Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

What about picking men up in the last seconds of a final. i'm sure they will work on that tactic :'(

CJ may not be available due to injury for the national league, currently playing with injury.

so if we win against Cavan, do we then get into the qualifiers? or do we still have to beat Armagh. and if we win the div 4 national league is that us out of the Tommy Murphy Cup?

theskull1

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 19, 2007, 01:49:13 PM
Quote from: PlayWithTheWind on October 18, 2007, 03:42:06 PM
is that championship match home or away to cavan?

hope jody changes his defensive tactics! will there be any new faces making it through to the squad?

Michael Pollock (Gorts), Mark Graham (Portglenone) and Liam Carlin (St. Paul's) are the only new names I've heard. Joe Quinn back for another year and only one McGourty.

Don't know about improved defensive tactics, running techniques appear to be much more important.

Jesus ...fair play to Big Joe...he's given plenty to Antrim Football. It's easier to go back to a successful squad year on year, so full credit to his many years commitment through a lot of lean years. Don't really know the man but have chatted to him a few times. Seems like a sound bloke
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

PlayWithTheWind

anyone hear anyting about Aldergrove / Lamh Dhearg  match at the weekend? what actually happened and who the ref was? curious to what happened.
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

Gold

heard there was a big row at half time.

See Div 2 is tight as a drum after Sharkin beat Brids on sunday.

Wot do you's think of the county awards given out last week--do the players get prizes ie money, gear etc or just trophies ?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on October 19, 2007, 03:31:07 PM
What about picking men up in the last seconds of a final. i'm sure they will work on that tactic :'(

CJ may not be available due to injury for the national league, currently playing with injury.

so if we win against Cavan, do we then get into the qualifiers? or do we still have to beat Armagh. and if we win the div 4 national league is that us out of the Tommy Murphy Cup?

My understanding would be that to get out of the TM cup and into the qualifiers, Antrim must either:

1. Get promoted from division 4.
2. Qualify for the Ulster final by beating Cavan, Armagh and probably Tyrone.

Well done Dr. McSparran. The flights are being booked already.

As for tactics etc. we are no better off than this time last year, but at least we will be experts in running techniques.

Quote from: theskull1 on October 19, 2007, 04:12:18 PM
Jesus ...fair play to Big Joe...he's given plenty to Antrim Football. It's easier to go back to a successful squad year on year, so full credit to his many years commitment through a lot of lean years. Don't really know the man but have chatted to him a few times. Seems like a sound bloke

Joe owes nobdy anything at this stage, especially given his family circumstances.  Had heard that he had packed it in, but he must be giving it another year.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Gaelicy O Flaherty

Does anyone know what happened to Setanta's, Ballymoney?  I played for them a few of years back but have since moved away, I noticed they don't seem to be in the league this year.  I think it is a shame if certain elements in the town have had their way and the club has folded, they had one or two decent players and seemed to be fostering a great parish identity.  I hope it is not related to Liam Beckett's comments that it was introducing a Republican element into Ballymoney.  :'(

PlayWithTheWind

was driving through west belfast today when i tuned into Feile FM 103.2 where i heard Kevin McGourty (shaws road) who has his own wee slot on the station.

every friday -  14:30pm to 15:30pm   "Radio GAA GAA"

did anyone listen to this, i only caught the end of it and the topic of conversation was about the GPA and about St Galls ladies in the Ulster Football Final this weekend and how their senior footballers have two football matches on the same day, whereas Dunloy do not have a football game with their hurlers in the Ulster Hurling Final.

at first i was shocked when i heard McGourty presenting on the radio, but nothing surprises me with that man!

Its not over til the fat lady sings!

imtommygunn

Sam - I notice your comments with regard to the running.

Surely this is the time to build the fitness levels and the games / league are the times to develop some tactics??

I would have thought it be a bit early to be getting cynical.

I would be reasonably positive about the football next year. We have a draw in the ulster championship which we are capable of winning if we have everyone available and things are going well.

I'm not sure we'll get out of division 4 this year but if we get a good few wins under our belt and get some confidence built up that should be a big help for the championship anyway and if everything goes really well we could win division 4.

tintin25

Lads, what are the Dunloy footballers like? I see they are propping up Div 1 but won the Intermediate. They have any lads on the County set-up?

Glensman

tintin25 - Dunloy footballers are pretty poor and have no players on the county set up.
i.e. Away and fish for information elsewhere!!

Good luck to the competing Antrim teams over the weekend.

ONeill

I believe all 3 McGourtys are carrying injuries with CJ the most doubtful. Cavan are a useful side. I can see the Breffni nicking this one.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Balboa

Quote from: ONeill on November 01, 2007, 07:38:23 PM
I believe all 3 McGourtys are carrying injuries with CJ the most doubtful. Cavan are a useful side. I can see the Breffni nicking this one.

I think CJ is out and Shaws Road will probably inform us via the Irish News in next couple of days if he will be playing.

gaagaa

Quote from: Balboa on November 01, 2007, 10:29:53 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 01, 2007, 07:38:23 PM

I think CJ is out and Shaws Road will probably inform us via the Irish News in next couple of days if he will be playing.

you couldnt believe whats coming out of either camp at this stage  ::) - cavan to win regardless of what teams put out against them

Hoof Hearted

i see dunloy footballers are playing their ulster intermediate cship match on sunday @ loughuile.
i remember hearing that loughuile wouldnt allow footballers on their pitch to train - maybe that was only a tale
but its the first i heard of a football match there , although ofcourse no doubt im totally wrong !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

imtommygunn

It's the first time I've ever heard of a football match at Loughgiel.

I worry about St Galls and all the hype around them. I heard it said that they would only put young McGourty on "if they needed him". This Cavan Gaels team contains two superb forwards in Lyng and Seanie Johnston who will cause St Galls a lot of bother and if they are in any way complacent I think they could be in trouble. They also have Anthony Forde and a few other useful boys who will take a lot of watching.

If they think this game is an easy game they are in serious trouble.

However in saying that maybe I'm reading too much into it. I hope they win - would take them to win by one or two but to have a tighter game than anything they've seen all year.