Top 20 Forwards of All Time?

Started by Owen Brannigan, April 05, 2017, 08:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: Schkite on April 06, 2017, 12:23:49 PM
I can't believe Murphy is on that list and the likes of Stevie's O'Neill or McDonnell are nowhere to be found.

It's only one person's opinion. Everybody would have different list, it's massively subjective.

Hardy

Quote from: shark on April 06, 2017, 04:35:40 PM
I can't believe Murphy is on that list and the likes of Stevie's O'Neill or McDonnell are nowhere to be found.

It's only one person's opinion. Everybody would have different list, it's massively subjective.

I agree. But that still doesn't account for the appearance of Dinny Allen. Twice.

Schkite

Oh of course it's subjective, I just think those players proved more and performed better as a forward over a longer period of time than Murphy.

thejuice

I'd probably have Ollie Murphy or Tommy Dowd ahead of Giles if we're talking scoring forwards. Trevor was more versatile than them but he wasn't putting up massive scores or kicking from tight angles or scoring improbable goals. Not to diminish his contributions to our success I believe we'd have won nothing without him.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Should be divided into scoring forwards and playmakers.
Every good team needs both.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

stiffler

Benny coulter most under rated forward of the 21st century.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

5 Sams

Quote from: stiffler on April 06, 2017, 10:34:17 PM
Benny coulter most under rated forward of the 21st century.

Not in Down....
The Aristocrat Years

J70

Quote from: Schkite on April 06, 2017, 05:30:30 PM

Oh of course it's subjective, I just think those players proved more and performed better as a forward over a longer period of time than Murphy.

Murphy was superb when played as an out and out forward when he was very young. Can win ball in the air and on the ground, has great control and can score off either foot. Had he played ten years earlier, who knows where he would rank.

But,, he's barely played as an out and out forward for the past six years, which means he suffers by comparison to men like O'Neill when talking about forwards, and that is fair enough. Unfortunately for him when his story is told, his sheer ability, intelligence and strength being used to fill other gaps in the Donegal team will go against him. He's been the absolute driving force for Donegal in the league this year, but that's as a midfielder.

rrhf

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 06, 2017, 11:28:38 AM
For those I have seen in the flesh or regularly on TV no particular order

Maurice Fitz
Colm Cooper
MF Russell
Johnny Crowley
Stevie O'Neill
Peter Canavan
Stevie McDonell
Michael Murphy
Johnny Doyle
Alan Brogan
Bernard Brogan
Dairmuid Connolly
Ciaran McDonald
Ja Fallon
Padraig Joyce
Michael Donnellan
Mattie Forde
Trevor Giles
Graham Geraghty
Ollie Murphy
Vinny Claffey
Dessie Dolan
Paddy Bradley

Marty Mc Hugh and Dinny Allen not on that list.

Probably plenty more that I can't think off. It's very hard to compare cross generational, different styles, some of today's forwards would be too soft whereas older forwards wouldn't be as technically proficient.

JimStynes

No Stevie McDonnell, Oisin, Linden, Cairan McDonald  :o :o

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Zulu on April 05, 2017, 11:25:20 PM
Some dodgy ones there alright but Michael Murphy can't have many complaints, granted he is playing in an era (and role) that doesn't allow him to flourish as a forward but I can't recall many great attaching performances from him in recent years, though I'm sure there may have been one or two.

Stephen O'Neill would be the biggest omission for me, easily better than most on the list. Connolly the most deserving of the current players and way ahead of the two Dubs on it for a start. Ciaran McDonald was certainly more talented than many on the list but Matt Connor is number one and it isn't even a discussion as far as I'm concerned. As great as the three ahead of him were Matt was a different level entirely.

Murphy was immense against Dublin in 2014, took the game by the scruff of the neck for Donegal and led the fight back.

Galway in 2015 when Donegal looked in serious bother and he came in with some moments of magic to turn the match

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 06, 2017, 10:49:50 AM
In Armagh who would they consider the better player McConville or McDonnell? I'd pick McDonnell

At least we get to see some of the better talents from the less traditional counties, there's far more TV coverage of someone like John Heslin compared to Declan Browne.

The best forwards I've seen are Maurice Fitz, the Gooch, Canavan & Joyce. Joyce suffers in these polls because Galway have been in the wilderness since 2001.

I'd have McDonnell as he was such a threat in the air and so physically strong that he could win any type of ball but McConville was every bit as prolific as McDonnell when he played closer to goal. Before Ronan Clarke arrived on the scene, McConville generally played closer to goal and he was as good as there was in the country, took 1-09 off Moynihan in 2000, hit 2-07 against Down in an Ulster final.

rrhf

Oisin was a highly productive forward, a finishing machine. May not have had the flair of others but probably delivered more on a consistent basis. Deserves to be mentioned. And was the main reason why Armagh were there or thereabouts for so long. Along with the current dubs and the Kerry dubs of the 70s the three teams of the 2000s were as good as any that played the game. The 2000s may well prove to be the last golden period of Gaelic football. Armagh were part of that.

vallankumous

Sean Quigley. Perhaps he'll be appreciated in retirement.

Dire Ear

Was Stevie O'Neill or O'Donnell better ??