All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: westbound on September 28, 2017, 10:14:42 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 28, 2017, 08:10:08 PM
You have to congratulate Dublin on the way they just went into complete anarchy for the final Clarke kick out. There was no way Joe McQuillan was going to be able to deal with so many incidences and he was never going to Black more than one Dublin player with them playing on their home ground. The yellow card was a token jesture and as effective as a ashtray on a motorbike. In fairness, bar giving a free for two Dublin players running into to each other (I can now laugh at this given the healing powers of time) and bottling giving Lee Keegan a definite penalty. He did as well as a Referee with his limitations could do. He even give Mayo 2 minutes to run around the Dublin players playing piggy in the middle which helped a bit more in covering his ass as before the final whistle.

The shock and disgust on here about players involved in win at all costs amuses me. What games have you watched all your lives?

He didn't give a free for two dublin players running into each other. He gave it for the foul committed directly after the dublin fella got back up.

It was probably a soft free for sure, but I'm sick of hearing people say it was for two dubs running into each other....IT WASNT.

Ah, it was! But don't be sad! The Dublin player got disorientated and Joe helped him out.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Hey lads, let her go, both.

Majestic effort from Mayo, truly. Equally from the Dubs, with just that little bit extra. There will always be these minutiae to pore over, the raw difference between the gold and silver, but to what end, really?

Keep 'er lit, and some time, one time, those feckers will be called out for their last second shenanigans, but don't be betting on it! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Rossfan

Wouldn't it be great if 2 clean innocent teams made the AI Final next year?
Last time that happened was 1998.
Probably 2038 before it happens again..... :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on September 28, 2017, 11:53:36 PM

There wasn't much innocence about sledgers with limited footballing ability like Ray Silke.

Orchard park

I played several times on Ray Silks in college and challenge games would call him cocky and opinionated and one of the more moderate all Ireland winners but never once could I accuse him of sledging.............

That was a fair shite half back line only redeemed by the underrated Sean og

Rossfan

And sure who could forget the mighty Divilly......

Orchard park

Divilly served  a purpose would be the kindest I could be,  main contender for the no 6 shirt on weakest ever all Ireland winners

Sean og and Tom Mannion took them pair out of some tight spots

galwayman

Quote from: Syferus on September 28, 2017, 11:54:44 PM

There wasn't much innocence about sledgers with limited footballing ability like Ray Silke.
You see this is one of the reasons why you have a bad name - spouting absolute nonsense as if it were fact.
Can you explain why you refer to him as a sledger?
I would wager if you ask anybody who played on him if he was a sledger the answer would be a resounding no.
He was an average footballer but most certainly not a sledger.

Orchard park

Quote from: galwayman on September 29, 2017, 08:12:58 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 28, 2017, 11:54:44 PM

You see this is one of the reasons why you have a bad name - spouting absolute nonsense as if it were fact.
Can you explain why you refer to him as a sledger?
I would wager if you ask anybody who played on him if he was a sledger the answer would be a resounding no.
He was an average footballer but most certainly not a sledger.

as above I played on him many times, he was cocky and arrogant beyond his ability but never a sledger

Rossfan

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Orchard park on September 29, 2017, 12:03:09 AM
I played several times on Ray Silks in college and challenge games would call him cocky and opinionated and one of the more moderate all Ireland winners but never once could I accuse him of sledging.............

That was a fair shite half back line only redeemed by the underrated Sean og

By 2001 it was a great half back line of Declan Meehan, Mannion, & Sean Og

AZOffaly

I don't really believe there was any sledging. Maybe I wasn't good enough to be on the receiving end but I never experienced it at any level. Apart from the odd 'You'll never kick that' or 'Watch the post' when lining up a free.

