Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 07, 2021, 10:42:41 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 07, 2021, 09:13:36 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on December 07, 2021, 09:03:37 AM
Strange hill for SF to die on with this ban on hunting with dogs...

What was so wrong with the wording of the legislation I wonder?

nothing. Its about votes as it always is with them, running with foxes and the hounds again both sides of the border on policies

80% of the public back a ban, so how is this about votes? Isn't this the opposite?

True it was a big consultation response tbf, ah must be some dodgy lobbying group then, money, diesel or the likes

trueblue1234

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 07, 2021, 10:38:42 AM
It's the story of thing carried out by yahoos and rednecks over here.

They should have backed the ban.

Absolutely. I struggle to see their viewpoint on this. A very bad decision that won't help them.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Snapchap

Quote from: Louther on December 07, 2021, 10:46:01 AM

Another example of why they'll struggle in power, when real decisions have to be made they hide and sit on the fence. Be it their voter base or inner group calling the shots they incapable of taking a position. If it's a simple decision like this, how can they handle bigger calls that will have to be made that affect then of thousands of people. They can't abstain then.

Also same old story with Covid restrictions coming back in, their first reaction is to shout for business supports and PUP payments and when that already been done they disappear avoid any commentary round the restrictions, in case they asked if they agree or disagree with them.

Everything can't be based on calling for a report into XYZ, in real life you make a decision and stand over it.

I still think they'll not field enough candidates in ROI at next election, be unable to form a majority and happily sit in opposition. They have no spine.

Yes the party who's members put their lives on the line more than any other to stand up for nationalists during the conflict, has no spine.  ::)

Snapchap

No idea what was wrong with the wording. I notice the SDLP also said they were unhappy with it, but voted for it anyway. Until somebody explains exactly what the problem was with it, then it's a bad look for SF to have voted against it.

But to suggest that this will be the hill SF die on? Now come on. I very much doubt that this will still be in the news cycle by tomorrow, let alone being a big enough story to bring down Ireland's largest party.

Louther

Quote from: Snapchap on December 07, 2021, 10:53:33 AM
Quote from: Louther on December 07, 2021, 10:46:01 AM

Another example of why they'll struggle in power, when real decisions have to be made they hide and sit on the fence. Be it their voter base or inner group calling the shots they incapable of taking a position. If it's a simple decision like this, how can they handle bigger calls that will have to be made that affect then of thousands of people. They can't abstain then.

Also same old story with Covid restrictions coming back in, their first reaction is to shout for business supports and PUP payments and when that already been done they disappear avoid any commentary round the restrictions, in case they asked if they agree or disagree with them.

Everything can't be based on calling for a report into XYZ, in real life you make a decision and stand over it.

I still think they'll not field enough candidates in ROI at next election, be unable to form a majority and happily sit in opposition. They have no spine.

Yes the party who's members put their lives on the line more than any other to stand up for nationalists during the conflict, has no spine.  ::)

The troubles are over. This is politics. This generation wouldn't have lasted a wet week in the 80s.

RedHand88

Also. For FG to call SF partitionists is some craic when they've ignored the North for a hundred years!!

Snapchap

Quote from: Louther on December 07, 2021, 11:12:11 AM
The troubles are over. This is politics. This generation wouldn't have lasted a wet week in the 80s.

Oh that's ok then, as long as you know that. I thought maybe you were confused on that detail, since it's not all that long since you posted an insinuation that SF politicians take orders from the IRA Army Council.

Snapchap

Another example of why they'll struggle in power, when real decisions have to be made they hide and sit on the fence.

If it's a simple decision like this, how can they handle bigger calls that will have to be made that affect then of thousands of people. They can't abstain then.

They have no spine

I forgot to ask....you do realise they didn't abstain? How can taking a decision (not to mention a deeply unpopular one), and voting accordingly, be termed as "spineless", as "abstaining" and as "sitting on the fence"?

tiempo

Quote from: Snapchap on December 07, 2021, 02:02:29 PM
Another example of why they'll struggle in power, when real decisions have to be made they hide and sit on the fence.

If it's a simple decision like this, how can they handle bigger calls that will have to be made that affect then of thousands of people. They can't abstain then.

They have no spine

I forgot to ask....you do realise they didn't abstain? How can taking a decision (not to mention a deeply unpopular one), and voting accordingly, be termed as "spineless", as "abstaining" and as "sitting on the fence"?

Do they still use the term fool hoor around Donegal? Think you've caught a live one.

johnnycool

Quote from: Snapchap on December 07, 2021, 10:57:07 AM

No idea what was wrong with the wording. I notice the SDLP also said they were unhappy with it, but voted for it anyway. Until somebody explains exactly what the problem was with it, then it's a bad look for SF to have voted against it.

But to suggest that this will be the hill SF die on? Now come on. I very much doubt that this will still be in the news cycle by tomorrow, let alone being a big enough story to bring down Ireland's largest party.

I get all that, but yes voice your concerns but still vote it through. What they've done by doing what they've done is give the usual suspects a stick to beat them with for no apparent gain..

Snapchap

Quote from: johnnycool on December 07, 2021, 02:21:33 PM

I get all that, but yes voice your concerns but still vote it through. What they've done by doing what they've done is give the usual suspects a stick to beat them with for no apparent gain..

Agreed. Not defending their decision here. In fact, I couldn't disagree with their decision more. Just saying, it's overstating it a tad to think that this story is "the hill the SF will die on". It will be old news in a day or two.

johnnycool

Quote from: Snapchap on December 07, 2021, 02:23:51 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on December 07, 2021, 02:21:33 PM

Agreed. Not defending their decision here. In fact, I couldn't disagree with their decision more. Just saying, it's overstating it a tad to think that this story is "the hill the SF will die on". It will be old news in a day or two.

It probably won't have any electoral impact come May alright, but why do stupid things like this?

It's not being a populist as such, it's just doing the right thing irrespective if the wording ain't great.

tonto1888

Very poor from them

dec

Would the proposed legislation have outlawed hare coursing?

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: dec on December 07, 2021, 03:01:50 PM
Would the proposed legislation have outlawed hare coursing?

I think apart from the 'hunt', any mammal / animal killed by dogs apart from rats & Mice.