Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrimtain

Quote from: Don Draper on June 26, 2018, 11:10:52 AM
Quote from: OTF on June 26, 2018, 11:04:19 AM
I'd give them some chance against the winners of Armagh and Clare and that would be a good measure of how far we've come and of the others IMO no chance
Hard to disagree. A lot depends on how we bounce back from Sunday. They're in the gym tonight, and out tomorrow night. I'd love a crack off either of the above two. Failing that, its a descending scale of Mayo-Tyrone-Monaghan, depending on venues, most likely Croke Park double headers inevitably.

As I have said before, we will not be drawn against the winners of Armagh and Clare. The GAA do not want us playIng in the Super 8s. They will draw us out against Mayo or Tyrone. FACT!!

Chrimtain

Quote from: Don Draper on June 26, 2018, 11:20:36 AM
Quote from: Chrimtain on June 26, 2018, 11:18:21 AM
Quote from: Unlaoised on June 26, 2018, 10:14:38 AM
Fitness was a big factor Sunday we just weren't used to that pace of football but we did well for 30 minutes very well infact.

Brody and Begley were the standout players and I was proud of the team.

The best support they have got in a long long time as well was a great atmosphere up there when Kingston kicked them two points in the first half the roar was unreal !

Bring on the super 8s we might loose every game but waht an experience and what a chance to creat history ...Would love to see Kerry up here in Portlaoise!

Is there a case for playing Graham Brody out the field? It seems to me he would make a very strong attacking half back.
God no. He's magnificent where he is. Out the field, he's just another player.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that he has the ability to be more than 'just another player' out the field. I'd go so far as to suggest he might be up there with Tom Kelly.

Don Draper

Quote from: Chrimtain on June 26, 2018, 11:31:13 AM
Fitness was a big factor Sunday we just weren't used to that pace of football but we did well for 30 minutes very well infact.

The best support they have got in a long long time as well was a great atmosphere up there when Kingston kicked them two points in the first half the roar was unreal !

Bring on the super 8s we might loose every game but waht an experience and what a chance to creat history ...Would love to see Kerry up here in Portlaoise!

Is there a case for playing Graham Brody out the field? It seems to me he would make a very strong attacking half back.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that he has the ability to be more than 'just another player' out the field. I'd go so far as to suggest he might be up there with Tom Kelly.
Its a different ball game just sauntering out the field occasionally, than chasing a f**ker like Ciaran Kilkenny around the field.

Brody is excellent at what he does, he at best decent out the field. Why take away that asset.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Chrimtain on June 26, 2018, 11:31:13 AM

Troll surely? You have obviously never seen Tom Kelly playing in the flesh at his best!

Joeythelips

I'd give them some chance against the winners of Armagh and Clare and that would be a good measure of how far we've come and of the others IMO no chance
Hard to disagree. A lot depends on how we bounce back from Sunday. They're in the gym tonight, and out tomorrow night. I'd love a crack off either of the above two. Failing that, its a descending scale of Mayo-Tyrone-Monaghan, depending on venues, most likely Croke Park double headers inevitably.

I watched Meath v Tyrone and  thought Tyrone were very lucky to get out with a win.  Themselves and Monaghan are above Laois in terms of development but I think Ulster football is in decline. Their is no doubt that Laois will be the team everyone wants to get in the next round however. A team from Div 4 who don't play a blanket defence and just shipped a hammering. I thought Laois showed sparks of progress in the first half against Dublin, hopefully they can give a better account of themselves in the qualifiers.

OTF

Quote from: Chrimtain on June 26, 2018, 11:24:01 AM

As I have said before, we will not be drawn against the winners of Armagh and Clare. The GAA do not want us playIng in the Super 8s. They will draw us out against Mayo or Tyrone. FACT!!

Something that might happen in the future can not be fact, I like yourself have my suspicions.
I thought all along we were going to draw Kildare which can't still be ruled out I suppose.
Clare and Armagh are near our level,we performed poorly again Clare recently and for that reason it would give us some measure of how much we have come on.
I for one would not be looking forward to meeting Kerry in Portlaoise or anywhere else. Dublin at least had the decency to pull up when the game was won, no pulling up with them hungry f*****s.

