IRA "fired first" in 1987 attack in Loughgall

Started by Trout, December 02, 2011, 11:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: trileacman on December 04, 2011, 02:00:57 PM
Through the laces pointed that out in a few quotes above as did another poster after him. I may spell it out for you again though. Hypocrisy? We expect nothing less from the British. You can't high-step your way around the world, claiming moral superiority, whilst simultaneously tramping the native population into the dirt without tying yourself in a few knots. It's the nationalist movement who should be a step above it.
You expect nothing less, so you just don't like to talk about them? That is a mealy mouthed response. The fact of the matter is that this whole Loughgall incident demonstrated the fundamental inconsistency in Britain's description of what they were doing in Ireland. You seem to accept that as just a fact of life so why bother take them to task over it. You only mention the British inconsistency when prompted to give your opinion. Otherwise, you are content to use this glaring example of British inconsistency as a means to attack Republicans. Feeding into the myth that Republicans are the big baddies and it was all their fault. "And the British trileacman? Ah yeah they weren't nice either, but I don't want to talk about them, let's just talk about the republicans."

Quote from: trileacman on December 04, 2011, 02:00:57 PM
Sure if you can't format a reply just play the man and not the ball.
Says the man who made a thinly veiled accusation of sectarianism out of the blue against me when I was talking about incidents in the row at the Dromore/Carrickmore match a few weeks back...

...and only today posted the following on the GAA discussion section:
Quote from: trileacman on December 04, 2011, 02:08:16 PM
Quote from: zoyler on December 04, 2011, 12:25:49 PM
Can't get The Irish News in my part of the cpountry but here therewas ne're a mention of  the 9th title win in his coloum on Friday - had he not heard?  Maybe somebody should tell him!

Take your head out of your hole and someone might give you a Irish News.

...and then there was your short and sharp message to whishtup:
Quote from: trileacman on November 22, 2011, 01:36:52 AM
You are a bollocks.

You're clearly a real people person.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

LostInSpace

"IRA "fired first" in 1987 attack in Loughgall"

This has no relevance in a War zone, which was the case in the North!  We lost men that day, we cant win every battle, name a war where the death toll is zero on one side. 

Óglaigh na hÉireann

Myles Na G.

Quote from: LostInSpace on December 04, 2011, 03:53:36 PM
"IRA "fired first" in 1987 attack in Loughgall"

This has no relevance in a War zone, which was the case in the North!  We lost men that day, we cant win every battle, name a war where the death toll is zero on one side. 

Óglaigh na hÉireann
Take heart from the fact that these soldiers of Ireland did not die in vain. British rule in Ireland is at an end! Partition of our country has been consigned to the dustbin of history! Republicans are, even as we speak, playing a vital role in the local assembly at Stormont!

Fear ón Srath Bán

One person, one vote; an admission from the Brits that they "have no selfish or strategic interest in Northern Ireland; the disbandment of the B-Specials, UDR & RUC; an end to the Unionist political hegemony, etc.

No one's saying that the job is done - there is still institutionalised and endemic discrimination in certain spheres like, for example, Medicine, so it's very much a work in progress: a political world away, however, from the Unionist dominated horrors of the 60s.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on December 04, 2011, 05:27:47 PM
One person, one vote; an admission from the Brits that they "have no selfish or strategic interest in Northern Ireland; the disbandment of the B-Specials, UDR & RUC; an end to the Unionist political hegemony, etc.

No one's saying that the job is done - there is still institutionalised and endemic discrimination in certain spheres like, for example, Medicine, so it's very much a work in progress: a political world away, however, from the Unionist dominated horrors of the 60s.
One person, one vote came in around 1969, just as the B Specials were being disbanded. The unionist one party state was effectively dismantled in the early 70s and again owed more to the civil rights people and constitutional nationalism than militant republicanism. The IRA's campaign was directed at removing the British presence from Ireland, not about reforming a state they thought shouldn't exist in the first place. Now republicans are trying to rewrite history and steal the laurels that rightly belong to others. Shameful, but typical.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on December 04, 2011, 06:00:35 PM

One person, one vote came in around 1969, just as the B Specials were being disbanded. The unionist one party state was effectively dismantled in the early 70s and again owed more to the civil rights people and constitutional nationalism than militant republicanism. The IRA's campaign was directed at removing the British presence from Ireland, not about reforming a state they thought shouldn't exist in the first place. Now republicans are trying to rewrite history and steal the laurels that rightly belong to others. Shameful, but typical.
Interesting opinion of yours!
It would have been even more interesting to see what your opinion would have been if you had been subjected to these horrors of yesteryear! It's fairly obv you weren't or possibly you were part of the side of the oppressor!!!
Fear an SB is very correct with his last post and it's content!

