Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

I heard one of the Stack's on GMU this morning. I couldn't make a lot of sense out of what he was saying, nor could I understand what exactly it was that he wanted. In essence the Garda have all the names from various sources but he just wants Adams to tell them? Why? What purpose would it serve? Then we had the Quinn family trying to tie Adams and Conor Murphy into that murder. SF are there own worst enemies at times but I wonder what or who motivates these families to speak out. But as long as ex combatants are there it will be exploited by other parties. That Dunphy piece should be compulsory viewing of other political parties. Get on with the bread and butter stop scoring points on the past. Both jurisdictions on this island were born out of violence and the threat of violence. Kettle, pot, black.

Rossfan

Unless the individual(s) who pulled the trigger on Mr Stack, or those who ordered them to make a confession there obviously isn't enough evidence for the Gardai/DPP to bring charges against anyone.
I'm sure informers and others have long since told the Gardai who was involved but unless they saw it happen and give evidence in Court.........
Are the Stacks members of any political party I wonder?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

vallankumous

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 09, 2016, 12:04:50 PM
I heard one of the Stack's on GMU this morning. I couldn't make a lot of sense out of what he was saying, nor could I understand what exactly it was that he wanted. In essence the Garda have all the names from various sources but he just wants Adams to tell them? Why? What purpose would it serve? Then we had the Quinn family trying to tie Adams and Conor Murphy into that murder. SF are there own worst enemies at times but I wonder what or who motivates these families to speak out. But as long as ex combatants are there it will be exploited by other parties. That Dunphy piece should be compulsory viewing of other political parties. Get on with the bread and butter stop scoring points on the past. Both jurisdictions on this island were born out of violence and the threat of violence. Kettle, pot, black.

This is key to Irish politics.
Once politicians start deciding who is and who isn't worthy of public office democracy is dead. We have seen this time and time again but thankfully it has never been accepted in Ireland. It's also dangerous when politicians hold public trials while we have a judiciary system in place to deal with these things. I'm a big fan of Dail Privilege and people putting trust in elected reps to highlight causes and injustice but there is a line that can be crossed. There seems to be little or no Gardaí or DPP involvement with Adams in any of these cases. Do we not have faith in the Judiciary system or are we trying to by pass it? That should be the scariest thing about all this.

Adams is a liar about many things, no more or no less than most leading politicians. That is politics, it is accepted. However, when it comes to criminality and justice there is a system in place. The constant trial in public of Adams is threat to democracy. The 20 year trial by mainstream politicians and media without any questions makes me wonder if we have not already passed that point. If Adams or other politicians stand down for these reasons we will have very concentrated types of political figures in power.

oliverkelly

Quote from: AQMP on December 09, 2016, 01:26:02 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 09, 2016, 12:12:28 PM
Unless the individual(s) who pulled the trigger on Mr Stack, or those who ordered them to make a confession there obviously isn't enough evidence for the Gardai/DPP to bring charges against anyone.
I'm sure informers and others have long since told the Gardai who was involved but unless they saw it happen and give evidence in Court.........

Wasn't Ellis in clink at the time of the shooting?

Doesn't mean he wasn't involved in organising it. Wayne Dundon is currently serving life for murder and he was locked up at the time the murder took place. The info floating about these things is never too far wrong so I personally have no doubt that Ellis and Ferris were involved.

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on December 08, 2016, 10:00:49 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on December 08, 2016, 09:25:07 PM
Not as many shinners as usual here to tell everyone to move on, nothing to see. Are they getting disillusioned or just lazy?

