Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Quote from: The PRO on May 08, 2018, 10:31:32 AM
O'Carroll and Lowry definitely out for Saturday. I think Glynn may not be fully ready either.

I can see the team being something like;

Brody

Attride Timmons Dillon

Strong or O'Connor Begley Collins

O'Loughlin Lillis

P Kingston at 11 with 2 from Carroll, Donoher and Farrell on the wings.

Munnelly or Conway D Kingston Walsh

Interesting that of all the talk around a fresh approach, only Trevor Collins is likely to make the step up to the championship team after the league. We essentially will probably start with the same team that we had for the last 3 years or so.

Laoiseabu

Trevor Collins was on the team last year sure. He was corner back in the 10 point loss to Clare in the qualifiers . So it is essentially the same team or almost

BallyroanAbu

In fairness the mentality has improved, which I felt was our huge issue.

Laoiseabu

Well id say there is a more positive mentality . Last year we were coming into the championship off the back of Division 3 relegation . This year we are coming in off the back of a successful promotion campaign back to division 3 . I know it's only div 4 but at least it's a bit of positivity and momentum . My main worry would be that this has been more or less the same team the last few years and this will be another year now for some of those older legs. Not many of the younger guys seem to have really put a hand up.

The PRO

To be fair it's only my guess at the team.
Championship debuts are likely for a few lads as it's a 21 man game these days. I'd imagine Carroll will either start or come on. Nerney might appear. Possibly Holland or Finn?

Laoiseabu

Are Crowley, Chris Finn, Damien oc , Aaron Dowling in with a shout these days ? Or are they just squad players? I think he'll go with, Brody, Attride , Timmons, Dillon, Collins, Begley, Strong, Jol , Lillis, Farrell, P Kingston, Glynn, Ross, Donie, Walsh

Tony

There are plenty of the newer bunch in with a shout of a starting place. If any of them don't make the starting 15, they will be strong substitutes off the bench. Saying that we haven't made progress in that regard is nonsense.

The PRO

Quote from: Tony on May 08, 2018, 02:12:20 PM
There are plenty of the newer bunch in with a shout of a starting place. If any of them don't make the starting 15, they will be strong substitutes off the bench. Saying that we haven't made progress in that regard is nonsense.
I didn't see anyone say "we haven't made progress". The thrust of the last few posts was that the starting team may not have many new faces to championship football. That's all was said.

Laoiseabu

The newer gang will be getting more game time eventually as i understand a couple of the older gang will not be committing next year.

Clubber Lang

I feel a number of the 'old guard' have responded positively to the challenge put down by the younger players- you can't ask anymore than that. They also seem to be playing to a gameplan and there seems to be more honesty to tackle, defend and turn over the ball. My biggest gripe with Laois the last number of years was the inability to defend with lads marking space without real attempts being made to do the hard work of tracking runners, putting in tackles and sacrificing your own attacking game for the good of the team. Sugru is demanding this of the players this year. If they don't step up then they will be shipped out as a number of younger players are putting their hands up to play. Even if the younger players don't break into the starting team over the next few weeks they will have benefitted hugely from training and being involved in a positive set-up-this will stand to Laois football over the next 12-24 months. 

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Andy06

It is more or less the same team but i think we have been hard done by injuries and defections at the moment. I would have expected Eoin Lowry and Daniel O'Reilly to be 2 names in the starting 15 for the game against Wexford if they were fit and available. Throw in Robbie Piggott going to the States and it takes away another potential starter on the half back line.
To be honest I dont think a brand new starting 15 is needed at this point. If we could have gotten the above in, make the likes of Dillon and Farrell more established players then we would be making progress while also putting pressure on the older heads to fight for their places.

Stradism

Quote from: Laoiseabu on May 08, 2018, 01:00:23 PM
Are Crowley, Chris Finn, Damien oc , Aaron Dowling in with a shout these days ? Or are they just squad players? I think he'll go with, Brody, Attride , Timmons, Dillon, Collins, Begley, Strong, Jol , Lillis, Farrell, P Kingston, Glynn, Ross, Donie, Walsh

Crowley is in with the U20s as far as I know.
O' Connor back from a fairly long term injury but hopefully will feature.
Dowling has been injured the past month or so.

Would be 95% sure this will be the team.
With Jamie Farrell and Donoher fighting with Glynn for 12. And Conway fighting with Munnelly for 13.

justinn

LAOIS: Graham Brody; Ruaidhri C-Fennell, Mark Timmons, Gareth Dillon; Trevor Collins, Colm Begley, Stephen Attride; John O'Louhlin, Kieran Lillis; Alan Farrell, Donie Kingston, Damien O'Connor; Ross Munnelly, Gary Walsh, David Conway.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!