The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Bielsa is anything but a caricature.
The Leeds players had best be prepared to give their upmost in each game and then some more. Bielsa's Athletic Bilbao against Man U in the Europa league was a masterclass, wonderful football,  the high press, close marking, quick counterattack, rapid  change of pace, it just demands an extraordinary physical and mental effort form the players. His Chile team with a young Sanchez were a refreshing sight to see at the 2010 World Cup, quick one twos and the counterattack was on, all players press forward the Chilean fans going ape, then all rush back when the ball was lost.. 

Rufus T Firefly

Will take a point. In contrast to other games, started off very slowly and were on the back foot for a lot of the game. Were behind twice but showed a bit of character to equalise each time. Think Cooper was a big loss. Bielsa showed he's not afraid to make a change. Philips taken off early and Roofe subbed after scoring. Bamford did well when he came on. Also like the look of young Shackleton.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on August 21, 2018, 10:43:13 PM
Will take a point. In contrast to other games, started off very slowly and were on the back foot for a lot of the game. Were behind twice but showed a bit of character to equalise each time. Think Cooper was a big loss. Bielsa showed he's not afraid to make a change. Philips taken off early and Roofe subbed after scoring. Bamford did well when he came on. Also like the look of young Shackleton.

I'd have been happy with a point at Swansea before the game started.  I like the cut of Potter's jib also. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: seafoid on September 14, 2018, 08:07:14 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/blow-for-leeds-united-as-in-form-roofe-suffers-knee-injury-1.3628448

I sincerely hope that is not serious given that we have lost Bamford to injury for 4 months. I felt the small nature of the squad might ultimately be our undoing in the longer term, but it shows how things can turn quickly.

Mourne Rover

Bielsa is plainly an outstanding coach who has improved a range of underachieving Leeds players beyond recognition.  Part of his philosophy for the club involves maintaining a totally committed but relatively small squad, and the present spate of injuries is going to seriously test his approach during a difficult trip to Millwall. He has been very unlucky to lose key men like Bamford, Roofe, Hernandez and Berardi in such quick succession, and his unbeaten league run will be under considerable threat. However, whatever happens tomorrow, the club is probably in its best shape since relegation from the premiership in 2004. We also know that it is never easy being a Leeds fan and more twists and turns can be expected for the rest of the season.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 14, 2018, 02:22:34 PM
Bielsa is plainly an outstanding coach who has improved a range of underachieving Leeds players beyond recognition.  Part of his philosophy for the club involves maintaining a totally committed but relatively small squad, and the present spate of injuries is going to seriously test his approach during a difficult trip to Millwall. He has been very unlucky to lose key men like Bamford, Roofe, Hernandez and Berardi in such quick succession, and his unbeaten league run will be under considerable threat. However, whatever happens tomorrow, the club is probably in its best shape since relegation from the premiership in 2004. We also know that it is never easy being a Leeds fan and more twists and turns can be expected for the rest of the season.
Far too early to say this, last year I was at the burton 5-1 thrashing when we went 6W 2D 0L start and completely capitulate thereafter starting at Millwall away. Ironic that we play them on Saturday.

Losing Hernandez, Roofe and Bamford are huge, our creativity and finishing massively weakened. Cant see us scoring without them tbh. We are trouble I feel.

People need to remember Bielsa had 3 training sessions per day in preseason so we had a massive fitness advantage so far, that will even out soon and I seen signs of struggle against preston and Boro.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Mourne Rover

Christiansen certainly had an excellent start last season but it only took a few games for opposing managers to work out that Leeds had a keeper who could not deal with crosses, a midfield which was incredibly lightweight and a forward line in which Lasogga could finish but refused to run and Ekuban was exactly the opposite.

Bielsa is in a different league as a coach, and has his squad playing somewhere close to the top of their ability. Grayson was probably the only other Leeds manager in the last 15 years who really made a sustained impact, and, unless the injuries get totally out of hand, there is every prospect that Bielsa will have a serious rattle at promotion.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 14, 2018, 09:55:04 PM
Christiansen certainly had an excellent start last season but it only took a few games for opposing managers to work out that Leeds had a keeper who could not deal with crosses, a midfield which was incredibly lightweight and a forward line in which Lasogga could finish but refused to run and Ekuban was exactly the opposite.

Bielsa is in a different league as a coach, and has his squad playing somewhere close to the top of their ability. Grayson was probably the only other Leeds manager in the last 15 years who really made a sustained impact, and, unless the injuries get totally out of hand, there is every prospect that Bielsa will have a serious rattle at promotion.
I still think its too early to judge and imo I hold Bielsa partly responsible for how wafer thin our squad is, Christiansen and Orta went too far with 2 players for every position but Bielsa I feel has gone too far with our numbers especially given how far he pushes players.

If we draw or beat Millwall then I'll take some notice but honestly I'm expecting us to get battered out the gate. Hope your right btw :D.

Mourne Rover

Bielsa can only be properly judged at the end of the season but the indications are strongly positive at this stage. Leeds have had a tough series of early fixtures and are definitely ahead of schedule. Millwall is going to be a huge test and a point would be a big result in the circumstances.

Mourne Rover

A point was duly delivered through a dramatic 90th minute equaliser from Harrison, although Millwall then hit the post and had one kicked off the line in injury time. Bielsa had words with his Millwall counterpart as it all got a bit tasty along the way and it has to go down as an excellent result which keeps Leeds top of the league. We have drawn three of our last four games, which has allowed the chasing pack to narrow the gap in a very tight division, but we are still unbeaten and Bielsa's use of his subs made all the difference.

SLIGONIAN

Today was huge for me esp with who we were missing, Roberts missed some great chances and Cooper missed a sitter before we scored, better team for 90 mins but my heart in those last 5 mins was beating fast, every ball into our box looked like a goal, we held on and reacted well after there goal, need roofe and Hernandez back asap, Preston at home next who destroyed us in carling cup hopefully we will have learned alot then, great stuff

SLIGONIAN

This performance against Preston tonight is the best I've seen from a Leeds team in years, high tempo, energy from start to finish, creating amazing chances from amazing football, and bullying them in defence. Outstanding. Missed easy chances the only negative. Unbelievable football at times. 3-0 currently.  :) :) :)

Mourne Rover

It was an outstanding performance, although there is a long way to go and we are probably better to avoid allowing expectations to get out of control at such an early stage in the season. However, the way Bielsa has adjusted to losing both our main strikers and our most creative midfielder, and brought in young replacements without any drop in standards so far, was hugely impressive.  There may still be a doubt about the overall strength of our squad but the manager has done an amazing job to date.