The most bonkers moments in GAA

Started by BennyCake, April 27, 2020, 01:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: caprea on July 30, 2020, 10:56:28 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 30, 2020, 10:54:22 PM
Quote from: caprea on July 30, 2020, 10:42:04 PM
Any time a game goes to extra time with players sent off in normal time but teams are allowed to restore themselves to the 15 in extra time because it's a "new game". I'd love to have been in the room when the rules makers thought that was a good idea.

Didn't Liam Hayes come back on for Meath in ET after being sent off in normal time? Or did I dream that?

I don't know to be honest but I didn't think that was legal but maybe the rule was tweaked. That's truly hilarious if it did happen.

Like on the other side if it's truly a new game then players should be allowed to re enter the game if they were sent off for two yellows. The fact that they aren't means the law is an ass.

Maybe it was tweaked. Nearly sure it was late 80's or early 90's. Might have been Gerry McEntee, but it was definitely a Meath game in the championship

Jell 0 Biafra

I was at the first replay of Dublin Meath in 91.  Mick Lyons was sent off.  I can't remember if he was allowed back on in ET, but Meath were definitely allowed bring on a 15th man.  Something similar happened with Dublin Wexford back in the noughties, if I remember correctly, but Dublin benefited this time.

Stupid rule.

Gael85

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 02, 2020, 03:53:36 AM
I was at the first replay of Dublin Meath in 91.  Mick Lyons was sent off.  I can't remember if he was allowed back on in ET, but Meath were definitely allowed bring on a 15th man.  Something similar happened with Dublin Wexford back in the noughties, if I remember correctly, but Dublin benefited this time.

Stupid rule.

That was Dublin/Wexford 2010. We were actually down to 13 men that day. Denis Bastick and Ger Brennan  were sent off that day. Restored to 15 for extra time.  Agree crazy rule.

IronMike247

Quote from: Gael85 on September 02, 2020, 07:35:30 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 02, 2020, 03:53:36 AM

Stupid rule.

That was Dublin/Wexford 2010. We were actually down to 13 men that day. Denis Bastick and Ger Brennan  were sent off that day. Restored to 15 for extra time.  Agree crazy rule.

Does that rule still exist? Some genius who came up with that one.
If it's a new game then surely the player should have to serve the suspension during that game. And any player who didn't play the original game due to suspension would be allowed to play the extra time then?
For that matter, if it's a new game then you could surely put out whatever 15 players you wanted.

Rossfan

Can't you put out any 15 of the original list of 24 (or  is it 26 now?given to the Ref at the start of the normal game, except the lad who got the red card.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Quote from: caprea on July 30, 2020, 10:42:04 PM
Any time a game goes to extra time with players sent off in normal time but teams are allowed to restore themselves to the 15 in extra time because it's a "new game". I'd love to have been in the room when the rules makers thought that was a good idea.

I remember Donegal playing Fermanagh in the qualifiers in 2004 after Armagh beat us out the gate in the Ulster final. Brendan Devenney got the line. It was the time he was so enraged by Ryan McCloskey's antics in marking him that he lashed out, and after getting the red, started shoving Joe McQuillan around the waist. Got six months for it IIRC!

Anyway, the game went to extra time and we were allowed to line out again with 15 men. First time I remembered seeing it.

Needless to say, in keeping with Donegal's profligacy, awful indiscipline and complete lack of composure that day, Stephen McDermott got the line two minutes into extra time and we were back to square one! Ended up missing 14 yard frees and the like on the way to a one point loss.

Charlie Mulgrew and Fermanagh went on to beat Armagh and put Mayo to the pin of their collar in the AI semi.

armaghniac

Donegal's indiscipline that day had an effect on the subsequent events as Armagh would not have met Donegal a second time and might have been in a better frame of mind for a game against their opposition.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B