Orchard park

one that was created by accident with Tom Mannion getting another hole opened at corner back in Tuam Vs Roscommon, was brought out to centre half in the qualifiers and rest is history.

one of the most underrated footballers outside of Galway

Lar Naparka

Quote from: westbound on September 28, 2017, 10:31:16 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 28, 2017, 10:17:07 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 28, 2017, 07:08:00 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 27, 2017, 05:42:10 PM
I've no doubt that if it was Cillian O'Connor who was taking that free, Jonny or Philly would do what Leeroy did, if they got the chance and I could see all the Mayo forwards manhandling the Dublin backs also.
Utter nonsense.
O'Connor had a very late free to go ahead and Philly and Jonny did no such thing.
Rock's free wasn't the last kick. Still time for equalizer.
Defending what Keegan did is beyond me. It was pure stupid. The most likely outcome was the free being moved in to an unmissable position if the kick had been missed (regardless of whether the GPS caused the miss).
As for a ban, I think he should be punished to show what he did was unacceptable. But a 1 match ban would be sufficient.

Quoting players talking shite about the late black card etc is totally irrelvant. The fact of the matter was, the ref punished Dublin and allowed a retake and added time on. Clarke had an opportunity to take a kick out when Mayo had an extra man. All he needed was a smidgen of composure.
Something tells me you didn't quite get what I was saying! You got it arseways, my good man. If Cillian had taken the free and it had gone over, I'm sure the Mayo attack would have done the same thing  as the Dub forwards.
It's bullshit to single out Keegan for what was an impulsive gesture when the collecive action of the Dubs in slowing down Clarke's kickout was far more cynical.  And I am not too upset about this as it was a cynical, filthy game from beginning to end, with neither side smelling of roses. Asking Clarke to have composure with all that was happening around him and half his backs on their arses is a bit much.
There now, you got that?  ;D

How impulsive is it to consider what can I do to put the freetaker off, to open the gps pack, to hold the unit in my hand until the kicker is almost ready to strike and then throw it at the ball/him?
Enough time to consider ones actions I would have thought? Not saying I wouldn't have done the same/similar in the same situation but lets call it for what it was.
You cannot be serious, right? ;D ;D
Did Leeroy intendto do this before the start of the game or even at any time until the free was awarded and Rock stepped up to take it? How the hell could he; he may be the best player around but he can't foretell the future.
I dunno how long it takes to slip a gps out of its pouch but my guess that it only takes seconds. Watching yet another All Ireland slipping away on him , would put any man under pressure.
Now, I've no problem with what h did being illegal but spare me the crap that he flung his unit at Rock/ and that this act was the lowest any one , including Charlie Redmond of all people, had seen.
What happened next was far, far worse and I don't thnk I saw the likes in a long, long time.
Nothing about the concerted decision by the Dub forwards to attack and hassle the Mayo forwards after fecking Clarke's tees way.
All I'masking that there should be a bit of balance here. And don't put the blame on Clarke'spoor kickout either./ Given what was happening out in front of him, he was some man to manage to kick the ball at all.
Don't forget that the normally ice cool Clucko made a donkey's collar oof of his kickouts in the first half when Mayo were winning most of them and he was under far less pressure that Clarke was at that time.
Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander and all that..

(And if you really want to know, I never saw any thing as low as what the Dubs' did to deny Mayo possession of the kick-out for a lot more than 25 years. I'd go back to the second test in South Africa in 1974. The Dubs Springboks were filthy hoors all through the tour and the Lions captain, Willie John McBride, got pissed off.
So going into the second test, he told his colleagues that whenever he shouted out "99," they were to turn on the nearest Springbok and flatten him, kick bite, loaf him, any thing that came to mind. Willie John knew the ref couldn't put them all off and is plan worked.'
Now if the Mayo forwards had met fire with fire and gave as good as they got, the result could have been very different. At the very least it couldn't be any worse. ;D)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Orchard park on September 29, 2017, 10:09:22 AM
one that was created by accident with Tom Mannion getting another hole opened at corner back in Tuam Vs Roscommon, was brought out to centre half in the qualifiers and rest is history.

one of the most underrated footballers outside of Galway
Very true Orchard.  He was excellent though at corner back on Martin Lynch in the '98 final - totally dominated him.  Himself and Ja were huge losses by the time we got to Sept football in 2000.