Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone08

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 09, 2020, 03:26:25 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on May 09, 2020, 02:21:34 PM
Anybody see Varadkars rant yesterday? Embarrassing, badly let himself down, completely lost his cool.

He was also wrong. Minimum wage and the furlough payment are not devolved and have nothing to do with SF. Its not SFs fault the minimum wage is crap in the North.

Agreed. I had to laugh at the irony of the p***k insulting trump and SF when he was in America on paddy's day announcing a lockdown for Ireland. He showed his true colours and they are not pretty.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Anybody see Varadkars rant yesterday? Embarrassing, badly let himself down, completely lost his cool.

He lost an opportunity. Because he really coyid have went to town on sf rubber stamping welfare reform, stopping nurses get fair wage rise, killing procurement and spend for 3 years. And see those food parcels, joke, they flooded ardgrange turasmore etc. Why coz that's where their vote dropped? Nobody came near our wee council estate anyhow, not enough votes.

RedHand88

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 09, 2020, 07:51:36 PM

He lost an opportunity. Because he really coyid have went to town on sf rubber stamping welfare reform, stopping nurses get fair wage rise, killing procurement and spend for 3 years. And see those food parcels, joke, they flooded ardgrange turasmore etc. Why coz that's where their vote dropped? Nobody came near our wee council estate anyhow, not enough votes.

Leo showed an inherent misunderstanding of how the North (TM) works. Nobody is ever "in power" up here, due to the nature of devolution. Powers are very limited, with Westminster still holding the reins. Stormont is a glorified local council, who's main powers revolve around funding as opposed to law making. Add this to the fact that there are FIVE parties in the executive, and that widespread agreement is needed to pass anything in the chamber, and SF really have no power. I'd argue they have more power in Dublin.

I agree on the food parcel stunts. Who ever thought the optics of that would look good? See they were giving out iPads on the Falls, a vote heartland. iPads!!

trailer

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 10, 2020, 10:00:38 AM

Leo showed an inherent misunderstanding of how the North (TM) works. Nobody is ever "in power" up here, due to the nature of devolution. Powers are very limited, with Westminster still holding the reins. Stormont is a glorified local council, who's main powers revolve around funding as opposed to law making. Add this to the fact that there are FIVE parties in the executive, and that widespread agreement is needed to pass anything in the chamber, and SF really have no power. I'd argue they have more power in Dublin.

I agree on the food parcel stunts. Who ever thought the optics of that would look good? See they were giving out iPads on the Falls, a vote heartland. iPads!!

SF can't blame everything on Westminster and Tory cuts. Like if they can't improve people's lives in NI then get out of the way and let's others have a go.

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: tyrone08 on May 09, 2020, 03:41:56 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 09, 2020, 03:26:25 PM

He was also wrong. Minimum wage and the furlough payment are not devolved and have nothing to do with SF. Its not SFs fault the minimum wage is crap in the North.

Agreed. I had to laugh at the irony of the p***k insulting trump and SF when he was in America on paddy's day announcing a lockdown for Ireland. He showed his true colours and they are not pretty.

Its called schmoozing. Not a skill required in the land of SF utopia.

RedHand88

Quote from: trailer on May 10, 2020, 11:21:37 AM

SF can't blame everything on Westminster and Tory cuts. Like if they can't improve people's lives in NI then get out of the way and let's others have a go.

Others did have a go. It didn't work then ether. The north is not viable. Sooner people realise this the better.

trailer

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 10, 2020, 12:04:08 PM

Others did have a go. It didn't work then ether. The north is not viable. Sooner people realise this the better.

SF have been the largest Nationalist party in the North for going on 10 years. Sticking it to the DUP does not create jobs or put food on people's tables.

marty34

Quote from: trailer on May 10, 2020, 12:10:36 PM

SF have been the largest Nationalist party in the North for going on 10 years. Sticking it to the DUP does not create jobs or put food on people's tables.

Conversely the SDLP were the biggest nationalist party for years and didn't improve things.  Too busy now cuddling up on the green benches over in London with their baron and baroness titles. 

The 6 counties is a failed political entity. Fullstop.  The SDLP and others should be pushing to develop a new Ireland instead of bowing to queen or being in a half in/half out relationship with the right wingers and partitionists of fg and ff.

thewobbler

Quote from: marty34 on May 10, 2020, 12:43:20 PM

Conversely the SDLP were the biggest nationalist party for years and didn't improve things. Too busy now cuddling up on the green benches over in London with their baron and baroness titles. 

The 6 counties is a failed political entity. Fullstop.  The SDLP and others should be pushing to develop a new Ireland instead of bowing to queen or being in a half in/half out relationship with the right wingers and partitionists of fg and ff.

Are you too young to remember the civil rights movement that culminated in the Assembly, or does it just not suit your narrative to remember that's what the SDLP was formed to do, and ultimately delivered?

I do f**king wonder what goes through peoples' heads.

thewobbler

It's not condescending HS.

It's disgust.

"What did the SDLP ever do for us?".

f**k me.

trailer

Quote from: marty34 on May 10, 2020, 12:43:20 PM

Conversely the SDLP were the biggest nationalist party for years and didn't improve things.  Too busy now cuddling up on the green benches over in London with their baron and baroness titles. 

There's some shite spouted on this board but this takes the f**king biscuit

thewobbler

Quote from: hardstation on May 10, 2020, 02:42:44 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 10, 2020, 02:36:20 PM

It's disgust.

f**k me.
I don't particularly disagree with your overall point but asking if someone is too young to remember something is condescending even if it is done in disgust. Asking it when you yourself are also too young to remember is fairly odd.

Ah I see where you're at here now , and I think we're confused.

No I wasn't around for Bloody Sunday and the formation of the Civil Rights Movement, or the formation of the SDLP.

But I was here for 20 years or so where the SDLP used their voice, support and mandate to deliver equal rights for Catholics in NI.

That the Troubles have been kept at bay for 20+ years owes more to equality than anything else. In an ideal world there would be a united Ireland. But co-habiting a space on roughly equal terms isn't a bad way to live.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: thewobbler on May 10, 2020, 02:59:28 PM

It's disgust.

f**k me.
I don't particularly disagree with your overall point but asking if someone is too young to remember something is condescending even if it is done in disgust. Asking it when you yourself are also too young to remember is fairly odd.

No I wasn't around for Bloody Sunday and the formation of the Civil Rights Movement, or the formation of the SDLP.

But I was here for 20 years or so where the SDLP used their voice, support and mandate to deliver equal rights for Catholics in NI.

That the Troubles have been kept at bay for 20+ years owes more to equality than anything else. In an ideal world there would be a united Ireland. But co-habiting a space on roughly equal terms isn't a bad way to live.

this 'i'm alright jack' attitude is precisely what's wrong with ireland in general, the sick counties are a backward wasteland, we all have to aim for better  ;)

screenexile

Of course we have to aim for better but we're a hell of a lot better off than we were in the sixties and saying the SDLP has nothing to do with it is disingenuous at best if not complete ignorance!!

thewobbler

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on May 10, 2020, 03:37:38 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 10, 2020, 02:59:28 PM

It's disgust.

f**k me.

this 'i'm alright jack' attitude is precisely what's wrong with ireland in general, the sick counties are a backward wasteland, we all have to aim for better  ;)

If "something better" is the 2020 Dublin, where the middle class stockpile houses for AirBNB, which in turn forces the working class to pay almost their entire income on rent, or spend half their day travelling to and from work, then it's time for another Civil Rights movement on the island, but not up North, strangely enough.