The most bonkers moments in GAA

Started by BennyCake, April 27, 2020, 01:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: didlyi on April 29, 2020, 07:27:09 PM
Quote from: Feckitt on April 29, 2020, 04:08:28 PM
I always wondered, Why did Babs Keating play in his bare feet?

Alot of players did it back then.

My Moment is Corks Christy Ring being carried shoulder high off the pitch by wexford players after the 58 final.
Ring was on the loosing side. So mad it never happened since

Didn't the Mayo players carry Dermot Earley off after the 1985 Connacht final
Hasta la victoria siempre

weareros

Quote from: Rossfan on April 29, 2020, 09:56:41 AM
Quote from: giveballaghback on April 28, 2020, 09:36:29 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 27, 2020, 11:27:51 PM
From memory- Ros got the Cup, then the ref found some Connacht Council officials to tell them he didn't allow the goal as the lad who placed the ball didnt take the kick and therefore Galway were the winners.
Eventually it was replayed and we won.
I remember the incident well. It was as you said except it was galway that put the pressure on and got the ref to change his decision after the match and Galway were presented with the cup.Ros were also in the senior final that day and it ended in a draw.I did not hear till after the senior  game that the minor result had been overturned, Every phone box in Ros was on the go that night but the Connacht council were standing firm it was Galways title,
A movement to boycot the senior replay and refuse to play it was gathering speed by the following morning and a meeting of ros supporters was being called for hyde park on the Wednesday evening. To avoid the rossie storm a replay was agreed by lunchtime on Monday and it was replayed on the following Wednesday evening back in Castlebar brfore the biggest crowd I have ever seen at a Connacht minor championship match.Roscommon won easliy by 4 or 5 points,
I'll disagree with your bit about Galway getting the Cup as I recall bumping into a few if the Ros minors at ht in the Senior game and one of them (Colm Kelly from Oran I think) had the Cup with him.

Yeah, Ros lads ran around the field with cup, and it was awarded to Galway later. The senior replay also produced a bonkers moment - the bizarre Jimmy Burke goal.

GetOverTheBar

Keegan throwing the GPS deserves a mention here, potentially could have been genius if it worked. Would have ended up in anarchy.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on April 29, 2020, 05:12:23 PM
Down in the 92 hurling semi I think. Loads of players went off injured.

Don't think so.

IIRC there was only one sub brought on for Down that day much to the ire of some of the other subs.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on April 30, 2020, 09:30:00 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 29, 2020, 05:12:23 PM
Down in the 92 hurling semi I think. Loads of players went off injured.

Don't think so.

IIRC there was only one sub brought on for Down that day much to the ire of some of the other subs.
I think it was from the other team
It was Down and it was after 89 but not sure about the year,
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 29, 2020, 08:13:05 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 27, 2020, 01:51:07 PM
Mayo winning the 1925 Connacht final but Galway represent Connacht and win the All Ireland

Galway won Connacht final! The Connacht final was not held in time to produce a team that could compete against the other three provinces in the semi-finals. Mayo was therefore nominated to represent the province. Mayo beat Wexford in the semi final. Kerry beat Cavan in the other semi-final. However, both Kerry and Cavan were disqualified for fielding illegal players. This meant that Mayo were declared champions without the need for a final. However, in the meantime, Galway had defeated Mayo in the Connacht final and this put the GAA in a bind. They withdrew their nomination of Mayo to represent Connacht, and chose Galway as rightful Connacht champions. Thus, Galway became All-Ireland champions.

I'm afraid this tops that. Galway's proficiency at the committee table to the fore again!

1922. Sligo beat Roscommon, Mayo and Galway to win the Connacht title. Then defeat Tipperary in the All Ireland semi final. Connacht Council order a replay of the Connacht final due to some technicality. Galay win and advance to the All Ireland final.

1926. Sligo beat Laois in the NFL semi final. Replay ordered due to a players name being spelled incorrectly. Laois win replay.

So Sligo have won an All Ireland SFC semi final and NFL semi final and never played in either final. And it happened within a 4 year period.

giveballaghback

Quote from: weareros on April 30, 2020, 02:35:24 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 29, 2020, 09:56:41 AM
Quote from: giveballaghback on April 28, 2020, 09:36:29 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 27, 2020, 11:27:51 PM
From memory- Ros got the Cup, then the ref found some Connacht Council officials to tell them he didn't allow the goal as the lad who placed the ball didnt take the kick and therefore Galway were the winners.

Eventually it was replayed and we won.
I remember the incident well. It was as you said except it was galway that put the pressure on and got the ref to change his decision after the match and Galway were presented with the cup.Ros were also in the senior final that day and it ended in a draw.I did not hear till after the senior  game that the minor result had been overturned, Every phone box in Ros was on the go that night but the Connacht council were standing firm it was Galways title,
A movement to boycot the senior replay and refuse to play it was gathering speed by the following morning and a meeting of ros supporters was being called for hyde park on the Wednesday evening. To avoid the rossie storm a replay was agreed by lunchtime on Monday and it was replayed on the following Wednesday evening back in Castlebar brfore the biggest crowd I have ever seen at a Connacht minor championship match.Roscommon won easliy by 4 or 5 points,
I'll disagree with your bit about Galway getting the Cup as I recall bumping into a few if the Ros minors at ht in the Senior game and one of them (Colm Kelly from Oran I think) had the Cup with him.

Yeah, Ros lads ran around the field with cup, and it was awarded to Galway later. The senior replay also produced a bonkers moment - the bizarre Jimmy Burke goal.

You could well be right about the cup, the feckin Jimmy Burke goal, when my Mayo cousins want to get me reved up they mention the Jimmy Burke Goal, I always maintained he fell over the ball and knocked it over the line with his p....

omaghjoe

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 30, 2020, 09:27:41 AM
Keegan throwing the GPS deserves a mention here, potentially could have been genius if it worked. Would have ended up in anarchy.

The reaction wudda been at least... if Ricey had done it

rosnarun

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on April 30, 2020, 01:34:57 AM
Quote from: didlyi on April 29, 2020, 07:27:09 PM
Quote from: Feckitt on April 29, 2020, 04:08:28 PM
I always wondered, Why did Babs Keating play in his bare feet?

Alot of players did it back then.

My Moment is Corks Christy Ring being carried shoulder high off the pitch by wexford players after the 58 final.
Ring was on the loosing side. So mad it never happened since

Didn't the Mayo players carry Dermot Earley off after the 1985 Connacht final
they were merely carrying back home to mayo as hid missionary work was complete
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mrdeeds

Seanie Johnson, Kildare, hurling etc. Then he went out of his way to take a free on his wrong foot against Cavan in a qualifier game. Then left Kildare and back to Cavan. Then tweeted once it was always his dream to win an Ulster.

BennyCake

Armagh's comeback v Fermanagh in 1993.

Don't know how I forgot about that one!

BennyCake

Dessie Dolan missing a late late 21 yard free in front of the posts to beat Meath for the first time.

That one was unbelievable.

seafoid

The GAA funding the Dubs because Laois and Westmeath hurt them too much.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Gael85

Quote from: seafoid on May 05, 2020, 04:01:12 PM
The GAA funding the Dubs because Laois and Westmeath hurt them too much.

Did they pay off Tommy Lyons??   ;D ;D

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on May 05, 2020, 02:32:11 PM
Armagh's comeback v Fermanagh in 1993.

Don't know how I forgot about that one!

We should have a Houdini thread or a Lazarus one, perhaps.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B