FoxCommander always shows up to defend Gerry. But then he denies it afterwards.  ;D

No - My point was that if Adams would have been very foolish to get involved in any attempts to provide information or broker any meetings on behalf of the stacks.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Applesisapples

Quote from: oliverkelly on December 09, 2016, 01:36:19 PM

Doesn't mean he wasn't involved in organising it. Wayne Dundon is currently serving life for murder and he was locked up at the time the murder took place. The info floating about these things is never too far wrong so I personally have no doubt that Ellis and Ferris were involved.
You need to be careful with the accusations, theres no Dail privilege on this board.

macdanger2

Quote from: vallankumous on December 09, 2016, 01:19:46 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 09, 2016, 12:04:50 PM

This is key to Irish politics.
Once politicians start deciding who is and who isn't worthy of public office democracy is dead. We have seen this time and time again but thankfully it has never been accepted in Ireland. It's also dangerous when politicians hold public trials while we have a judiciary system in place to deal with these things. I'm a big fan of Dail Privilege and people putting trust in elected reps to highlight causes and injustice but there is a line that can be crossed. There seems to be little or no Gardaí or DPP involvement with Adams in any of these cases. Do we not have faith in the Judiciary system or are we trying to by pass it? That should be the scariest thing about all this.

Adams is a liar about many things, no more or no less than most leading politicians. That is politics, it is accepted. However, when it comes to criminality and justice there is a system in place. The constant trial in public of Adams is threat to democracy. The 20 year trial by mainstream politicians and media without any questions makes me wonder if we have not already passed that point. If Adams or other politicians stand down for these reasons we will have very concentrated types of political figures in power.

Who is accusing Adams of breaking the law?

vallankumous

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 09, 2016, 02:34:23 PM

I'm not talking about Adams breaking any laws. I'm talking about the lack of urgency from the Gardaí. If this lack of urgency is genuine then the issue is the politicians and media holding a 20 year public trial. That in itself is a dangerous thing for democracy. If there should be urgency then something much more sinister is at play within our judicial system.

macdanger2

Quote from: vallankumous on December 09, 2016, 02:40:35 PM

I'm not talking about Adams breaking any laws. I'm talking about the lack of urgency from the Gardaí. If this lack of urgency is genuine then the issue is the politicians and media holding a 20 year public trial. That in itself is a dangerous thing for democracy. If there should be urgency then something much more sinister is at play within our judicial system.

So if he isn't being accused of breaking the law, why would the Gardaí be involved??

vallankumous

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 09, 2016, 03:01:06 PM

So if he isn't being accused of breaking the law, why would the Gardaí be involved??

I'm surprised you need this explained.

Sometimes when investigating murder the Gardaí might want to talk to someone that might have information they could use in their investigation.
Those people are not guilty of a crime but they might have information relating to the crime.

heffo

Quote from: vallankumous on December 09, 2016, 02:40:35 PM

Might he be a person of interest to their inquiries?

Rossfan

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 09, 2016, 02:06:32 PM
Quote from: oliverkelly on December 09, 2016, 01:36:19 PM

You need to be careful with the accusations, theres no Dail privilege on this board.
You would indeed.

And I know who you are Oliver ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Quote from: vallankumous on December 09, 2016, 03:11:38 PM

I'm surprised you need this explained.

Sometimes when investigating murder the Gardaí might want to talk to someone that might have information they could use in their investigation.
Those people are not guilty of a crime but they might have information relating to the crime.

So are you saying Adams should be taken in and questioned about what he knows? Or charged with witholding information?

vallankumous

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 09, 2016, 03:30:18 PM

So are you saying Adams should be taken in and questioned about what he knows? Or charged with witholding information?

No. I'm not saying that.
I still have faith in the Gardaí and their lack of action here (and other things) makes me think that Adams is not a person of interest in the case.

I just think it's worrying that some politicians seem to have lost that faith or else think the Gardaí are incompetent. Either that or they are by passing the Gardaí for other reasons.

I've seen this play out with Jean McConville. Eventually the PSNi took Adams in and held him. They then released him. I questioned if that was police acting under pressure by politicians. If it was it was a terrible day for justice in Ireland. Now the same thing might happen here. If it does then I'll wait to see the next action. If Adams is arrested and released it will make me think the Gardaí are acting under political pressure. Right now they are not which I think is good. However, that only raises more question about the approach of the politicians.

Syferus