Galicia Vs France International Gaelic Football Matches Live on Spanish TV

Started by AJ6000, March 14, 2017, 06:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ6000

The Galicia "National" Mens & Ladies Gaelic Football sides will host their French counterparts this Saturday, March 18th and both matches will be broadcast live on Galician language TV channel CRTVG (An equivalent of TG4) as well as being streamed live on their website: http://www.crtvg.es.

These will be the first of a number of Galician Gaelic Football matches shown by the channel after a TV deal was brokered between Gaelic Games Europe, the GAA, LGFA, Asociación Galega de Fútbol Gaélico & CRTVG.

You can find out more about the matches at the link below including the throw-in times and a video of the TV spot being shown on the channel right now:

https://gaelicgameseurope.com/france-galicia-international-matches-shown-live-national-tv/

sligoman2

What a fantastic achievement, well done to all involved.

Galicia and France both participated in the World GAA Games and events like this can do wonders for increasing the popularity of the sports.

I think I will tune in and watch it out of curiosity.  Again, well done to all involved.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

AJ6000

The Galician & French Mens sides were runners up in the last 2 World Games. Losing to Argentina & New York respectively. France knocked out Galicia in the last one with Galicia going on to win the plate.

The Galician & French Ladies played each other twice at the last World Games with the French Ladies winning the first match by a point and when they met in the Native Shield Final the Galician Ladies reversed the scoreline winning by a single point again.

I've played against the French National team myself and can attest to how good they are. I've never seen the Galicians in action but they only lost out in the World Games match by 2 points so the match should be a cracker. I'd highly encourage anyone who has the time to watch the live stream. I think you'll be blown away by the quality.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I've a spare gaffe in Straffan where the winners can house share if they want.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: AJ6000 on March 14, 2017, 08:17:18 PM
The Galician & French Mens sides were runners up in the last 2 World Games. Losing to Argentina & New York respectively. France knocked out Galicia in the last one with Galicia going on to win the plate.

The Galician & French Ladies played each other twice at the last World Games with the French Ladies winning the first match by a point and when they met in the Native Shield Final the Galician Ladies reversed the scoreline winning by a single point again.

I've played against the French National team myself and can attest to how good they are. I've never seen the Galicians in action but they only lost out in the World Games match by 2 points so the match should be a cracker. I'd highly encourage anyone who has the time to watch the live stream. I think you'll be blown away by the quality.

Not afraid of getting stuck in from the little I've seen of them.

Rossfan

Did these comply with the rules Re flying the (Irish) Tricolour and playing Amhràn na bhFiann? ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AJ6000

Quote from: Rossfan on March 14, 2017, 11:44:47 PM
Did these comply with the rules Re flying the (Irish) Tricolour and playing Amhràn na bhFiann? ?

Sometimes there's Tricolours around sometimes there aren't. The odd time the National Anthem is played before a tournament/game. Most of Europe plays a tournament format so it's not really feasible a lot of the time. I played as part of an "French Irish" selection against the French National team and we had both the French & Irish anthems played beforehand.

70%-80% of the 3000+ GAA players in Europe are not Irish so they have little to no interest in our flag & anthem. It's the games themselves they are interested in. Can you imagine a Spain vs France soccer match being forced to play God Save the Queen just because the English invented football? In Ireland it's one thing but abroad there's no real to have it as a "rule" as such. Would be better as a recommendation.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

munchkin

Quote from: Rossfan on March 14, 2017, 11:44:47 PM
the rule is that both are optional, so not sure how you break it.

heres the rules. page 6, at the bottom
http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/TheGAA/Administration/12/85/12/gaa4001(1)_Neutral.pdf

thejuice

Good to see.

While I understand the GAA is good for Irish abroad to keep in touch with their culture I'd be opposed to the idea of imposing it on a team made up of non-Irish in their own country. The GAA model could be adapted by them to promote their own traditions identity and culture if they so wish (though we could not fund them in that pursuit). It would be particularly useful for a place like Galicia where they have their own language and practices that are a bit different from the other regions of Spain.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AJ6000

To give you an idea of how impressive the French side are below you'll find a clip to an interview with Seamus "Banty" Mc Enaney during last year's GAA World Games. He singles out the French team and pays them a pretty high compliment. The whole interview is interesting but he mentions the French lads at 2:36.

https://youtu.be/bDnht9H9KRE?t=2m37s

AJ6000

Less than an hour until the Ladies game throws in.

The Ladies match is throwing in at 5pm local time (4pm GMT) with the Mens match starting at 6:30pm local time (5:30 GMT).

Here's the link to the Live Stream
http://www.crtvg.es/deportes/directo

Sligoman2015