Help needed: Converting DVD to MPEG

Started by Louth Exile, February 05, 2008, 11:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louth Exile

I want to convert some DVD into MPEG format and have never done it before. A quick google searcfh of "DVD to MPEG" threw up a list of sites with free downloads, but I don't know which ones are any good or trustworthy. If anyone out there could recommend a site I would appreciate it.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Bensars

I usually use  www.downloads.com.

I tend to use the numbers downloaded  as a general guide to quality.

Donagh

DVD isn't a format in itself, in fact the video in DVD is usually in Mpeg. You'll need to rip the DVD into separate VOB files (DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, SmartRipper or something similar should do). The video in these are essentially Mpeg-2 files, so if you change the file extension from .vob to .mpeg you should be able to view them, though if you want a different Mpeg version you'll probably have to use something else to re-encode (TMPGEnc should do it). If you are planning to edit any of the footage you'd be safer converting the vob to avi (VirtualDub) and use you're editing software to make the changes.

Louth Exile

Thanks for the feedback lads, had a look at download.com there now, it threw up 223 search results for me so I'll do a trawl through it later.

Donaghy, I have to say, I didn't understand a word of what you just posted  :D Thats no insult to you, just a display of my ignorance in these matters. What I have is a DVD of a football final with a highlights section at the end of it, what I want to do is, in the simplest possible way get it into an mpeg format so I can upload it to youtube.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

midLouth

Puckoon

Im with square ball - maybe somebody could post an idiot proof step by step guide to taking a dvd and de-encoding-fragmenting-MPEGing-hullabalooing it to a format that can be:
1. Stored on a computer like a song is stored
2. Put on an ipod as a video file

While we're at it, does anyone know how to reduce the size of a video taken on an ordinary digital camera? Maybe we need a technology for idiots thread. let me see if I can find this smiley here............... :-\

Croí na hÉireann

You need to "rip" the DVD. I use the ImTOO DVD ripper to rip to .avi format. You can also rip to .mov .vob .mpg or .wmv It is as simple as putting in ur DVD, hit the DVD button, select the titles you require, change the quality/aspect settings, set your destination folder and hit record. Stay away from iPods so can't answer ur second question.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ONeill

Right. I followed that.

I just ripped the DVD. Which half do I put in first?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Puckoon

Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2008, 12:05:49 PM
Right. I followed that.

I just ripped the DVD. Which half do I put in first?

Christ you just made me wake the baby! That, was funny.