Leinster Minor Hurling 2019

Started by burdizzo, April 24, 2019, 04:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blow-in

Who actually told you it was a closed shop??

U15 management only have two mentors involved. The previous years management couldn't commit for various reasons. Hard for them to carry two panels when only two people willing to help out.

Outrageous name being thrown around as minor hurling coach. Anyone else hear anything. Thankfully it ain't muldooley!!!

clonadmad

Quote from: Batman!!! on August 24, 2019, 10:19:52 AM
Who actually told you it was a closed shop??

U15 management only have two mentors involved. The previous years management couldn't commit for various reasons. Hard for them to carry two panels when only two people willing to help out.

Outrageous name being thrown around as minor hurling coach. Anyone else hear anything. Thankfully it ain't muldooley!!!

I asked our GDA was their going to be a trial for this years u16 team,he came back to me and the answer was an emphatic No.

The last trial for this particular team was when they were u14.

The level of apathy towards underage hurling in this county continues unabated.

Delighted to hear it's not Muldowney,to say he went through the motions here as a GDA would be an understatement.

Spiritof1915

I completely agree with Clonadmad regarding this years U16 panel. At least the u15s had ongoing trials at the start of the year. How the team can be termed as a development panel is beyond me.
~No trials since u14
~The only so called hurling county that had one panel in place since u14.
~Players handpicked by selectors who clearly have club bias when selecting a panel and don't travel to other club or schools games.
~Having ongoing training sessions for the last 2 years where they would be lucky to get 20 players
~Denying other players with a passion to hurl for their county the right to trial.
I accept that some times it may be difficult to get the required help but this is where the county board needs to be proactive about hurling and drive us on to the next level. This should all be sorted before Xmas.
Go outside the county if you have to. Ex players who have a passion for laois hurling. Spend some money ffs. The profile of laois hurling is strong at the moment it wouldn't be too difficult to get a proper management team in place for next years minors who are a fiercely talented group.

Zooming around

Quote from: clonadmad on August 22, 2019, 10:16:44 AM
Quote from: Spiritof1915 on August 21, 2019, 08:48:20 PM
Well from what I can gather, is that the management team opted to enter one team only in the tony Forristal (albeit with fantastic results) when this group where u14. This went against the grain of every other year when Laois sent 2 teams. I think the majority of the problem is that other chaps not involved in the click have no interest or desire to be ask in to make up the numbers in what essentially is a closed shop.

The fact that the panel has never had trials and are handpicked by the selectors in the intervening years is unbelievable. The mentors who call the shots are involved with their club teams so they never get to view other games independently.
I again reiterate the fact that Laois had only three subs last Saturday a week or two out from their important end of season tournament. Is their any other development panel in the country managed in this way. I believe that one chap playing corner forward is a back and has been playing in that position since he was small. No surprise when I heard he was from one of the selectors club.

Ditto with this years u16 team

We had 2/3 lads who we thought might be worthy of consideration,only to be told that it was a closed shop also,there's been no trials for this group also since u14.

Unbelievable carry on

Also the 2 u15 teams were cut to 1 this year.

I've seen Ye hurl on numerous occasions over the last few years and I'd question who these 2/3 lads are. To say the standard is low would be an understatement. Huge numbers of players unable to perform even the most basic skills. I didn't see any potential county players.  In fairness, maybe those lads weren't playing on any of those nights. I'm still struggling to believe that one of the mentors actually told you it's a closed shop.

What is really amazing is that 4or 5 of the Kilkenny team that Laois beat at u14 we're playing in the minor final last Sunday.

Ogie

New management team to be named this week, big big name involved.
Interesting to see how it works out

Keyser Söze

Hard to believe he is genuinely going to be there on a regular basis!
Maybe he will
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

les Antiques

Mad Mentor

Quote from: Zooming around on August 25, 2019, 10:58:30 AM
Well from what I can gather, is that the management team opted to enter one team only in the tony Forristal (albeit with fantastic results) when this group where u14. This went against the grain of every other year when Laois sent 2 teams. I think the majority of the problem is that other chaps not involved in the click have no interest or desire to be ask in to make up the numbers in what essentially is a closed shop.

