Armagh v Kildare 29.07.2017

Started by illdecide, July 17, 2017, 08:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Armagh will be Kildare's 29th SFC opponent and will complete the 'Ulster set' for them and are 18-8 v Ulster teams. That's from GAASTATS on Twitter.

When we do lose to Ulster teams it tends to be in tight affairs, thinking Tyrone 2*2pts Monaghan & Donegal after extra time and Down by the width of a cross bar.

Kildare are very much over hyped and a lot of non Kildare journalists and pundits are reaching but here's the thing so are Armagh they are a Division 3 side who can't get out of Division 3.

Kildare will allow teams a run, we are not experienced enough yet to shut teams down when that happens, Meath didn't tale theirs Dublin did, Armagh aren't Dublin though and we will run up a big score it's what we do.

Armagh might need to score 20pts+, have they the armoury for that as I don't expect they will shut us down defensively, too sloppy in the tackle.
#newbridgeornowhere

punt kick

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 19, 2017, 07:20:17 AM
Armagh will be Kildare's 29th SFC opponent and will complete the 'Ulster set' for them and are 18-8 v Ulster teams. That's from GAASTATS on Twitter.

When we do lose to Ulster teams it tends to be in tight affairs, thinking Tyrone 2*2pts Monaghan & Donegal after extra time and Down by the width of a cross bar.

Kildare are very much over hyped and a lot of non Kildare journalists and pundits are reaching but here's the thing so are Armagh they are a Division 3 side who can't get out of Division 3.

Kildare will allow teams a run, we are not experienced enough yet to shut teams down when that happens, Meath didn't tale theirs Dublin did, Armagh aren't Dublin though and we will run up a big score it's what we do.

Armagh might need to score 20pts+, have they the armoury for that as I don't expect they will shut us down defensively, too sloppy in the tackle.

Who exactly is over hyping Armagh?  This is a big ask for Armagh and most Armagh fans are seeing it as a measure of were we are, there is no expectation on Armagh here.  P.S. you can ignore the Tyronies trying to build Armagh up whilst laughing behind their keyboard.  ;)

westbound

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 18, 2017, 11:56:51 PM
Quote from: mcklatchee on July 18, 2017, 07:46:57 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 18, 2017, 07:00:19 PM
Quote from: mcklatchee on July 18, 2017, 06:54:19 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 18, 2017, 01:55:08 PM
As I predicted it looks like Feely will have his ban overturned. He can appeal any of his three black cards this year and knowing the GAA appeals process, it's hard not to see him succeed.

Why is it likely that he will get the ban overturned?

He clearly stepped into the space of ongoing player. Classic black card. The degree of contact is relevant only to how good he is to taking out a runner. It's not relevant as to whether taking a player out is a black card

Seemingly the Cork one is the one they expect to be rescinded.

Fair enough. I don't recall that one. Is there no time limit on these appeals?

There definitely should be a statute of limitations on these things

The crazy thing is, you are not allowed appeal a black card, unless you get 3 of them and are in line for a suspension. Only then can you appeal a black card (even if it was months ago!)

In theory Feely could appeal any of the 3 black cards at this stage, but he couldn't have appealed the first two before he got the 3rd one on Sunday.

Seems a bit crazy to me, but that's the GAA for ya!

Main Street

Quote from: punt kick on July 19, 2017, 08:16:51 AM

Who exactly is over hyping Armagh?  This is a big ask for Armagh and most Armagh fans are seeing it as a measure of were we are, there is no expectation on Armagh here.  P.S. you can ignore the Tyronies trying to build Armagh up whilst laughing behind their keyboard.  ;)
Dinny was probably trying to message while his Range Rover was negotiating the maze around the stable yards. Is it not so that he meant to write that Armagh are also hyping up Kildare, because Armagh are of the lower class?

Solo_run

Quote from: westbound on July 19, 2017, 10:22:54 AM
As I predicted it looks like Feely will have his ban overturned. He can appeal any of his three black cards this year and knowing the GAA appeals process, it's hard not to see him succeed.

