Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 13, 2021, 10:56:12 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 13, 2021, 10:04:42 AM
So where schools are taking in children and half the kids are at home being home schooled or doing lessons online, will the children in school be in a better position educational wise, for being taught in class?

You would have to assume that the school teaching is better, parents aren't qualified teachers and couldn't dedicate the same amount of time.

But it this way I wouldn't ever expect a teacher to do my engineering job to the same standard that I do, takes years to learn these skills at uni and on the job.

In fairness, I don't think teachers can dedicate the same amount of time in the class....if they're 33 in a class say.

Parents could probably do more in an hour with their child, than a teacher would do all day.

It's the social side that they need.

marty34

Quote from: JoG2 on January 13, 2021, 12:10:07 PM
So where schools are taking in children and half the kids are at home being home schooled or doing lessons online, will the children in school be in a better position educational wise, for being taught in class?

I'd say no, for 2 reasons (primary school level) . Those in school will, from I've heard be clumped with pupils from other years ie P1-4 in a classroom or 2. P5-P7 clumped together. Teachers changing day by day. So those in school will be running through the same stuff as those at home. And, it's only a matter of weeks in the grand scheme of things

Is that not a good thing that they're mixed - composite classes and all that.  That's the norm in Africa.

JoG2

Quote from: marty34 on January 13, 2021, 08:45:24 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 13, 2021, 12:10:07 PM

I'd say no, for 2 reasons (primary school level) . Those in school will, from I've heard be clumped with pupils from other years ie P1-4 in a classroom or 2. P5-P7 clumped together. Teachers changing day by day. So those in school will be running through the same stuff as those at home. And, it's only a matter of weeks in the grand scheme of things

Is that not a good thing that they're mixed - composite classes and all that.  That's the norm in Africa.

Maybe with a set teacher Marty. Atm with schools (maybe not all) the teachers change regularly and help with the packs the kids at home are using.

theticklemister

The ante has been upped for me the day. We have to dedicate a lot more time to the kids at home. So we give them a welcome and a goodbye 10/15 minute video per day. But we have to do this when the other wains are in class. So we say to the wans we are teaching to get on with work while we  chat to twenty kids online.

We also have to send teacher led activities for lessons on videos back home.

On top of that we still have to send out lessons on google and mark them as well as well as look after all the ones in class.

ATM we send work and messages on google classroom and we mark it. Seemed okay for me. But not so....

delgany

DENI have now indicated that a child working from home, must produce work that they send back to their teacher (daily or weekly- not clear on that part )or they are marked absent for that specific day(s)!

Minder

Quote from: delgany on January 13, 2021, 11:22:07 PM
DENI have now indicated that a child working from home, must produce work that they send back to their teacher (daily or weekly- not clear on that part )or they are marked absent for that specific day(s)!

We upload two pieces of work a day (P4) for my wee fella each day onto MS Teams, we we told the other day any children not engaging with the home learning would be marked absent.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Minder on January 14, 2021, 08:38:01 AM

We upload two pieces of work a day (P4) for my wee fella each day onto MS Teams, we we told the other day any children not engaging with the home learning would be marked absent.

Joke

trailer

They should've marked the teachers absent back in the first lockdown when many of them took it as an early summer holiday. Any teacher moaning about workloads or split teaching has only themselves to blame. They forced the schools closed. They got exactly what they wanted. Now they need to get on with the business of teaching.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on January 14, 2021, 09:02:14 AM

They should've marked the teachers absent back in the first lockdown when many of them took it as an early summer holiday. Any teacher moaning about workloads or split teaching has only themselves to blame. They forced the schools closed. They got exactly what they wanted. Now they need to get on with the business of teaching.

Who forced the schools closed? The government closed the schools, pressure from the rise of the virus, with the numbers rising as they are and have been are you for having the schools opened now?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: trailer on January 14, 2021, 09:02:14 AM

Listen, that first lockdown was very important in getting my golf handicap down into single figures. This time the weather is shit so I might as well do a bit of teaching.

JimStynes

Poor Seany hasn't got the head lifted he's that busy with home schooling.

trailer

We bit the bullet and got a Teacher to help out. She does an hour 3 days a week on Zoom making sure the eldest is keeping on top of things.

delgany

Quote from: trailer on January 14, 2021, 05:05:56 PM
We bit the bullet and got a Teacher to help out. She does an hour 3 days a week on Zoom making sure the eldest is keeping on top of things.

Keep at the spellings!

Is this one of the teaching staff that were on summer holidays during the first lockdown?

Itchy

I hope you are paying top dollar trailer and not abusing this poor teacher, one of the lucky few to survive this pandemic.

restorepride

So, is it actually tutoring?