The fact that the panel has never had trials and are handpicked by the selectors in the intervening years is unbelievable. The mentors who call the shots are involved with their club teams so they never get to view other games independently.
I again reiterate the fact that Laois had only three subs last Saturday a week or two out from their important end of season tournament. Is their any other development panel in the country managed in this way. I believe that one chap playing corner forward is a back and has been playing in that position since he was small. No surprise when I heard he was from one of the selectors club.

We had 2/3 lads who we thought might be worthy of consideration,only to be told that it was a closed shop also,there’s been no trials for this group also since u14.

Unbelievable carry on

I’ve seen Ye hurl on numerous occasions over the last few years and I’d question who these 2/3 lads are. To say the standard is low would be an understatement. Huge numbers of players unable to perform even the most basic skills. I didn’t see any potential county players.  In fairness, maybe those lads weren’t playing on any of those nights. I’m still struggling to believe that one of the mentors actually told you it’s a closed shop.

What is really amazing is that 4or 5 of the Kilkenny team that Laois beat at u14 we’re playing in the minor final last Sunday.
That's a bit of an unfair dig at young players Zooming Around. We need to include players from every club in our county squads. There were several lads from that u14 Laois team that played minor this year so what's your point? It's easier to play better when you have better players around you and there's a long way between u14 and u17.
    Without a doubt next year's minors will be potentially our most talented group for years, but this will be nothing to do with the county board and arguably even the management team who have been over them since u14. It may already be too late to get the best out of these lads as there has been no co-ordinated development work done in the intervening years. This year especially has been very disjointed. The minor management wanted a minor panel of thirty, so they could have fifteen v fifteen matches in training. However this meant that there were some lads in their final year minor - who weren't getting game time - or even getting on a match day panel of 24, and who felt they were only being used as training fodder. At the same time, there was a Celtic Challenge squad - also u17 - and some lads opted to "drop down" to this in order to get game time. This squad was mainly u16's and only two u17s were used on the pitch at any one time. A couple of the u16's were subsequently moved up to the minor panel to fill in for injuries. Once you had played minor you couldn't go back to Celtic Challenge. This team struggled a bit as they were predominantly up against teams where they were all u17.
     There seemed to be a big lack of coordination between the two squads and no joined up thinking as to how to get the best out of all the players available. It would appear that each management team - at all age groups - are just let get on with it as they see fit. Similarly to the club scene, it is left to parents to take on these management roles and the county board seem happy to allow this to continue. The Setanta programme seems to have disappeared. It wasn't without its flaws, but at least it gave any young lad who wanted it, a chance to be part of a bigger set up outside the club.
      The minor team management in my opinion should be co-ordinated with all the development squads below it with a chance for all players and coaches to feed into it. Everyone working to a plan and with as many players involved as possible.
      There is a temptation at every level to have a winning team, that leads to a neglect of the long term development of the county. While it is great to be competitive at the Tony Forristal, you are already down the road of picking players just to be successful in the short term. I would be far more impressed to see a big name come in to organise the overall development of players from u14 to minor.

Zooming around

Quote from: Mad Mentor on August 25, 2019, 03:21:24 PM

We had 2/3 lads who we thought might be worthy of consideration,only to be told that it was a closed shop also,there's been no trials for this group also since u14.

Unbelievable carry on

I've seen Ye hurl on numerous occasions over the last few years and I'd question who these 2/3 lads are. To say the standard is low would be an understatement. Huge numbers of players unable to perform even the most basic skills. I didn't see any potential county players.  In fairness, maybe those lads weren't playing on any of those nights. I'm still struggling to believe that one of the mentors actually told you it's a closed shop.