Your opinion is however incorrect on the objectives of the republicans retaliation. You can't even blame Simon fein this time as you tend and like to do !!!

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 04, 2011, 06:57:56 PM

It would have been even more interesting to see what your opinion would have been if you had been subjected to these horrors of yesteryear! It's fairly obv you weren't or possibly you were part of the side of the oppressor!!!

Your opinion is however incorrect on the objectives of the republicans retaliation. You can't even blame Simon fein this time as you tend and like to do !!!
Here's Marty in 1985 still saying that votes for SF won't bring freedom, that only the cutting edge of the IRA can do that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzvpMlHuIrs
No mention of one man, one vote or disbanding the B Specials, both of which had already happened before the emergence of the provos.  No mention either of ending unionist hegemony, presumably because that had already happened too. The IRA only had one objective, you see, and that was Brits Out. Only when it became apparent to them that their long war was not going to have any more success in achieving this than their border campaign of the 50s had done, did they start looking at other options. Don't get me wrong. I'm as happy as anyone that the violence ended and the guns were put away. I just wish they'd realised the futility of their actions about 25 years earlier.
Wonder if Marty still thinks voting for SF's a waste of time?

haveaharp

Wow

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on December 04, 2011, 08:52:07 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 04, 2011, 06:57:56 PM

Here's Marty in 1985 still saying that votes for SF won't bring freedom, that only the cutting edge of the IRA can do that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzvpMlHuIrs
No mention of one man, one vote or disbanding the B Specials, both of which had already happened before the emergence of the provos.  No mention either of ending unionist hegemony, presumably because that had already happened too. The IRA only had one objective, you see, and that was Brits Out. Only when it became apparent to them that their long war was not going to have any more success in achieving this than their border campaign of the 50s had done, did they start looking at other options. Don't get me wrong. I'm as happy as anyone that the violence ended and the guns were put away. I just wish they'd realised the futility of their actions about 25 years earlier.
Wonder if Marty still thinks voting for SF's a waste of time?
...if that's your 'proof'  then you might realize you need to sit down and have a big rethink on what to are posting on here - your opinion is fine but it doesn't scratch the surface of reality.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: sammymaguire on December 04, 2011, 10:02:01 AM
Sorry to bring this to your attention Minder but I think it's fair to say most sports loving Sinn Fein folk would attend GAA games and events and may even be members of some clubs and county boards.

You'd be more likely to find them in Parkhead.

QuoteI also think its fair to say that most people in general who attend GAA games and events would have Sinn Fein as their political party of preference.

Jesus wept!  ::)

Eamonnca1

Spot on. I had to laugh at the other post up above giving out about "people who didn't stick their necks out but then took all the credit for what was achieved."  The Shinners are in a commanding position today because they finally woke up to the benefits of the SDLP's way of doing things, i.e. getting people on your side by persuasion rather than shooting at them. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out but it took the proves 30 odd years to get it into their heads and there's a handful of malcontents (Éirigi/32CSM/RIRA etc.) who still don't get it. Why? Because if they had two heads they'd be twice as stupid.

ThroughTheLaces

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 05, 2011, 04:33:06 AM
Spot on. I had to laugh at the other post up above giving out about "people who didn't stick their necks out but then took all the credit for what was achieved."  The Shinners are in a commanding position today because they finally woke up to the benefits of the SDLP's way of doing things, i.e. getting people on your side by persuasion rather than shooting at them. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out but it took the proves 30 odd years to get it into their heads and there's a handful of malcontents (Éirigi/32CSM/RIRA etc.) who still don't get it. Why? Because if they had two heads they'd be twice as stupid.

This is simply wrong. So you're telling me SF would still be in such a commanding position had the IRA not fired one bullet? Waken up. I'm no longer a SF supporter, nor do I support the SDLP. I wouldn't be too harsh on Éirigi/32CSM/RIRA etc., they are only following on from what they've been taught by the big boys up on the hill.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Eamonnca1

Biggest nationalist party during Troubles: SDLP
Biggest nationalist party after Troubles: SF

Conclusion: Nationalists in general are opposed to armed force and felt better about voting for SF after they ditched the violence.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on December 05, 2011, 04:55:37 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 05, 2011, 04:33:06 AM

This is simply wrong. So you're telling me SF would still be in such a commanding position had the IRA not fired one bullet? Waken up. I'm no longer a SF supporter, nor do I support the SDLP. I wouldn't be too harsh on Éirigi/32CSM/RIRA etc., they are only following on from what they've been taught by the big boys up on the hill.
would agree with that.
However I wouldnt be too fond of eirigi/32csm/RIRA or sf for that matter !

sf or the nationalist people wouldnt be out of the second class citizenship if sadly the retaliation didnt happen. pity it took that to gain equality.