Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

i fear thats the wrong atitude gold these teams will only get better in time, to throw in the towel now would be silly, did we throw in the towel when we got tanked or in the hurling getting tanked by the likes of Cork Limerick and kilkenny and co? hey have to start somewhere.

also the score difference may play a part in this seasons outcome so a strong team should be sent out. if tipp beat them by twenty then we should be looking for a bigger score

imtommygunn

McGourty won't like that...

I like the balance of that team better than the starting Wicklow team though. Forwards in the full forward line and defenders in defense is always a bonus!

imtommygunn

Yep agreed. He scored 4 points I think and is not a free taker so that is a very good return.

I do think that is, McGourty aside, a stronger team though. Is Kieran Close in the panel this year? Problem in the FF line is when all are fit too many left footers! In that regard good to see Tomas McCann in there - he is , I think, a right footer.

A Quinn Martin Production

From BBC Sport

Antrim 2-25 0-06 Kilkenny

Antrim made it two wins out of two in the Allianz National Football League Division Four by beating Kilkenny 2-25 to 0-6 at Casement Park. The Saffrons started by registering eight unanswered points and it was 15 minutes before Kilkenny got on the scoresheet with an Ed Brennan point.

Mark Dougan scored the first goal on 20 minutes and then Terry O'Neill netted to leave it 2-15 to 0-3 at the break. Antrim continued to dominate and Paddy Cunningham ended with a tally of 0-11.

Cunningham and Dougan were the predominant scorers in Antrim's early blitz and Dougan blasted the ball into the roof of the net to confirm his side's dominance. The second goal came when visiting goalkeeper David Lynch made a mess of a kickout and Terry O'Neill lobbed the ball into the net from 45 yards.

The second half was a disjointed affair in which each manager made five substitutions. Cunningham added four points to his first-half tally while Brennan scored two for Kilkenny and David Herrity scored their only point from play.

Antrim: S McGreevy, T Scullion, A McClean, K O'Boyle, J Loughrey, S Kelly (capt), J Crozier, J Quinn, M McCann, T O'Neill, K Niblock, A Gallagher, T McCann, M Dougan, P Cunningham.

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

spiritof91and94

Irish News today reports that Antrim rebel Kevin McGourty has been axed by Jody Gormley for the NFL as he didnt attend training last week.

Maximus Marillius

Mc Gourty has been dropped from the county panel according to the Irish News...reason given...failure to attend training last week.

Minder

Is he anything to Kevin Mc Gourty? Brave yourself for a media onslaught by Mister Mc Gourty.........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on February 11, 2008, 10:36:52 AM
Mc Gourty has been dropped from the county panel according to the Irish News...reason given...failure to attend training last week.

Im sure we wont hear another word about it...........  ;)

illdecide

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on February 11, 2008, 10:34:22 AM
Irish News today reports that Antrim rebel Kevin McCourty has been axed by Jody Gormley for the NFL as he didnt attend training last week -

That lad McGourty [Edited by Mod3], have had a few run ins with him over the years. His problem is he thinks he's too good to be playing for Antrim, in fairness to him he can play a bit and is a good player but his attitude stinks and i wouldn't have him about me either...

Jasus lads don't be so harsh on the spelling...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

orangeman

Why are we surprised by this news ?  ??? ???

Minder

Ah but he is a real maverick, just wants to win,Antrim are not professional enough for him, his high standards are not being met etc etc etc. Its getting old Kevin. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Glensman

Not stirring, not blowing up his ego, not enjoying even coming on and speaking about it

BUT

McGourty is one of our best players and must know this himself.
He did indeed get dropped to the bench for missing training on Thursday. It was a match against Kilkenny for god's sake so take being dropped and realise you will walk back into the team after an easy win.
Then I believe he did a no show with the team on Saturday and proceeded to have a few in the social club at Casement during the game.

What goes on in that man's head?

PS don't like speaking about such non GAA stuff but its pretty relevant to the year ahead.

culchy1

Apparently he turned up for the team bus for the wicklow match full drunk!

might have something to do with it. ;)

i'm sure kevin will express himself on the issue when brendy crossan catches up with him.
if only he wud take his head from his arse and just play football.

nrico2006

Tomorrow's Irish News will no doubt have an interview and picture!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

rashCharacter

Why has this got its own thread, should be on the local antrim footabll thread!