Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Title challenge well and truely on.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Doogie Browser

Villa will count the cost of sundays slip up at home to Stoke.  We are away to Anfield and Old Trafford soon and that could be where the six points are made up by the gooners (if they win their games). 

nutsy--1

If arsenal can continue to play well against the big teams fourth place should be ours. Didn't see the goals last night but i heard bentner's second was good. With goal difference very tight with us and Villa it will go down the last match of the season imo.

shark

Quote from: nutsy--1 on March 04, 2009, 09:55:02 AM
If arsenal can continue to play well against the big teams fourth place should be ours. Didn't see the goals last night but i heard bentner's second was good. With goal difference very tight with us and Villa it will go down the last match of the season imo.

With Villa at home to an already relegated Newcastle  :D

Dinny Breen

Nice to see the young guns continue the tradition of beating the Spuds  :D

QuoteTwo late goals at White Hart Lane saw Arsenal book an FA Youth Cup semi final place at the expense of North London rivals Tottenham on Thursday evening.

The young Gunners saw off their counterparts 3-1 in the quarter finals of the competition after initially falling behind to an early Jonathan Obika goal, live in front of the Setanta Sports cameras.

The Spurs striker turned home Andros Townsend's cross from the left wing after just six minutes to give the hosts the lead after a confident start, and the half continued to offer chances for both sides.

Obika could have added a second but sidefooted Ryan Mason's dinked ball wide, while Jack Wilshere's run and shot were blocked. Gilles Sunu had Arsenal's best chance of the half towards the break when he took on Wilshere's perfectly-weighted through ball, but Oscar Jansson denied the striker with a save low to his right.

Arsenal were level within five minutes of the start of the second half when Kyle Bartley met a near-post corner with the back of his head, and Jansson had to foil Gunners captain Jay Emmanuel-Thomas as Steve Bould's youngsters gleaned a confidence from their equaliser.

Sanchez Watt skimmed the bar with a shot for Arsenal while Mason fired wide for Spurs as the game became more stretched and the action flowed from end to end.

However, Emmanuel-Thomas stepped up in the 90th minute to fire a shot from the edge of the area past Jansson – with the help of a slight deflection – as Arsenal snatched an advantage at the death.

There was enough injury time for Ryhs Murphy to latch onto a long ball forward and confidently send a low effort past Jansson as Arsenal added gloss to the scoreline.

The Gunners will now face either Norwich or Manchester City away in the semis.
#newbridgeornowhere

Gaffer

C,mon lads. Need a comfortable win here today !
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

gawa316

Minder

Is Almunia gonna try and save any of these Pens...........?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Well done Gooners, i was expecting Riise to put his out of the stadium
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: hardstation on March 11, 2009, 10:32:04 PM
Both 'keepers are dung.

For about 4 pens in a row the Roma keeper just fell on his hole.

Arse lucky enough tonight. Thankfully for them Baptista couldn't kick snow off a rope.

ONeill

Gaffer

What a relief is all I can say !!!!

Hate the penalty shootout when the Gunners are involved. It dates back to 1980 when we lost the Cup Winners Cup Final shootout against Valencia ( whatever happened to them)  when Rixie missed the penalty.

Thank God we 're through so I dont have to listen to the Man U ones tomorrow at work.

Going to the Man City game on April 4TH. Got a ticket on Ticket Exchange in the Section behind the Arsenal Dugout Row 18.

Might take a dander up and get some autographs
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Dinny Breen

Terrible game, Almunia is terrible at penalty shoot-outs really shocking.

Still a quarter-final to look forward to and apart from maybe Barca there really is nothing there to fear for this Arsenal side but still would be happy for Arsenal to avoid any of the other English sides.
#newbridgeornowhere

ildanach

poor performance but still we are through. qf will be on early april so hopefully cesc will be back then too.
Two big games in the next week. Blackburn on saturday & Hull in the cup on tuesday. a win against blackburn and we are back level with villa .pressure on them then on sunday against spuds then hull in the qf of the cup
would like to see eduardo and bentner together up front on saturday,then use van persie and eduardo or (adebayor if he is back) on tuesday. 
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

ONeill

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 12, 2009, 09:30:19 AM
Terrible game, Almunia is terrible at penalty shoot-outs really shocking.

Jaysus are you serious? Almunia is well known for his penalty shootout ability and has made a collection of important saves from the spot. Rem the cup v Sheff Utd as well as a few others (Doncaster I think stands out). His penalty saved v Robbie Keane made him a shot-stopping legend.

Yesterday he saved one and went the correct way three times. You have to give the penalty takers credit too, they can make the keeper look like a dick if they send him the other way.