Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 11, 2017, 06:27:49 PM
This year it would have been between Armagh and roscommon for a semi final spot. And only 2 between tyrone/mayo/dublin. Now imagine THAT.
Armagh and Roscommon would have finished 3rd and 4th behind Monaghan,Kerry in their group this year.  Dublin would top the other group with Tyrone and Mayo in a battle to finish 2nd.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 11, 2017, 07:03:07 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 11, 2017, 06:27:49 PM
This year it would have been between Armagh and roscommon for a semi final spot. And only 2 between tyrone/mayo/dublin. Now imagine THAT.
Armagh and Roscommon would have finished 3rd and 4th behind Monaghan,Kerry in their group this year.  Dublin would top the other group with Tyrone and Mayo in a battle to finish 2nd.

I didn't know you had the power to observe parallel universes..

Rossfan

Kerry would have topped the group with 6 points.
2nd would have been between us and Monaghan.
Sure while I'm at it we'd bate Tyrone in the SF and lose to our western neighbours in the Final replay.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

If we by some far stretch of the imagination we beat Kerry this year. It would be great, marvelous in fact. If we beat them in the Super 8 next year, I'd imagine it would feel no better than beating them in a League Match. The Same would go for Tyrone with Dublin. Like Roscommon a week ago, they showed their hand to Mayo and Mayo got a second chance to make amends. A beaten Dublin or Kerry would get a second chance to see the hand of their aggressor and learn how to beat them later.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 10, 2017, 09:32:41 PM
At the beginning of the year, I expected us to meet Kerry as Connacht Champions and I expected us to beat them. I actually thought it was the easier side of the draw avoiding Tyrone and Dublin.  We are were we are the long way.  I still strangely expect us to win!

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 11, 2017, 09:06:13 PM
If we by some far stretch of the imagination we beat Kerry this year. It would be great, marvelous in fact.

Imagination running wild or unable to make up your mind?  ;)

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 11, 2017, 09:33:01 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 10, 2017, 09:32:41 PM
At the beginning of the year, I expected us to meet Kerry as Connacht Champions and I expected us to beat them. I actually thought it was the easier side of the draw avoiding Tyrone and Dublin.  We are were we are the long way.  I still strangely expect us to win!

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 11, 2017, 09:06:13 PM
If we by some far stretch of the imagination we beat Kerry this year. It would be great, marvelous in fact.

Imagination running wild or unable to make up your mind?  ;)

Was trying to play my earlier post down! Yeah still expect us to win!   :)

Fuzzman

Who was the last team who got to an AI final that came from nowhere?
Down 2010, Fuzz
OK OK besides them smart ass

From the Bunker

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 12, 2017, 12:29:12 AM
Down 2010, Fuzz

Mayo 1996! Were in Division 3!

Fuzzman

Exactly Bunker. Its a very rare occurrence yet so many of us want a system that promotes the shock result and want the beat teams to lose.

I think what Jim McGuiness did to Donegal football should be the blueprint for any other county in the top 16 to follow.
This was a team who were losing first round games to Antrim and he showed what can be achieved.

I'd love to know what Brolly and ORourke would like their solution to be. Most counties don't want to play in B championships.
I think most Armagh, Roscommon and even Tyrone fans when we lose to Dublin, would say it was an enjoyable season.
Not everyone can make it to the final or semis.
But it would be nice.

Rossfan

Good season for us winning only our 3rd Connacht in 26 years. 22nd or 13rd over all though.
Previous 2 were flash in the pans. We're hoping we're on the cusp of better things.
However if I'd been born and raised a few miles to the East in either Laythrum or Larryland  what would Inter County football have to offer me?
Would I like to have the chance of winning an AI Junior or Inter or would I prefer batins left right and centre?
I know the Larries burst a few balloons over the years but how many Cups won?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Down 2010, Fuzz
Sligo beat Tyrone in 02. The previous year they were out in the QFs
Would that not count ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on August 12, 2017, 11:12:33 AM
Down 2010, Fuzz
Would that not count ?

Yes, if he did not ask Who was the last team who got to an AI final that came from nowhere?

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 12, 2017, 11:15:27 AM
Down 2010, Fuzz
Would that not count ?

Yes, if he did not ask Who was the last team who got to an AI final that came from nowhere?
But sher Tyrone is the back arse  of beyond even in northern Ireland
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: seafoid on August 12, 2017, 11:39:50 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 12, 2017, 11:15:27 AM
Down 2010, Fuzz
Would that not count ?

But sher Tyrone is the back arse  of beyond even in northern Ireland

A great partitionist statement there seafoid, if ever I saw one! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Captain Obvious

Down 2010, Fuzz
Tyrone in 2008. Knocked out of the 2006,07 championships by average Meath,Laois sides. In 2008 knocked out of Ulster by Down and weren't given much of chance to do much that summer, then out of nowhere everything fell in place against Dublin in the All Ireland quarter final and then only had to beat Wexford to reach the AI final, Armagh letting their eye off the ball a big help there.

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 12, 2017, 12:57:09 AM
I think what Jim McGuiness did to Donegal football should be the blueprint for any other county in the top 16 to follow.
This was a team who were losing first round games to Antrim and he showed what can be achieved.
What McGuiness did was get talented bunch of players that were underachieving to achieve. The players had to buy into his beliefs and leave their own egos behind.  While he still has his critics for the system of play he used i think the balance he struck between defence and attack in 2012 was as good as any All Ireland winner the last decade.

At the moment what county is like Donegal was in 2010 (before MGuiness arrived) Cork,Galway? the best you are going to get out of some other counties is provincial titles and/or the rare semi final appearance but the super 8 will make it even tougher for those teams to reach the final 4 now.