Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

What would a vote for SF actaully achieve in the westminster election?

Other than generate the MP salary/expenses for the SF Machine and reduce the total number of seats a Tory led coalition would need to win to gain a majority that is.

Kidder81

Quote from: topcuppla on April 29, 2015, 03:16:20 PM
Quote from: naka on April 16, 2015, 08:57:14 PM
Chatting to a few shinners in newry
They are somewhat surprised at the positive response that Justin mc nutty has been getting
They can't see him winning but they feel that it's the first time in a while that the public have started asking real questions.
Tbf it can only be a good thing for all concerned.

I am not - least the man will take his seat!

He gets some trolling from Shinnerbots on his Twitter timeline.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Kidder81 on April 29, 2015, 10:58:25 PM
They are somewhat surprised at the positive response that Justin mc nutty has been getting
They can't see him winning but they feel that it's the first time in a while that the public have started asking real questions.

That's one of their fortes. I'd love to see him get in or at the very least rattle their cage.
"Stercus accidit"

Nigel White

He's a complete carpetbagger if ever there was one. No political experience whatsoever. Shit the nest and pulled out of a Destination Newry candidates debate. He was about the 6 th choice for the SDLP with Benny Tierney being the number 1. Unlike The Adder Party candidate Mr S Baldrick they are going to fight this election on personalities not issues

armaghniac

Quote from: Nigel White on April 29, 2015, 11:33:26 PM
He's a complete carpetbagger if ever there was one. No political experience whatsoever. Shit the nest and pulled out of a Destination Newry candidates debate. He was about the 6 th choice for the SDLP with Benny Tierney being the number 1. Unlike The Adder Party candidate Mr S Baldrick they are going to fight this election on personalities not issues

What issues are there in a Westminster election? Especially as one party is not going to go there and take part in votes and so on.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Does it really matter whether the 6 Cos MPs take seats or not.
18 sideshow reps among 640 loopers going "hee haw" all day long..,... What's the point?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maguire01

Quote from: Rossfan on April 30, 2015, 12:14:07 AM
18 sideshow reps among 640 loopers going "hee haw" all day long..,... What's the point?
What's the point in standing for election then?

It may well matter on this occasion, depending on how tight the numbers are, but even if you have no influence on the formation of the government, you should still be representing your constituents.

Owenmoresider

In the not too distant past a Government was brought down by a single vote there, and the potential outcome of this election may result in a similar prospect of a unstable majority. SF's absence will make it a little easier though for forming a Government, and sure it'll let them maintain their favourite role of playing the victim whining about "Tory cuts" ad nauseum...

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Sandy Hill on April 29, 2015, 11:15:43 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on April 29, 2015, 10:58:25 PM

That's one of their fortes. I'd love to see him get in or at the very least rattle their cage.
Indeed, the Shinnerbots on social media are a toxic mixture of the utterly deluded, the smug arrogant true believers and the downright vile. Pose any threat to their success and the smears and insults will soon follow.

topcuppla

SNP with 20 or so MP's could be running the show, I think there is a hell of a point, I hope Sinn Fein's vote is decimated, a party for the people doing absolutely everything to do nothing for the people.

Kidder81

Quote from: Nigel White on April 29, 2015, 11:33:26 PM

Who to believe ?

The SDLP's Justin McNulty has issued a fresh challenge to Sinn Fein's Mickey Brady to come and debate him next Tuesday evening in advance of the Polling Day next Thursday.

Mr McNulty explained, 'I and other candidates were invited to take part in a pre-election debate hosted by Destination Newry a number of weeks ago and we agreed to take part on the basis that the event was impartial and had an experienced independent chair.   We heard nothing until Monday night when we were advised that the date had been fixed for Thursday evening.  We were asked to confirm on Tuesday our availability but we explained that this date did not suit as I have other commitments.  I am hosting a major cross border event on Thursday aimed at bring jobs and investment to Newry and Armagh.  However I offered an alternative date with the same conditions, next Tuesday, just 48 hours before polling but others refused.'

'I am deeply disappointed that Destination Newry called off the debate and even more disappointed that they failed to release the full facts as to why they cancelled the debate.  In case there is any doubt, I am up for the debate and always have been, I am running from no one, I've never ran from anything in my life.  I'm running FOR the people of Newry and Armagh.'

'The debate organisers may have consulted with other candidates about a selection of dates, but they didn't consult me or my team.  I think it is completely disingenuous of them to suggest otherwise.  I am confident in my campaign and the message I am taking to the door steps.  Whilst others have sought to bring negativity to this campaign I have concentrated on offering the people of Newry and Armagh something positive and something different.'

'The people are telling me time and time again on the door step they want a real MP, they want an MP who will go to Westminster and take their seat. They want an MP who will fight for them on the issues which matter. The momentum in this campaign, I believe is building strongly behind me and other candidates and their teams are fully aware of this and trying to create distractions.  I won't be distracted; I will be there for the people of Newry and Armagh.'

DuffleKing

If the North MPs organised themselves into a voting bloc, 18 MPs could be very influential

pearseog

Quote from: topcuppla on April 30, 2015, 08:37:50 AM

SNP with 20 or so MP's could be running the show, I think there is a hell of a point, I hope Sinn Fein's vote is decimated, a party for the people doing absolutely everything to do nothing for the people.

What polls are you reading putting the SNP on 20?

Denn Forever

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 30, 2015, 09:45:29 AM

If the North MPs organised themselves into a voting bloc, 18 MPs could be very influential

Looking at Stormont, I don't think they could  hold together.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rossfan

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 30, 2015, 10:26:53 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on April 30, 2015, 09:45:29 AM

Looking at Stormont, I don't think they could  hold together.
Only if getting grants was involved...
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM