quote from: clonadmad on June 03, 2021, 10:50:37 AM
Quote from: The Rover on June 03, 2021, 10:13:22 AM
are they Na Fianna?

great to see Portarlington and Emo.

Yes its great to see both Port and Pauls building their way up through the juvenile ranks against all the odds

hopefully in a year or two they will be in a position to put in standalone minor teams also.

A lot could learn from them in the promotion of underage hurling within the county

No doubt it's great to see the football areas thriving in hurling underage. I hope it gets the support required to sustain it. Hopefully won't end up like a Slieve Margy and disintegrate over time.

Hopefully these age groups  get some meaningful games this year, coaching in development squads of some description and GDAs can be established in the clubs interested in doing it (across both codes).

The amalgamations as mentioned can be messy and hopefully over time will see clubs fielding on their own where they can. I see Clonad and Trumera underage at 13s on their own good to to see. Hopefully sustain players as they transition to adults.

clonadmad

I have a simple enough solution to cutout marriage of convenience amalgamations at juvenile level and help clubs stand on their own and field juvenile teams at u13/15

The aim would to broaden the player base, give more lads game time and force clubs who are in amalgamations but using them not to develop hurling in their clubs to get their acts together.

Club identity would also be reinforced, with lads playing in their own jerseys, training in their own clubs and being coached by their own mentors.

2 Simple rules

1.Clubs stand on their own, no short term amalgamations

2.A B and C terms to be scrapped ,no more "stigmas".

At U13

Id work it as follows

The Jack Finlay league

Which would be 13 a side and clubs would enter by age in descending order their first 17 players

The Paddy Ruschitzko League

Which would be a minimum of 11 and a max of  13 a side and clubs would enter by age in descending order their first 14 players

The Pat Critchely League

Which would be a minimum of 9 and a max of  11 a side and clubs would enter by age in descending order their next 12 players.

The John Taylor League

Which would be a minimum of 7 and a max of  9 a side and clubs would enter by age in descending order their next 11 players.

Pitch sizes would reflect the numbers playing, the pitch hosting a 13 a side game would be proportionately bigger than the one hosting a 9 a side game.

So for example

Portlaoise have 29 players,their first 17  players by age go to the Finlay league and the next 12 go to the Critchley league

Trumera have 12/13 players,they automatically go to the Critchley league.

Mountmellick,Clonaslee or even a pure Football club,have 7/8/9/10/11 hurlers they go to the Taylor league.

Laois man

Good idea Clonadmad but some clubs like to take the easy way and join instead of working with what they have. Some of these clubs armies away from each other.

Laois man

burdizzo

In fairness, where else would Ballinakill go? They SHOULD have enough w/ 'Pickas, but they are very tight - certainly at u15. Ballacolla are, as well, so...? I know it doesn't look good - and some of these amalgamations do leave a lot behind - but lads need to be hurling to a standard, too. Besides Ballacolla/ Ballinakill/ Ballypickas didn't fare out too well last night - easily beaten by Park-Ratheniska/ Timahoe/ Stradally/ Graiguecullen/ St. Joseph's (!!). It's looking like The Harps will be the ones at u15 - they had a huge win over Borris/ Kilcotton last night. And Mountrath will hardly get away with hiding in the 'B' any more, either! Though fair play to them on their clean sweep of underage titles, they have a couple of really good prospects. Shows that giving up football pays dividends for hurling clubs!!

redsetanta

How are the minor hurlers shaping up this year.

Any stand out players to keep an eye out for?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

burdizzo

I get the impression that's it's more about developing next year's minor team, than about this year's one. In other words, a lot of younger players are on the panel.

burdizzo

And, what's more, I think Kildare will beat them.

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on June 30, 2021, 07:57:41 PM
I get the impression that's it's more about developing next year's minor team, than about this year's one. In other words, a lot of younger players are on the panel.

It's always about next year with us

Laois man

Is U20 game and minor game on laois TV tonight and tomorrow night?

Zooming around

Decent looking minor team named. Best of luck to them

Chrimtain

This is shocking. The state of the two games in Laois is embarrassing

burdizzo

As expected. Our lads too small compared to Kildare.