All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatest

Still giving out about the ref I see. Makes pleasant reading.

magpie seanie

Whilwe we're talking about black cards the ref missed - AOS should have got one right at the start of the second half for a trip after he lost the throw in.

Orchard park

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 28, 2017, 08:54:30 AM
Whilwe we're talking about black cards the ref missed - AOS should have got one right at the start of the second half for a trip after he lost the throw in.

the most obvious one of all probably

thebuzz

Quote from: Orchard park on September 28, 2017, 12:50:08 PM

And you'll never know what would have happened. Whoever replaced him could have changed the whole game ......

tonto1888

Quote from: thebuzz on September 28, 2017, 02:03:02 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on September 28, 2017, 12:50:08 PM

And you'll never know what would have happened. Whoever replaced him could have changed the whole game ......

given the impact the Mayo subs had, is that likely

dublin7

It's a pity Mayo fans can't accept they were beaten by the better team. Far easier to blame the ref rather than blame David Clarke not being able to keep his head and find the extra man with his kick out.
Always with the excuses never the answers

bucko

Quote from: dublin7 on September 28, 2017, 05:07:14 PM
It's a pity Mayo fans can't accept they were beaten by the better team. Far easier to blame the ref rather than blame David Clarke not being able to keep his head and find the extra man with his kick out.
Ah yes. The better team. So much better that they felt they had to cynically hold, pull down and drag their opposite numbers to prevent possession from a quick kick out. But I don't see that as the reason that we lost, nor do I blame Joe either, tho he was poor enough on the day but really didn't give either side an advantage. There were enough things directly within our own control that we didn't do well enough. Wides, kicks dropped short short, saved goal chance, Vaughan's rush of blood and yes, Clarke's last kick out. All of which if they'd been done better, or with a bit more composure we'd have won, by 2-3 points. But there's the difference. Dublin were more composed, we weren't. But the actions of the Dublin forwards at the end cancels out the positivity of that coolness and ability and shows they can just as cynical if not more so as any team out there. BTW I don't condone what Keegan did either.

Rudi

Not that it matters now, as a neutral thought Mayo were the better team on the day. Small margins win big games Rock scored the free, O Connor hit the post with his. Mayo were also guilty of missing some easy chances when they had their feet on Dublins throat.
It's a pity no evidence can connect Keggan with the GPS incident, he should have got a one year ban if proven guilty. The umpires and sideline officials should also have alerted the referee to the Dublin forwards man handling of the Mayo backs for the last kick-out, a number of black cards here and a few additional mins playing time, could act as a deterrent for teams who would engage in this manner in the future. Dublin are far from the only ones at this carry on, I seen my own Roscommon team verses Kerry in the league year before last at this carry on. It's a cancer in the game and it's up to the GAA to clean up.

bucko

If it could be proven, a year would be extremely harsh. What Keegan (allegedly) did was cynical, but no more so than other cynical play that was going on after Rock's point. The sanction should be no more or no less. It's not up there with actions that could potentially injure a player where such a long ban would be seen as appropriate.  I do agree with you though that there is not enough deterrent under the rules as they stand to prevent this sort of behaviour being the norm. Nor is there the appetite within the higher ups to adopt a zero tolerance attitude to cynical play and give the backing and powers to officials to enforce it.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rudi on September 28, 2017, 06:22:49 PM

Not that it matters now, as a neutral thought Mayo were the better team on the day. Small margins win big games Rock scored the free, O Connor hit the post with his. Mayo were also guilty of missing some easy chances when they had their feet on Dublins throat.
It's a pity no evidence can connect Keggan with the GPS incident, he should have got a one year ban if proven guilty. The umpires and sideline officials should also have alerted the referee to the Dublin forwards man handling of the Mayo backs for the last kick-out, a number of black cards here and a few additional mins playing time, could act as a deterrent for teams who would engage in this manner in the future. Dublin are far from the only ones at this carry on, I seen my own Roscommon team verses Kerry in the league year before last at this carry on. It's a cancer in the game and it's up to the GAA to clean up.

I thought it was a game of two halves where Mayo was the best in the 1st half and Dublin the better team in the 2nd half. Of course Dublin were helped along in the 2nd half by that foolish sending off of Vaughan. Rock fluffed his lines on some of his frees in the 1st half it should be remembered. For as long as i can remember a win at all cost is very much part of the game whether we like it or not and the nice teams are normally left behind. While what Keegan did was wrong i think a year ban is a bit over the top.

