Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Sportacus on November 13, 2022, 12:52:19 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 13, 2022, 09:38:26 AM
Quote from: Sportacus on November 13, 2022, 09:37:09 AM
Genuine question, are the likes of Mickey Brady and Francie Molloy stealing a living, or are they doing some really great work somewhere and I just haven't seen it.
Mickey would do a good bit in the community in fairness to him, but he's not exactly in danger of losing a seat
Very good, but I don't know any community workers on 84 grand a year plus expenses, and anyway is that not what councillors are for?  Most MPs do constituency work on a Friday, so what does Mickey actually do on a Monday, or a Tuesday etc?
If you are going to have a go get your facts straight, they do not receive a salary as they don't take the oath of allegiance. Their expenses cover offices and staffing.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 14, 2022, 02:39:40 PM
Genuine question, are the likes of Mickey Brady and Francie Molloy stealing a living, or are they doing some really great work somewhere and I just haven't seen it.
Mickey would do a good bit in the community in fairness to him, but he's not exactly in danger of losing a seat
Very good, but I don't know any community workers on 84 grand a year plus expenses, and anyway is that not what councillors are for?  Most MPs do constituency work on a Friday, so what does Mickey actually do on a Monday, or a Tuesday etc?
If you are going to have a go get your facts straight, they do not receive a salary as they don't take the oath of allegiance. Their expenses cover offices and staffing.

lol

screenexile

Tony Baloney

Aye sure they are all still on £356 per week.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 14, 2022, 09:08:35 PM
Aye sure they are all still on £356 per week.

I'm not sure what they are on, but it is factually incorrect to say that they draw a Westminster salary.

Wildweasel74

Then why even take the money if they don't attend, we giving it large to stormont getting paid when they do f**k all especially the DUP, but no tickle taking money from Westminster for doing nothing, or doing work the local councillor should be doing in the first place.

Snapchap

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 15, 2022, 10:58:27 AM
Then why even take the money if they don't attend, we giving it large to stormont getting paid when they do f**k all especially the DUP, but no tickle taking money from Westminster for doing nothing, or doing work the local councillor should be doing in the first place.
Doing nothing? The only thing they don't do is attend the commons chamber. You think sit in for debates is all an MP does?

Applesisapples

Politicians in general get a bad press. But not one of us on this board would do their job at any price. They are at the beck and call of constituents 24/7, and get little or no thanks. I have worked with a number of them from all parties and the are genuinely always willing to help. It is very easy to criticise them and tar them all with the one brush. Of all the parties the DUP tend only to want to look after their own. UUP, SF, Alliance and SDLP are always willing to help.

trailer

You'd have to wonder in general what is keeping the SF MPs going. Look at Chris Hazzard for example, married young family. £300 a week or whatever would go nowhere nowadays. He seems fairly capable to be fair.
Suppose the same can be said of MLAs who are now facing a pay cut. You'd wonder why many of the bother. Simon Hamilton left last time and what you tend to find is those who are capable have a second income or leave politics. I suppose if you have no other alternative and you're completely unemployable (as many are) you just have to stick it out. 

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on November 15, 2022, 12:57:18 PM
You'd have to wonder in general what is keeping the SF MPs going. Look at Chris Hazzard for example, married young family. £300 a week or whatever would go nowhere nowadays. He seems fairly capable to be fair.
Suppose the same can be said of MLAs who are now facing a pay cut. You'd wonder why many of the bother. Simon Hamilton left last time and what you tend to find is those who are capable have a second income or leave politics. I suppose if you have no other alternative and you're completely unemployable (as many are) you just have to stick it out.
I'm not privy to anyones personal finances or tax returns but would imagine not too many are on £300 a week. Wouldn't be much change after diesel and food never mind much else

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Having worked close with SF, there is loads of money under the carpet

trueblue1234

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 15, 2022, 01:04:37 PM
The gospel according to St Fear.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Saffrongael

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 15, 2022, 12:59:54 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 15, 2022, 12:57:18 PM
I'm not privy to anyones personal finances or tax returns but would imagine not too many are on £300 a week. Wouldn't be much change after diesel and food never mind much else

Think the "average industrial wage" has been done away with & they can "donate" from their salary as they see fit
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 15, 2022, 05:02:00 PM

Gauranteed to know more than you.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 15, 2022, 07:11:42 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 15, 2022, 05:02:00 PM

Gauranteed to know more than you.

Of course. The man in the know, don't ya know.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit