The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: shark on June 25, 2018, 08:45:50 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 25, 2018, 08:42:50 PM
Ronaldo lucky. How could it be a yellow?

There was nothing in it. Iranian went down as if he was shot.
Agreed. The yellow should have went to the Iranian for play acting.

Insane Bolt

imtommygunn

Some controversy in the spain game.

Captain Obvious

Spain just a bit lucky to top that group.

shark

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 25, 2018, 08:57:51 PM
Spain just a bit lucky to top that group.

Imagine if the Iranian guy had scored the late chance and put Portugal out. There would have been mayhem.

mrdeeds

And people thought VAR would get rid of talking points. Mad. I watched Spain game which was end to end but spent end of game flicking between both. So far a brilliant World Cup.

imtommygunn

Is it true var is not for offside decisions?

gallsman

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 25, 2018, 09:06:14 PM
Is it true var is not for offside decisions?

No, quite the contrary. No idea what the linesman was at as every UK commentator spent the first week telling us they were under specific instructions to let VAR sort it out for tight decisions and keep the flag down.

gallsman

Also, Martin Keown and Guy Mowbray are utter morons. Spent the match going on about how lucky Morocco are and how Spain wouldn't have expected a test. The same Morocco side largely outplayed Portugal last week and were terribly unlucky to lose their opener.

laoislad

Ronaldo should have been sent off.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gallsman

Absolutely, clearly threw a punch and partially caught him with it. The fact he didn't land clean and knock your man out doesn't mitigate s clear red card offence.

thewobbler

I'm not sure what it is some of you want from football, but if it's red cards for Ronaldo tonight, then I never wish to lay eyes upon the game that you do want.

lenny

Quote from: hardstation on June 25, 2018, 08:51:58 PM
Quote from: shark on June 25, 2018, 08:45:50 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 25, 2018, 08:42:50 PM
Ronaldo lucky. How could it be a yellow?

There was nothing in it. Iranian went down as if he was shot.
He made contact with his chin. If it was an accidental collision, he shouldn't be booked?
I thought it was deliberate.

It was a bit reckless but not deliberate. Having seen it a few times I felt it was a yellow card and the ref got that one right. Also the handball was correct according to the rule which makes mention of the hand being in an unnatural position. A defender cannot jump for a ball with his arm up in the air behind him as a backstop. Correct decision again and Alaan shearer is a completely useless pundit.

thewobbler

Quote from: hardstation on June 25, 2018, 09:33:08 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 25, 2018, 09:28:47 PM
I'm not sure what it is some of you want from football, but if it's red cards for Ronaldo tonight, then I never wish to lay eyes upon the game that you do want.
For me, he deliberately elbowed the fella on the chin. For me, that's a red card.

His path to the ball was being blocked so he wrestled a man out of his way. Flailing body parts tend to follow in these situations, especially if your opppnent mans up a little. As a result the Iranian got a gentle graze; the kind of impact you'd associate with a child poking you with a drinking straw.

When many years ago, they realised they needed sendings off as an ultimate deterrent for foul play, it really wasn't with this in mind.

gallsman

Unbelievable that anyone would try to say it wasn't intentional ffs. It was blatant!

Also, it's not about what anyone "wants" from the game of football. I of course want to see the best players and the best teams playing each other but not at the expense of the fecking rules. Whether you're Ronaldo or some walt from Panama that nobody has ever heard of, of you commit a red card offence, you should be sent off.