The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avondhu star

Quote from: SHEEDY on February 03, 2018, 08:58:03 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 02, 2018, 05:54:33 PM
At The Races loses all Irish racetracks to Racing UK from 2019.
big blow for irish racing, ATR's has given massive exposure to irish meetings. a lot of people wont have the same access to racing uk. on another note its great to see some top quality horse on show at the 'dublin festival' at leopardstown this weekend.
We can presume that the financial payments to Irish courses must be better under the new deal. The British bookmaker shops will have access to Irish racing. Access for Joe Punter sitting at home will come at a cost but thats the way all sports are going
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Hound

I was following a young Irish jockey, Rossa Ryan, who had a good few winners in early/mid January on the AW tracks in England. But he's only had one ride in the last 16 days (after having 21 rides in the previous 9 days).

Anyone have any insight why that might be?

beer baron

Quote from: Hound on February 06, 2018, 10:50:01 AM
I was following a young Irish jockey, Rossa Ryan, who had a good few winners in early/mid January on the AW tracks in England. But he's only had one ride in the last 16 days (after having 21 rides in the previous 9 days).

I'm guessing Hannon thinks he's using up his claim too quickly, has 30 wins already, another 20(i think) and he's down to a 3lb claimer, i'd say Hannon might want him for some early season handicaps and not wasting his claim on low money races on the all weather. Might have 1 or 2 for that Easter Meeting too.

drici

RTÉ get the Thyestes Day back at Gowran Park in January and will be also showing Easter Tuesday and the 1st Sunday in December from Fairyhouse.

Make sure to have the RTÉ aerial working by 2019 to be sure of being able to watch it.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Hound on February 06, 2018, 10:50:01 AM

Cant answer that for definite but it is always worth keeping an eye on the Irish journeymen jockeys like Richie McClernon, Paddy Brennan etc. They are up and down the motorways to Kelso Perth and out in to the West Country tracks often for one ride. I got Paddy Brennan on  20/1 today, Towering and Geraghty on Herewegoherewego at 11/2, 2 singles and a double. Geraghty came second but I collected anyway. Thats was Geraghtys only ride in Market Rasen today so they must have been cobfident.   I am very familiar with the British motorways and see how tough a game it is for these boys. Perth one day and Exeter the next all in the hope of clicking a good one that might make Cheltenham or Aintree.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: drici on February 06, 2018, 02:03:45 PM

RTÉ get the Thyestes Day back at Gowran Park in January and will be also showing Easter Tuesday and the 1st Sunday in December from Fairyhouse.

Make sure to have the RTÉ aerial working by 2019 to be sure of being able to watch it.

Welcome development but they had those days live 15 years ago. They're only getting back what they cut from the schedule over the last decade.

Beer Baron is spot on re Rossa Ryan. He was very highly thought of on the flapping circuit. No point in wasting his claim during the depths of winter on bucket and spade racing.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

drici

Indeed, Thyestes Day was an afternoon off work for many to watch it on RTÉ but not when Attheraces took it over solely.
Looks like that attitude will return as it will be a rare enough thing to see Irish Racing on the television and unlikely that an expensive pay to view channel will allow the RTÉ days to be shown on any platform that they are on. The - This Programme Is Not Available - sign will be up and an aerial will be necessary.

Aaron Boone

What ATR does well is the quieter meetings at the likes of Tramore or Ballinrobe. Gary O'Brien always worth watching. The current coverage will b diluted within the one Racing UK channel.

Avondhu star

Quote from: drici on February 06, 2018, 09:41:06 PM
Indeed, Thyestes Day was an afternoon off work for many to watch it on RTÉ but not when Attheraces took it over solely.
Looks like that attitude will return as it will be a rare enough thing to see Irish Racing on the television and unlikely that an expensive pay to view channel will allow the RTÉ days to be shown on any platform that they are on. The - This Programme Is Not Available - sign will be up and an aerial will be necessary.
I don't know how true it is but I was told that that tracks like Mallow (some call it Cork but I will never do so no more than the Junction being called Tipprrary) can exist on the money they get from At the Races. The provincial tracks provide a good option to the British shops because the British punters are familiar with the Irish trainers and jockeys
Far better than relying on racing from Deauville Hong Kong or South Africa

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hound

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 06, 2018, 07:48:01 PM

it is always worth keeping an eye on the Irish journeymen jockeys like Richie McClernon, Paddy Brennan etc. They are up and down the motorways to Kelso Perth and out in to the West Country tracks often for one ride. I got Paddy Brennan on  20/1 today, Towering and Geraghty on Herewegoherewego at 11/2, 2 singles and a double. Geraghty came second but I collected anyway. Thats was Geraghtys only ride in Market Rasen today so they must have been cobfident.   

Along similar, but different!, lines Gordon Elliott has sent 2 horses to Wolverhampton today.
1725 Fairy Flute about 7/1
1855 Jock Talk about 9/1
I'm doing 10 on each plus 10ew double

Avondhu star

Quote from: Hound on February 07, 2018, 10:54:39 AM

it is always worth keeping an eye on the Irish journeymen jockeys like Richie McClernon, Paddy Brennan etc. They are up and down the motorways to Kelso Perth and out in to the West Country tracks often for one ride. I got Paddy Brennan on  20/1 today, Towering and Geraghty on Herewegoherewego at 11/2, 2 singles and a double. Geraghty came second but I collected anyway. Thats was Geraghtys only ride in Market Rasen today so they must have been cobfident.   

Along similar, but different!, lines Gordon Elliott has sent 2 horses to Wolverhampton today.
1855 Jock Talk about 9/1
I did Jock Talk too. So much for that!
Fairy Flute withdrawn?
Elliott often sends a few to Perth Kelso etc. Worth a look but not always a winner.
Tomorrow's another day

bennydorano

Noticed Elliot's 2 at Wolverhampton, my immediate thoughts when I see that is - - At least one of them will be a false favourite and it will be layed all day on Betfair by those who know and some nag will romp home that Elliot and the gang will have backed to the hilt. Being the arch Coup spotter that I think I am I backed Three Star General (Trainer - David Pipe) in the 5.25 because Elliot spent a lot of time in Martin Pipe's yard. No joy this time but my logic is flawless - assume they are al crooked from the get go. :) :)

Avondhu star

Quote from: bennydorano on February 07, 2018, 08:43:54 PM
Noticed Elliot's 2 at Wolverhampton, my immediate thoughts when I see that is - - At least one of them will be a false favourite and it will be layed all day on Betfair by those who know and some nag will romp home that Elliot and the gang will have backed to the hilt. Being the arch Coup spotter that I think I am I backed Three Star General (Trainer - David Pipe) in the 5.25 because Elliot spent a lot of time in Martin Pipe's yard. No joy this time but my logic is flawless - assume they are al crooked from the get go. :) :)
Saw the same last week. A strong favourite trained by Only Murphy across the water beaten by a 20 to 1 trained by Only Murphy.
A regular occurrence in Irish Racing of course with the dominance of two individuals

Esmarelda

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 07, 2018, 08:31:26 PM
Quote from: Hound on February 07, 2018, 10:54:39 AM

1855 Jock Talk about 9/1
I did Jock Talk too. So much for that!
Fairy Flute withdrawn?
Elliott often sends a few to Perth Kelso etc. Worth a look but not always a winner.
Tomorrow's another day
I fell for it too.