Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1666065635195990017?s=20

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/oneill-says-john-finucane-to-attend-south-armagh-commemoration/969055908.html

https://www.newstalk.com/news/wholly-inappropriate-for-irish-people-to-attend-ric-commemoration-in-the-uk-sinn-fein-1248570

Sinn Féin TD John Brady said it was "wholly inappropriate" for the Irish Government to attempt to commemorate the RIC, "and by extension the Black and Tans."

"I think it was absolutely unbelievable that that notion ever entered anyone's head here within the Irish Government," he said.

What we have seen here in this country was a brutal occupying force that set about trying to destroy the mandate that had been given. We had brutal atrocities carried out by the Black and Tans and certainly I don't think it is appropriate that butchers such as that should be commemorated here within this country in any way shape or form."

Asked about the Irish people that served in the RIC over its 86-yer history, he noted that many of them "saw exactly what was going on" during the War of Independence and withdrew their services.

"Certainly, I don't think it is appropriate for any Irish people to commemorate people who carried out such terrible atrocities such as those carried out by the Black and Tans."

Everyone has a right to remember their dead.... as long as Sinn Fein approves of course.

general_lee

Do the RIC/Tans not fall under the poppy umbrella of remembering the British army's deeds in Ireland? As a stoop you'd be much more versed in this than I.

trailer

Quote from: general_lee on June 07, 2023, 10:14:06 AM
Do the RIC/Tans not fall under the poppy umbrella of remembering the British army's deeds in Ireland? As a stoop you'd be much more versed in this than I.

Given they both seemed to kill lots of Irish people it is difficult to tell the difference between the two organisations I grant you that.
Are Sinn Fein not the new stoops? Tea with the King and all that. 

marty34

Bit silly for unionists to ask nationalists and republicans to stop attending these events.  Playing to the crowd as usual.

Sad that some on here will get sucked into the narrative.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on June 07, 2023, 05:34:48 PM
Bit silly for unionists to ask nationalists and republicans to stop attending these events.  Playing to the crowd as usual.

That narrative is "Unionism was as clean as the driven snow and those evil, murderous, Nationalists terrorised us for no reason at all"

NAG1

Until there is some mechanism to deal with the past in an open and transparent way these events are going to cause controversy.

The fact is at the moment they are being used by one side to change the current narrative, but in general they will keep coming about time and time again.

No one is innocent in this, not republicans, not loyalists, not the British or Irish governments. So some sort framework needs to be developed to allow people to recognise 'their' past whilst not letting it derail the future for everyone.

Pub Bore

Latest in a long list of headlines "Unionist Fury...About Something Or Other"

trailer

Quote from: marty34 on June 07, 2023, 05:34:48 PM

I'm just pointing out that SF were highly critical of the RIC commemoration yet they believe everyone should be allowed to remember their dead. First Minister for all should be more than a slogan.

Milltown Row2

There was a great series on BBC (probably still on, but watched all on Iplayer) Once Upon a Time in Northern Ireland.

Just another view from those that were unlucky enough to be either dragged in or exploited or whole heartedly believed in what they were doing

For me a truth commission and amnesty for those that participate in it will at least close some doors on the past and allow for the vast majority to move on, taking away the resentment or that justice wasn't carried out gets past on down through the family through generations

For those that participated it takes balls, as they have been affected first hand, most people post ceasefire have not but it hasn't stopped the hate, I'd actually say, based on what you see on social media that it's actually worse than the period of the troubles, the hate that is.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 09, 2023, 11:59:51 AM
There was a great series on BBC (probably still on, but watched all on Iplayer) Once Upon a Time in Northern Ireland.

Just another view from those that were unlucky enough to be either dragged in or exploited or whole heartedly believed in what they were doing

For me a truth commission and amnesty for those that participate in it will at least close some doors on the past and allow for the vast majority to move on, taking away the resentment or that justice wasn't carried out gets past on down through the family through generations

For those that participated it takes balls, as they have been affected first hand, most people post ceasefire have not but it hasn't stopped the hate, I'd actually say, based on what you see on social media that it's actually worse than the period of the troubles, the hate that is.

Brilliant show. And very moving.
There will never be a truth commission. Do you think the British government is going to tell the truth? Would the IRA? Would the UDA/ UVF? The Unionist politicians? Not a chance.
Victims won't accept an amnesty. So that's out the window before you even start.
Time will move on. Relatives of the Victims and those who a carried out the murders will die. Nobody will be left to carry the fight for truth and justice. Another 15 - 20 years and it will all be a ghost story. 

Saffrongael

It was really good because it wasn't just the usual talking heads from both sides, I found the UDA fella interesting to see how far he had come to realise how futile it all was
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

dec

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 09, 2023, 11:59:51 AM

For those of you in the US, this is available to stream for free on the PBS app. It is the first Northern Ireland troubles history that my kids have watched, it opened their eyes to some of what Daddy grew up with.

Rois

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 09, 2023, 12:11:13 PM
It was really good because it wasn't just the usual talking heads from both sides, I found the UDA fella interesting to see how far he had come to realise how futile it all was
Only watched Episode 2 last night, but he had us in stitches, saying how he wouldn't give his 17 year old granddaughter a f*ckin milkshake, never mind a gun. 

trailer

Finucane can't complain about loyalist violence anymore.