He clearly stepped into the space of ongoing player. Classic black card. The degree of contact is relevant only to how good he is to taking out a runner. It's not relevant as to whether taking a player out is a black card

The crazy thing is, you are not allowed appeal a black card, unless you get 3 of them and are in line for a suspension. Only then can you appeal a black card (even if it was months ago!)

In theory Feely could appeal any of the 3 black cards at this stage, but he couldn't have appealed the first two before he got the 3rd one on Sunday.

This is further evidence that the black card should be done away with

westbound

Quote from: Solo_run on July 19, 2017, 11:41:48 AM
Quote from: westbound on July 19, 2017, 10:22:54 AM

This is further evidence that the black card should be done away with

I wouldn't agree that a 'flawed' appeals process is evidence that the black card should be gotten rid of.

Rossfan

Evidence no less!!
I believe the reason for not having appeals earlier is to avoid clogging up the system with appeals which have no effect.
However when a suspension looms ... then there's effect.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2017, 12:28:22 PM
Evidence no less!!
I believe the reason for not having appeals earlier is to avoid clogging up the system with appeals which have no effect.

That actually makes a lot of sense....but sure why not give the doom mongers a reason to complain about the black card. I honestly believe it is a good thing when implemented correctly and understood fully.

westbound

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 19, 2017, 12:41:19 PM
Evidence no less!!

That actually makes a lot of sense....but sure why not give the doom mongers a reason to complain about the black card. I honestly believe it is a good thing when implemented correctly and understood fully.

Just to be clear, I wasn't being critical of the black card. I agree with you that I think it is a good thing.

But despite Rossfan's valid points, I think cards should be appealed (or not) earlier (say within 2 weeks). Otherwise, it is possible that you might get two black cards in January and then a third in August. So 7 months have passed before you can appeal the ones in January.

Taylor

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 19, 2017, 12:41:19 PM
Evidence no less!!

This being the crux of the problem because some commentators, supporters, players and referees dont seem to have a clue

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Main Street on July 19, 2017, 11:29:59 AM
Quote from: punt kick on July 19, 2017, 08:16:51 AM

Dinny was probably trying to message while his Range Rover was negotiating the maze around the stable yards. Is it not so that he meant to write that Armagh are also hyping up Kildare, because Armagh are of the lower class?

I have a chauffeur for that.

Stevie Mc always bigging up Armagh.
#newbridgeornowhere

maddog

My issue with the black card is whether its that much of a punishment. Eg Dean rock blacked carded Brogan comes on and kicks 5 points. Think 10 min sin bin would be better. Obviously the lack of understanding in implementing the rule is a big problem as mentioned by other posters.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: maddog on July 19, 2017, 01:55:53 PM
My issue with the black card is whether its that much of a punishment. Eg Dean rock blacked carded Brogan comes on and kicks 5 points. Think 10 min sin bin would be better. Obviously the lack of understanding in implementing the rule is a big problem as mentioned by other posters.

I would prefer that too. It is a better way to punish teams in my opinion and should not have been done away with.

you take er!

I'm not a fan of the black card in anyway, shape or form but I agree with the last few posters it is the sheer inability of referees to understand it. Far too often refs and officials spend time stopping the game to speak to, book or black card players for the most innocuous of things. A Kildare player got booked on Sunday for a textbook shoulder - IT WASN'T EVEN A FOUL! yet the ref feels he has to book the player - honestly I was shouting at the TV it's typical of the way the game is going sanitising on field things as well as off field stuff (whatever clown felt putting a screen up to stop fans expressing their emotions at a final win needs their head examined) Refs are getting too caught up in the 'rules' and trying to be centre of attention, the best refs are those we hardly notice. How often are refs praised on TSG?? There is a reason for it generally because they are becoming obstructive in games ruining them as a spectacle and being far too card-happy. I will give a little bit of slack though in that they need to be helped by players & players squealing, falling and diving when there is no need ruin it for others. Tyrone players have more than played their part in this Phillip Jordan, Sean Cavanagh and Tiarnan McCann to name but a few.

armaghniac

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 19, 2017, 01:58:27 PM
Quote from: maddog on July 19, 2017, 01:55:53 PM

I would prefer that too. It is a better way to punish teams in my opinion and should not have been done away with.

It wouldn't stop the typical black card situation in the last 10 mins though.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B