What is really amazing is that 4or 5 of the Kilkenny team that Laois beat at u14 we're playing in the minor final last Sunday.
That's a bit of an unfair dig at young players Zooming Around. We need to include players from every club in our county squads. There were several lads from that u14 Laois team that played minor this year so what's your point? It's easier to play better when you have better players around you and there's a long way between u14 and u17.
    Without a doubt next year's minors will be potentially our most talented group for years, but this will be nothing to do with the county board and arguably even the management team who have been over them since u14. It may already be too late to get the best out of these lads as there has been no co-ordinated development work done in the intervening years. This year especially has been very disjointed. The minor management wanted a minor panel of thirty, so they could have fifteen v fifteen matches in training. However this meant that there were some lads in their final year minor - who weren't getting game time - or even getting on a match day panel of 24, and who felt they were only being used as training fodder. At the same time, there was a Celtic Challenge squad - also u17 - and some lads opted to "drop down" to this in order to get game time. This squad was mainly u16's and only two u17s were used on the pitch at any one time. A couple of the u16's were subsequently moved up to the minor panel to fill in for injuries. Once you had played minor you couldn't go back to Celtic Challenge. This team struggled a bit as they were predominantly up against teams where they were all u17.
     There seemed to be a big lack of coordination between the two squads and no joined up thinking as to how to get the best out of all the players available. It would appear that each management team - at all age groups - are just let get on with it as they see fit. Similarly to the club scene, it is left to parents to take on these management roles and the county board seem happy to allow this to continue. The Setanta programme seems to have disappeared. It wasn't without its flaws, but at least it gave any young lad who wanted it, a chance to be part of a bigger set up outside the club.
      The minor team management in my opinion should be co-ordinated with all the development squads below it with a chance for all players and coaches to feed into it. Everyone working to a plan and with as many players involved as possible.
      There is a temptation at every level to have a winning team, that leads to a neglect of the long term development of the county. While it is great to be competitive at the Tony Forristal, you are already down the road of picking players just to be successful in the short term. I would be far more impressed to see a big name come in to organise the overall development of players from u14 to minor.

I wasn't trying to be unfair on anyone. Just calling it as I saw it.
I agree with you on the Setanta program. Very disappointing the way it's being neglected

clonadmad

Unbelievable carry on

Regardless of whether lads are good enough from my club or yours for that matter

The bottom line is that this years u16 team was a closed shop and has been since those lads were u14

It mightn't suit you to hear it but that's the reality

Zooming around

Quote from: clonadmad on August 25, 2019, 05:50:40 PM

Unbelievable carry on

Regardless of whether lads are good enough from my club or yours for that matter

The bottom line is that this years u16 team was a closed shop and has been since those lads were u14

It mightn't suit you to hear it but that's the reality

It really doesn't matter what suits me. I'm not involved in any way other than I have a couple of nephews around this age grade. I'm still struggling with the notion that any set of mentors would close the shop at 14 and not be open to bringing in anyone who sticks their hand up.

Keyser Söze

Unfortunately that management team have a little bit of an "In" with county board.
The name I am hearing is Derek McGrath. I believe the current U16s were told over the last few days that if the U16 management team got the gig McGrath would be their trainer. Seems a little underhand.
Also a surefire way to destabilise any alternative management team that might get the job ahead of them!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

GAA-SMART

Its all madness. Most GAA thing ever. Only one reason that man is going to train a Laois Minor Team and its not for the betterment of young laois hurlers.

Don Draper

Quote from: GAA-SMART on August 26, 2019, 08:28:59 AM
Its all madness. Most GAA thing ever. Only one reason that man is going to train a Laois Minor Team and its not for the betterment of young laois hurlers.
Agreed, he's obviously in it for the glamour.

burdizzo

Exactly.
Excuse my naivety, but what's the problem if we have a high-profile trainer?