Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Serious question.

Would people actually consider the SDLP nationalist?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

6th sam

Quote from: Angelo on February 01, 2021, 08:21:30 PM
Serious question.

Yes.

Any SDLP politicians I know are nationalist and able . SF though the largest party have not been capitalising on the growing nationalist demographic, Alliance has capitalised on this demographic, as the post-troubles generation are attracted by the middle ground. SF biggest problem is avoiding controversy to try and capture more of the middle ground. Hardliners (excluding the tiny percentage who are dissident) are shoo-in and likely to remain loyal , but there is ground to be made closer to the middle . In addition , Hard left ideology brings with it a ceiling to its support, and though attractive to those suffering through poverty, the middle ground are nervous that at a time of uncertainty due to brexit, Covid and potential border poll, a hard left government could be disastrous. SF's only chance of increasing its vote is trying to capture more of the middle ground, and that will involve softening its hard left reputation and being very pro-active in showing genuine remorse and support for victims of the conflict . They are on the verge of power north and south but lack allies, and will have to build up relationships with parties closest to them. MaryLou is impressive in many ways but no other party wants to be in coalition with SF, and that issue will have to be resolved if she is to gain power

Angelo

Quote from: 6th sam on February 01, 2021, 09:08:43 PM
Serious question.

Yes.

Any SDLP politicians I know are nationalist and able . SF though the largest party have not been capitalising on the growing nationalist demographic, Alliance has capitalised on this demographic, as the post-troubles generation are attracted by the middle ground. SF biggest problem is avoiding controversy to try and capture more of the middle ground. Hardliners (excluding the tiny percentage who are dissident) are shoo-in and likely to remain loyal , but there is ground to be made closer to the middle . In addition , Hard left ideology brings with it a ceiling to its support, and though attractive to those suffering through poverty, the middle ground are nervous that at a time of uncertainty due to brexit, Covid and potential border poll, a hard left government could be disastrous. SF's only chance of increasing its vote is trying to capture the middle ground, that will involve softening its hard left reputation and showing genuine remorse for victims of the conflict . They are on the verge of power north and south but lack allies, and will have to build up relationships with parties closest to them, and get the young vote out particularly

SF have the support levels they need, they are not going to win any more ground than they already have. SDLP and Alliance are probably as well subsume each other, they have that kind of middle ground won't rock the board and will support the state institutions without question. Where is an SDLP stronghold for example? The Hume legacy in Derry city? Other than that and some middle class catholic areas in Belfast and Down, the SDLP don't dominate nationalist areas politically.

I find this board strange, seems to be more SDLP supporters on it than SF despite SF being the overwhelmingly majority nationalist party in the O6. Maybe it's just that we have a lot of the comfortable middle class teachers on here.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Serious question.

Would you ever take a big wise up pill

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Angelo on February 01, 2021, 09:18:01 PM
Serious question.

Yes.

Any SDLP politicians I know are nationalist and able . SF though the largest party have not been capitalising on the growing nationalist demographic, Alliance has capitalised on this demographic, as the post-troubles generation are attracted by the middle ground. SF biggest problem is avoiding controversy to try and capture more of the middle ground. Hardliners (excluding the tiny percentage who are dissident) are shoo-in and likely to remain loyal , but there is ground to be made closer to the middle . In addition , Hard left ideology brings with it a ceiling to its support, and though attractive to those suffering through poverty, the middle ground are nervous that at a time of uncertainty due to brexit, Covid and potential border poll, a hard left government could be disastrous. SF's only chance of increasing its vote is trying to capture the middle ground, that will involve softening its hard left reputation and showing genuine remorse for victims of the conflict . They are on the verge of power north and south but lack allies, and will have to build up relationships with parties closest to them, and get the young vote out particularly

SF have the support levels they need, they are not going to win any more ground than they already have. SDLP and Alliance are probably as well subsume each other, they have that kind of middle ground won't rock the board and will support the state institutions without question. Where is an SDLP stronghold for example? The Hume legacy in Derry city? Other than that and some middle class catholic areas in Belfast and Down, the SDLP don't dominate nationalist areas politically.

I find this board strange, seems to be more SDLP supporters on it than SF despite SF being the overwhelmingly majority nationalist party in the O6. Maybe it's just that we have a lot of the comfortable middle class teachers on here.

I think you confuse anti SF with pro SDLP. Sometimes it might mean that ,sometimes not, id say there would be easy 5 k republicans in Derry City who don't vote SF

skeog

Angelo what is middle class?.Would SF be all working class?.Look at husband and wife duo Eoin and Lynn in Dublin what class would they be they earn about 200000 between them do you know if they just take the average industrial wage?.

Angelo

Quote from: skeog on February 01, 2021, 09:51:32 PM
Angelo what is middle class?.Would SF be all working class?.Look at husband and wife duo Eoin and Lynn in Dublin what class would they be they earn about 200000 between them do you know if they just take the average industrial wage?.

A couple making 200k a year would be upper middle class. they could afford a mortgage for a house worth 750k.

skeog

Angelo not many Teachers who are the bedrock of society and to whom we in Ireland owe a deep gratitude earn money like the politicians on the hill and elsewhere so where does your middle class come out off.I know loads of teachers who would descibe themselves as working class.You described them as middle class SDLP do you personally know that.

restorepride

Quote from: skeog on February 01, 2021, 11:01:10 PM
Angelo not many Teachers who are the bedrock of society and to whom we in Ireland owe a deep gratitude earn money like the politicians on the hill and elsewhere so where does your middle class come out off.I know loads of teachers who would descibe themselves as working class.You described them as middle class SDLP do you personally know that.
+1

trailer

Teachers would tend to me more SF voters would they not?
This idea that all SF voters are salt of the earth working classes is fanciful. Lots of middle classes vote for SF. Look at their vote in the South. That's not all people earning the average industrial wage.

6th sam

Serious question.

Yes.

I imagine, There's plenty of SF supporters on this board Angelo. You don't have to be an SDLP supporter to disagree with many of the views and approach you have displayed on various threads

Angelo

Quote from: 6th sam on February 01, 2021, 11:19:25 PM
Serious question.

Yes.

I imagine, There's plenty of SF supporters on this board Angelo. You don't have to be an SDLP supporter to disagree with many of the views and approach you have displayed on various threads

It would be odd for SF supporters to continually criticise SF and say nothing about the SDLP though.

Personally I would have a lot of criticisms of SF too but I am also aware that for me anyway they are the only nationalist party on this whole island. SDLP could be in power for the next 100 years and would make no attempt to forward reunification, they have always be too willing to take the subservient role to bigoted unionism as doing otherwise might damage their own standing.

The SDLP are a middle ground party much the same as Alliance for me with no real identity.

skeog

Angelo how many SF politicians take only the average industrial wage or is it no longer the case.Many working class voters as you describe most SF people i am sure would like to know.We do know all other parties max it to the limit.I left out something about middle class teachers as well.They are the reason our beloved national game flourishes due to their unselfish commitment in coaching pupils all over the island.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Angelo on February 02, 2021, 09:42:52 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on February 01, 2021, 11:19:25 PM
Serious question.

Yes.

It would be odd for SF supporters to continually criticise SF and say nothing about the SDLP though.

Personally I would have a lot of criticisms of SF too but I am also aware that for me anyway they are the only nationalist party on this whole island. SDLP could be in power for the next 100 years and would make no attempt to forward reunification, they have always be too willing to take the subservient role to bigoted unionism as doing otherwise might damage their own standing.

The SDLP are a middle ground party much the same as Alliance for me with no real identity.

Honestly are you taking the piss now?