The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: thewingedlady on October 05, 2008, 01:02:52 AM
Quote from: nashville on October 04, 2008, 11:19:05 PM
I thought the ref had a good game, i think most Harpsmens arguments contrary to this would be that he somehow managed to pull 5 minutes of injury time from somewhere, and when Cullyhana got it back to a point 4 minutes into injury time he blew the keeper up for taking too long with the kick out and gave a hop ball. Now i don't think there would have been too many people there today who would have been surprised had he awarded a free-in after the hop ball. Up until this uncalled for injury time i thought he had a decent enough game

I thought the throw-in for time wasting was pretty blatant tbh. He blew the whistle to signal for the kick out and within 2 seconds blew again for time-wasting. It was madness. Agreed, he did do a good job for 90% of the game, but his decisions in injury time onwards were infuriating. It looked liked he was trying to rob us! Having said that, through to the final so i'll get over it.

Have to say I thought the ref had a good game yesterday in very difficult conditions. He played a good bit of injury time which was justified to be honest as there were a number of fellas who went down through the second half needing treatment.

Finally for now, best of luck to Stumps, Toots, Legs, John and the whole squad for today's big game. Give it your best shot lads and we can ask no more! 

nutsy--1

Congrats to the minors don't think they were given much of a chance this year, hopefuly the seniors get a similar result.

Rufus T Firefly

Seniors defeated today by Rangers by 1-13 to 1-10. I don't have time to put up a report - as my route takes me to the Harps Club shortly - but suffice to say that the team played with great heart and spirit and almost pulled the game out of the fire at the death. Joe Quigley's fourteen yard free beat the defenders and crossed the line. However the ref, generous to a fault, had blown the game after Joe had made contact but before the ball crossed the line.  ::)

This is a match that we will look back on as being a missed opportunity, but thanks are due to the whole squad and management for the manner of their performance and for the pride and determination shown which nearly pullled off a major shock.   

stew

If the harps played like this every week they would be right up there at the top of the legue instead of getting effin relegated.

I won fifty quid but I would much rather have handed it over if the harps could have won.

It sounds as if the result was in before the ball was thrown in, do Cross have that kind of pull in Armagh?????
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

RealSpiritof98

Firstly i was devastated not to get to our biggest match in years. Il not comment on the game, but i know there is a dvd of the game and would love to get a look at it, pm me if anyone knows were i can get it. Also great win for the minors, lets hope they can take the title home.

maddog

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 05, 2008, 06:50:05 PM
Seniors defeated today by Rangers by 1-13 to 1-10. I don't have time to put up a report - as my route takes me to the Harps Club shortly - but suffice to say that the team played with great heart and spirit and almost pulled the game out of the fire at the death. Joe Quigley's fourteen yard free beat the defenders and crossed the line. However the ref, generous to a fault, had blown the game after Joe had made contact but before the ball crossed the line.  ::)

This is a match that we will look back on as being a missed opportunity, but thanks are due to the whole squad and management for the manner of their performance and for the pride and determination shown which nearly pullled off a major shock.   

Good to hear there is still fire in the belly after a tough year. Unlucky with the result though. Hopefully that performance will be built on, promotion next year and a real crack at the championship with a team thats in a winning groove.

bennydorano

Plenty of positives for next season, this year we bedded in 2 fine young defenders in Mark McConville and Marty McCoy.  We have  one of the best MF diamonds in the county, a very potent FF line hopefully we can add to that forward line next season.  We should also have Peadar back.

stew

Quote from: bennydorano on October 06, 2008, 03:37:29 PM
Plenty of positives for next season, this year we bedded in 2 fine young defenders in Mark McConville and Marty McCoy.  We have  one of the best MF diamonds in the county, a very potent FF line hopefully we can add to that forward line next season.  We should also have Peadar back.

Is McCoy a mazzie or a flea?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: thewingedlady on October 05, 2008, 01:02:52 AM
Quote from: nashville on October 04, 2008, 11:19:05 PM
I thought the ref had a good game, i think most Harpsmens arguments contrary to this would be that he somehow managed to pull 5 minutes of injury time from somewhere, and when Cullyhana got it back to a point 4 minutes into injury time he blew the keeper up for taking too long with the kick out and gave a hop ball. Now i don't think there would have been too many people there today who would have been surprised had he awarded a free-in after the hop ball. Up until this uncalled for injury time i thought he had a decent enough game

I thought the throw-in for time wasting was pretty blatant tbh. He blew the whistle to signal for the kick out and within 2 seconds blew again for time-wasting. It was madness. Agreed, he did do a good job for 90% of the game, but his decisions in injury time onwards were infuriating. It looked liked he was trying to rob us! Having said that, through to the final so i'll get over it.

I can see why Harps were infuriated with the hop ball but if Harps had been a point down I think its a fair guess that the goalie would already have had the ball kicked out by the time he blew for the throw up. I thought he did well in difficult conditions although there's always a few decisions where he'll make mistakes. The vast majority of injury time (4 or 5 of the 6 he played) was justified as there were a number of stoppages and certainly the ref was well entitled to still be playing by the time of the hop ball.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Rufus T Firefly

stew

Quote from: bennydorano on October 06, 2008, 06:58:26 PM
Mazzie/Massey

He must be a good un then. mazzie and flea were powerful footballers. i think I saw that kid play underage football two years ago wheni was home and he was one of the best players on the pitch that day.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: stew on October 06, 2008, 10:49:27 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on October 06, 2008, 06:58:26 PM
Mazzie/Massey

He must be a good un then. mazzie and flea were powerful footballers. i think I saw that kid play underage football two years ago wheni was home and he was one of the best players on the pitch that day.

Flea's young fella had a stormer at full back for the minors on Saturday as well Stew. His cousin - Shane Donnelly - also played well at corner back. It's in the genes!

BerfArmagh

Rufus, Whats the story with the Gala in November. Any word on the itinerary?

pats-mc

If its the same Flea(Declan Mc Coy)  he had two nephews playing for cullyhanna as well. Good luck to the harps in the final. I remember seeing the same two teams play each other in the county feile final about 4 years ago. Tight match as well.