Tyrone v Mayo - Sun 2nd Feb - 2.30pm - Healy Park, Omagh (Joe McQuillan ref)

Started by tyroneman, January 29, 2019, 10:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

His movement is fantastic.

Worst I have seen Tyrone in years though early season so I expect they will improve a lot.

ONeill

Quote from: Gold on February 03, 2019, 09:58:21 PM
Andy Moran is pure class

He is. Kept shouting to keep heads and eyes up at the start when Mayo were making hard work of a middlin Tyrone side. He's a gem. As are Higgins and Keegan. Mayo look good.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Quarterback

Perhaps with Tyrone playing no sweeper system it actually highlights how poor defensively Weare..Moran had a field day - is is just me or does anyone else think mc namee is not up to it.

Up front we can't score - we don't have marquee forward hopefully
Mc Aliskey gets back sooner rather than later

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: tyroneman on February 03, 2019, 05:41:00 PM
Quote from: TheMaster on February 03, 2019, 04:51:17 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on February 03, 2019, 04:44:59 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on February 03, 2019, 04:31:54 PM
Tyrone were brutal , made our bucks look mighty. Cavan will bring us back to reality next week .

Is there ever going to be protection for Aido?

Aidan O'Shea doesn't deserve protection. Let himself down badly again today

What happened??

The usual non stop slabbering to the ref / linesman / whoever he's near with sneaky elbows being thrown when no one is watching.

Swan dive and rolling about to get a black card card issued when he was at fault.

Shame. His and Keegans  antics make Mayo awful hard to like.
That should have been a straight red, cheap, trampish shot
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 03, 2019, 06:18:34 PM
Keegans antics yet again blot an otherwise superb mayo performance.

I'd have been disgusted if Keegan hadn't bailed in, Tyrone lad was acting the hard man against a young buck and didn't like it when it was given back to him. What's Keegan meant to do? Stand round and watch his club mate getting mauled?

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 03, 2019, 07:17:51 PM
Quote from: whitey on February 03, 2019, 06:26:07 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on February 03, 2019, 06:18:34 PM
Keegans antics yet again blot an otherwise superb mayo performance.

You mean like the time Cavanagh clattered him in the back in the AISF and he stood up for himself....despicable behavior

No more like the time he threw his GPS tracker at Dean rock when he was hitting a free. Some thing which is beyond anything any Tyrone player has done in recent years.

Exhibit A
https://youtu.be/y3Aqyr433a4

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mayo4Sam

I know you have to try things out in the league but playing without yer sweeper was madness, over the three years we've struggled big time against defensive teams.

Yer passing in the final third was very poor, Higgins was made look exceptional by the amount of ball kicked directly to him

RedHand88

Quote from: ONeill on February 03, 2019, 09:45:37 PM
The sidewards and backwards passing was very annoying, especially when a right few points down. It's as if our lads are so programmed to do it that any sense of doing something slightly different isn't an option. The best sides are finding us an easy touch to defend against.

This really irritated me. 7 points down with 25 minutes left and we're backwards passing. It's like they want to wait until the opposition makes a mistake before taking the ball past the 21.

moysider

Quote from: ONeill on February 03, 2019, 10:26:59 PM
Quote from: Gold on February 03, 2019, 09:58:21 PM
Andy Moran is pure class

He is. Kept shouting to keep heads and eyes up at the start when Mayo were making hard work of a middlin Tyrone side. He's a gem. As are Higgins and Keegan. Mayo look good.

The thing about Andy and Zippy: Andy has never grown up. I mean that in the best possible way. He has never got jaded or thought of retiring. While he can play he will play. Some day somebody will have to take him by the arm and lead him home.
Higgins will still be quicker at 40 than 99% of 20 yr olds.

moysider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 03, 2019, 10:49:14 PM
I know you have to try things out in the league but playing without yer sweeper was madness, over the three years we've struggled big time against defensive teams.

Yer passing in the final third was very poor, Higgins was made look exceptional by the amount of ball kicked directly to him

We are trying things as well. I'm reluctant to comment on another county, but here is an observation. Tyrone might not have been as defensive as we've come to expect but they had the guts of their AI team out there and quality players should be able to deal with a bit of tweaking and express themselves.
For me, today was mostly about Mayo and what we were doing. For me this was one of those performances that can turn out to
be a defining one. I admit I was very dubious about selection. Thought it was far too callow. How wrong I was!!
Okay, it is still early days. Mayo usually transition quickly and on today's evidence we are transitioning very nicely.

macdanger2

Great win today, should have enough now to avoid the last day relegation fears of the past few years. Very good performances all round although Tyrone were dire. We owed them after the hiding in Castlebar last year though. Free taking for Tyrone has to be a worry, brutal misses today from easy positions.

Not sure why anyone's whinging about keegan, it was handbags stuff and from a mayo point of view, good to see him standing up for his rookie clubmate.

What did Tyrone supporters think of Morgan playing fly keeper? I thought it was nervy enough but if he was a bit more assured, could be a good option for later in the year. If he makes a f*ck up though, he'll be pilloried for it

Blowitupref

Quote from: moysider on February 03, 2019, 11:40:12 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 03, 2019, 10:49:14 PM

We are trying things as well. I'm reluctant to comment on another county, but here is an observation. Tyrone might not have been as defensive as we've come to expect but they had the guts of their AI team out there and quality players should be able to deal with a bit of tweaking and express themselves.
For me, today was mostly about Mayo and what we were doing. For me this was one of those performances that can turn out to
be a defining one. I admit I was very dubious about selection. Thought it was far too callow. How wrong I was!!
Okay, it is still early days. Mayo usually transition quickly and on today's evidence we are transitioning very nicely.

Was it that callow?  11 of that starting team today has played in AI semi final or finals. Young/new players going into an experienced team like that is a dream environment to impress and Tracey,McDonagh certainly excelled today.

On Tyrone as i said already in this thread it took them until round 5 v Donegal last year before they showed signs of the side that would go on to the reach the AI final and maybe the same could happen for them again this year.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Never beat the deeler

Good news to wake up to this morning - a welcome 2 points, and not a win you would be banking on when the fixtures were released.

Will watch the game after work, so nothing specific to add.
Two early wins mean the league will have a different feel for Mayo - instead of being under pressure from the start, we have the luxury of trying some things. We can keep playing the young blood and different combinations within the various lines.

One question - is the word 'callow' widely used in Ireland? I've seen it more in the last couple of pages of this thread than I've seen / heard the word my entire life!  ;D
Hasta la victoria siempre