Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on April 28, 2020, 04:45:55 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 28, 2020, 04:42:05 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 28, 2020, 04:30:40 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 28, 2020, 03:09:17 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 28, 2020, 03:01:23 PM
People look at politicians or scientists or advisors like they know more than you. Or successful people. They know the secret. They know more than me. Spoiler alert, they don't. Many are promoted far beyond their abilities and spend their days trying not be found out.
;D

Trump?

Now don't get me wrong, our local CMO Michael McBride is probably a very intelligent man and all that but some of the things he comes off with just beggar belief.

I can see where trailer is coming from but I wouldn't go that far  ;D

But is he not being 'guided' by uk rules and regulations?

He may well be but unlike Swann who's nice but dim, is meant to be an equal of these lads in London so should be having an input rather than blindly following.

That's what I mean - is it politicians who make the decision to work on a uk wide basis of the CMO?

If you were the CMO, would you not be saying, right, we're a small island.  In terms of stopping the spread of this virus in my opinion, we should be working on an all Ireland island basis instead of 2 separate systems.  That's what happened re: foot and mouth a good few years back.

Or is it politicians' decision/interference.  Who calls the shots in situations like this?

gallsman

The politician is the decision maker, clearly.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on April 28, 2020, 04:41:57 PM
Quote from: Boycey on April 28, 2020, 04:37:46 PM
There's no manual for this Trailer, countries are doing this on the fly. Some seem to have had better results than others maybe more by luck than anything else. One thing that's for sure is that even those countries that got it wrong are desperately trying to get it right and eventually will because they must or this ain't going away. 

Listen to the experts you never know you might learn something.

You see there is a manual. Countries have run simulations for years on how to be prepared for a pandemic. The fact that they aren't prepared is unforgivable. I bet you any money the UK government are prepared for a massive cyber attack on the financial institutions in London, or a huge terrorist attack, or indeed a declaration of war from a hostile nation. There is a f**king manual. These complete bundle of chancers have decided not to fund it or implement it!

I read somewhere (I'll try and dig it up later) that the UK had very good simulations for a possible pandemic, they obviously didn't follow it through or the current government didn't trust it once the real shit hit the fan.

Big difference trialling something that's not real
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: gallsman on April 28, 2020, 05:06:06 PM

What's the point in having a CMO then if he's going to be usurped?

imtommygunn

Was there not a panorama on this kind of thing last night? The tories got slated. This kind of thing showed they cared about people more than money (as if we needed to know).

The CMO would only have so much control. Ultimately government make decisions. I would say the CMO has to bite their tongue a lot.

trailer

"Guided by the science" which for me lays the blame at both the door of ministers but also these CMOs frauds.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: marty34 on April 28, 2020, 04:59:31 PM
That's what I mean - is it politicians who make the decision to work on a uk wide basis of the CMO?

If you were the CMO, would you not be saying, right, we're a small island.  In terms of stopping the spread of this virus in my opinion, we should be working on an all Ireland island basis instead of 2 separate systems.  That's what happened re: foot and mouth a good few years back.

Or is it politicians' decision/interference.  Who calls the shots in situations like this?

If the CMO came out on TV tomorrow and said "they are ignoring my advice and in my opinion putting people in greater danger" - how long do you think the politicians would last under that pressure?

If the experts are being ignored - they have absolute public attention on them right now so the right words would extremely quickly make any cabinet minister's position utterly untenable. Surely they realise that?
i usse an speelchekor

imtommygunn

It would also be career suicide you would have thought though? The Tories try to control every message coming out.

marty34

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 28, 2020, 06:13:24 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 28, 2020, 04:59:31 PM

If the CMO came out on TV tomorrow and said "they are ignoring my advice and in my opinion putting people in greater danger" - how long do you think the politicians would last under that pressure?

If the experts are being ignored - they have absolute public attention on them right now so the right words would extremely quickly make any cabinet minister's position utterly untenable. Surely they realise that?

Is there anybody on here not saying this should be dealt with on an all island basis?

Is this not just common sense?

gallsman

Quote from: marty34 on April 28, 2020, 05:14:48 PM

Because politicians don't tend to be experts on medical matters. Why is this so hard to grasp?!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: trailer on April 28, 2020, 03:01:23 PM
People look at politicians or scientists or advisors like they know more than you. Or successful people. They know the secret. They know more than me. Spoiler alert, they don't. Many are promoted far beyond their abilities and spend their days trying not be found out.

armaghniac

79 deaths reported on the island today. We are not making the progress on this that we should after 6 weeks.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

Quote from: gallsman on April 28, 2020, 06:27:47 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 28, 2020, 05:14:48 PM

Because politicians don't tend to be experts on medical matters. Why is this so hard to grasp?!

You're the one not getting it.

I'm asking who's making the decisions re: closing schools and travel etc. etc.

Cunny Funt

229 new cases today the Lowest daily growth in the ROI in apparently 4 weeks.