OTF

Quote from: Joeythelips on June 26, 2018, 11:52:16 AM

I watched Meath v Tyrone and  thought Tyrone were very lucky to get out with a win.  Themselves and Monaghan are above Laois in terms of development but I think Ulster football is in decline. Their is no doubt that Laois will be the team everyone wants to get in the next round however. A team from Div 4 who don't play a blanket defence and just shipped a hammering. I thought Laois showed sparks of progress in the first half against Dublin, hopefully they can give a better account of themselves in the qualifiers.

Will Armagh want to draw us

Andy06

Question.
Is the rule for home advantage to div 3/4 teams applied the whole way through the qualifiers?
I generally remember round 4 of previous years being played in neutral venues as opposed to given to the team drawn first.

redsetanta

In my opinion I dont think getting to the Super 8's would do anything to progress this team. As someone mentioned while Kerry coming to Portlaoise would be a good occasion they could give us a right hiding and in fairness we could be looking at 3 heavy defeats. I'm not so sure it's the way to go. A gutsy performance against a Mayo or Monaghan but ultimately coming up short would be a better scenario right now for this team. Finish this year on a high, give the lads a break and Sugrue can look forward to the club championship and planning to try and get promoted Div 2.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

galwayman

Don Draper

galwayman

Quote from: Don Draper on June 26, 2018, 12:43:46 PM
Quote from: galwayman on June 26, 2018, 12:42:39 PM
The clown that runs that MayoGaaBlog is one insufferable tool.
You would think that  ;D
I somehow managed to post this in the wrong place. Damn iphone :-)
Ah man - nothing to do with where I'm from at all but the lad is arrogant beyond belief. If he was an ice cream he would lick himself.

The PRO

Quote from: Don Draper on June 26, 2018, 11:08:24 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on June 26, 2018, 11:00:38 AM
Maybe so and deep down I'm guessing that's how it will pan out. But maybe this is something worth fighting for and taking it as far as it goes. There is no legal obligation on Kildare (so far) to play in Croke Park and there wasn't on us to play in Kilkenny. The GAA will be embarrassed and humbled by a no show and they have needed that jolt for a long time
And I dont disagree with that but, I make these two points and let it go then:

They've done f**k all with Newbridge over the past 20 years and thats on them.
They had a chance stand with us in 2015 and turned their backs on us, like every other county in Leinster. Our CB shouldn't be slow in reminding them of that too when and if they come looking for support.

Kildare should take their hush money, do a deal on either selling Conleths or redeveloping it, and move on.
Kildare are snookered here. If they hold firm, you can imagine the response they'll get from Tom Ryan when they go with the begging bowl for redeveloping their "stadium".
As Don says, this will be sorted as the week goes on with the promise of a nice few quid for the homeless!

Chrimtain

Quote from: The PRO on June 26, 2018, 02:11:51 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 26, 2018, 11:08:24 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on June 26, 2018, 11:00:38 AM
Maybe so and deep down I'm guessing that's how it will pan out. But maybe this is something worth fighting for and taking it as far as it goes. There is no legal obligation on Kildare (so far) to play in Croke Park and there wasn't on us to play in Kilkenny. The GAA will be embarrassed and humbled by a no show and they have needed that jolt for a long time
And I dont disagree with that but, I make these two points and let it go then:

They've done f**k all with Newbridge over the past 20 years and thats on them.
They had a chance stand with us in 2015 and turned their backs on us, like every other county in Leinster. Our CB shouldn't be slow in reminding them of that too when and if they come looking for support.

Kildare should take their hush money, do a deal on either selling Conleths or redeveloping it, and move on.
Kildare are snookered here. If they hold firm, you can imagine the response they'll get from Tom Ryan when they go with the begging bowl for redeveloping their "stadium".
As Don says, this will be sorted as the week goes on with the promise of a nice few quid for the homeless!

A few quid may satisfy the Kildare County Board, but what about O'Neill and the players? What do they get out of it?

Keyser Söze

O' Neill is 100% right. But it shouldn't have been him saying it.
In many ways, he can't back down.
The Chairman/Secretary of the CB could have taken this stance, got something behind the scenes, got the game moved to Tullamore/Portlaoise and came out and said "we have been given assurrances regarding this matter into the future".
O' Neill can't do this because it's stuff that isn't within his remit.

I really think this has been a major tactical error. They picked the right battle, one in which they are technically right and will gather maximum public support- big slip up in the approach they took.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......