Dublin are still a few years from reaching their peak they will win a number of more All Irelands. Worrying for Mayo with this latest final lost is the age profile and mileage on the clock of their key players. Could they have played much better than they did in that final and do they have more room for improvement in 2018?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Hound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 27, 2017, 05:42:10 PM
I've no doubt that if it was Cillian O'Connor who was taking that free, Jonny or Philly would do what Leeroy did, if they got the chance and I could see all the Mayo forwards manhandling the Dublin backs also.
Utter nonsense.
O'Connor had a very late free to go ahead and Philly and Jonny did no such thing.
Rock's free wasn't the last kick. Still time for equalizer.
Defending what Keegan did is beyond me. It was pure stupid. The most likely outcome was the free being moved in to an unmissable position if the kick had been missed (regardless of whether the GPS caused the miss).
As for a ban, I think he should be punished to show what he did was unacceptable. But a 1 match ban would be sufficient.

Quoting players talking shite about the late black card etc is totally irrelvant. The fact of the matter was, the ref punished Dublin and allowed a retake and added time on. Clarke had an opportunity to take a kick out when Mayo had an extra man. All he needed was a smidgen of composure. 

From the Bunker

You have to congratulate Dublin on the way they just went into complete anarchy for the final Clarke kick out. There was no way Joe McQuillan was going to be able to deal with so many incidences and he was never going to Black more than one Dublin player with them playing on their home ground. The yellow card was a token jesture and as effective as a ashtray on a motorbike. In fairness, bar giving a free for two Dublin players running into to each other (I can now laugh at this given the healing powers of time) and bottling giving Lee Keegan a definite penalty. He did as well as a Referee with his limitations could do. He even give Mayo 2 minutes to run around the Dublin players playing piggy in the middle which helped a bit more in covering his ass as before the final whistle.

The shock and disgust on here about players involved in win at all costs amuses me. What games have you watched all your lives?

westbound

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 28, 2017, 08:10:08 PM
You have to congratulate Dublin on the way they just went into complete anarchy for the final Clarke kick out. There was no way Joe McQuillan was going to be able to deal with so many incidences and he was never going to Black more than one Dublin player with them playing on their home ground. The yellow card was a token jesture and as effective as a ashtray on a motorbike. In fairness, bar giving a free for two Dublin players running into to each other (I can now laugh at this given the healing powers of time) and bottling giving Lee Keegan a definite penalty. He did as well as a Referee with his limitations could do. He even give Mayo 2 minutes to run around the Dublin players playing piggy in the middle which helped a bit more in covering his ass as before the final whistle.

The shock and disgust on here about players involved in win at all costs amuses me. What games have you watched all your lives?

He didn't give a free for two dublin players running into each other. He gave it for the foul committed directly after the dublin fella got back up.

It was probably a soft free for sure, but I'm sick of hearing people say it was for two dubs running into each other....IT WASNT.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hound on September 28, 2017, 07:08:00 PM
I've no doubt that if it was Cillian O'Connor who was taking that free, Jonny or Philly would do what Leeroy did, if they got the chance and I could see all the Mayo forwards manhandling the Dublin backs also.
Utter nonsense.
O'Connor had a very late free to go ahead and Philly and Jonny did no such thing.
Defending what Keegan did is beyond me. It was pure stupid. The most likely outcome was the free being moved in to an unmissable position if the kick had been missed (regardless of whether the GPS caused the miss).
As for a ban, I think he should be punished to show what he did was unacceptable. But a 1 match ban would be sufficient.

Quoting players talking shite about the late black card etc is totally irrelvant. The fact of the matter was, the ref punished Dublin and allowed a retake and added time on. Clarke had an opportunity to take a kick out when Mayo had an extra man. All he needed was a smidgen of composure.
Something tells me you didn't quite get what I was saying! You got it arseways, my good man. If Cillian had taken the free and it had gone over, I'm sure the Mayo attack would have done the same thing  as the Dub forwards.
It's bullshit to single out Keegan for what was an impulsive gesture when the collecive action of the Dubs in slowing down Clarke's kickout was far more cynical.  And I am not too upset about this as it was a cynical, filthy game from beginning to end, with neither side smelling of roses. Asking Clarke to have composure with all that was happening around him and half his backs on their arses is a bit much.
There now, you got that?  ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

westbound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 28, 2017, 10:17:07 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 28, 2017, 07:08:00 PM
Utter nonsense.

Something tells me you didn't quite get what I was saying! You got it arseways, my good man. If Cillian had taken the free and it had gone over, I'm sure the Mayo attack would have done the same thing  as the Dub forwards.
It's bullshit to single out Keegan for what was an impulsive gesture when the collecive action of the Dubs in slowing down Clarke's kickout was far more cynical.  And I am not too upset about this as it was a cynical, filthy game from beginning to end, with neither side smelling of roses. Asking Clarke to have composure with all that was happening around him and half his backs on their arses is a bit much.
There now, you got that?  ;D

How impulsive is it to consider what can I do to put the freetaker off, to open the gps pack, to hold the unit in my hand until the kicker is almost ready to strike and then throw it at the ball/him?
Enough time to consider ones actions I would have thought? Not saying I wouldn't have done the same/similar in the same situation but lets call it for what it was.