Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Are SF under police investigation or what then?

Applesisapples

Without getting into the arguments of who organised this funeral, it needs to be noted that there only seems to be outrage when it is a Republican Funeral. I am not condoning the attendance, far from it. Any individual who took it upon themselves to join the cortege is as bad as those throwing house parties. However there have been numerous funerals over the last year where similar has happened without the same furore. I recently observed in passing in my car two funerals near where I live, one at the Catholic Church the other Church of Ireland. Both had many more attendees than the regulations and social distancing was absent. It does not matter if you gather on the roadside or walk behind the coffin it is reckless and a spreading opportunity. I understand that funerals particularly here in Ireland are a culturally significant part of the grieving process, but people need to wise up. Any politician of any hue or rank attending funerals of no relatives should be disciplined.

Angelo

Nearly any funeral I have been at in the past year has had about 50-100 or so at the graveyard. I'd imagine that it's happening everywhere.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Angelo on January 27, 2021, 04:36:02 PM
Nearly any funeral I have been at in the past year has had about 50-100 or so at the graveyard. I'd imagine that it's happening everywhere.

No. I had a friend die last week no wake(cancer), another friends father died yesterday, house private and not sure about service yet(COI). Really strong tradition of wakes here in Derry, relative buried last week too, no wake, 25 in chapel and some others gathered in carpark afterwards but didn't approach immediate family. That is why people are pissed off

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 28, 2021, 08:19:11 AM

No. I had a friend die last week no wake(cancer), another friends father died yesterday, house private and not sure about service yet(COI). Really strong tradition of wakes here in Derry, relative buried last week too, no wake, 25 in chapel and some others gathered in carpark afterwards but didn't approach immediate family. That is why people are pissed off

Nobody is suggesting it is wrong to be pissed off about the funeral. What is wrong is misrepresenting the truth about the funeral, and using the family's grief, in order to take a pop at a party you have a chip on your shoulder about. Stop pretending that your reasoning for jumping up and down about this funeral is down to some compassionate concern for other families who are obeying the regulations. Your sole motivation is the same as your motivation for your every contribution to this board - getting a dig in at SF.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Snapchap on January 28, 2021, 09:30:36 AM

Nobody is suggesting it is wrong to be pissed off about the funeral. What is wrong is misrepresenting the truth about the funeral, and using the family's grief, in order to take a pop at a party you have a chip on your shoulder about. Stop pretending that your reasoning for jumping up and down about this funeral is down to some compassionate concern for other families who are obeying the regulations. Your sole motivation is the same as your motivation for your every contribution to this board - getting a dig in at SF.

My family, my friend, you absolute heartless hoor, now back off please

Snapchap

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 28, 2021, 09:45:51 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on January 28, 2021, 09:30:36 AM

My family, my friend, you absolute heartless hoor, now back off please

You have my sympathies on your loss. I should have said that and I apologise. The point still stands though - this family in Derry are suffering a loss too and you are using their loss and their grief purely to take dishonest pops at a political party you dislike, and when you do that, you can't expect to be taken too seriously when talking about morals.

armaghniac

Rather strange poll for 6 counties, SF become the biggest party by default as the DUP get kicked. 61% of voters think Michelle O'Neill's performance awful, so there isn't exactly a clamour for her to be First Minister.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: armaghniac on February 01, 2021, 04:51:48 PM
Rather strange poll for 6 counties, SF become the biggest party by default as the DUP get kicked. 61% of voters think Michelle O'Neill's performance awful, so there isn't exactly a clamour for her to be First Minister.

Bad pill for SF , just not as bad as how it reads for DUP. I wouldn't be polling up in Creggan anytime soon, bad fallout after funeral and has nothing to do with attendance.

pbat

Jim Allister on Talkback earlier that the First Minister is a shared role and preparing the ground to go after DUP hard and tell voters not to buy into the DUP line you must vote for us to keep Them'uns out. Next Mays assembly elections will be interesting, the Shinners need to insure they are not postponed.

armaghniac

Quote from: pbat on February 01, 2021, 05:48:43 PM
Jim Allister on Talkback earlier that the First Minister is a shared role and preparing the ground to go after DUP hard and tell voters not to buy into the DUP line you must vote for us to keep Them'uns out. Next Mays assembly elections will be interesting, the Shinners need to insure they are not postponed.

I'd say the shared nature of it will become a lot more evident after the DUP fall into second place.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

pbat

Exactly, that's the language Jim was using today to start softening the ground.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

JohnDenver

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 01, 2021, 05:42:38 PM

Bad pill for SF , just not as bad as how it reads for DUP. I wouldn't be polling up in Creggan anytime soon, bad fallout after funeral and has nothing to do with attendance.

What's the story with this? saw something in the irish news today about it?

Angelo

Quote from: armaghniac on February 01, 2021, 04:51:48 PM

Absolutely nothing changes in the Assembly elections. Stormont is an utterly dysfunctional system irrespective on who is in charge. A SF, Alliance, SDLP gov would see some positive impacts on society as a whole without the dinosaur unionist vetoing anything productive.

But it can't happen. Stormont is not meant to be effective, it has limited powers from Westminister and is only is situ to stop a sectarian divide where one side gets in power. The chaps who moan and moan about it might have the penny drop about it someday.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL