Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulick

No, the point is:
1. none of you could really give a flying f**k about Jean McConville really. You might pretend different but the fact you only see fit to drag her out of the grave when Denis O'Brien tells you is proof enough of that.
2. her killing/murder/execution was politically motivated in a time of conflict. Now you can split hairs over circumstances and terms such as 'war crimes' but the fact is those who killed her were not random bloodthirsty murderers but were acting with a clear sense of purpose and in all likelihood detested the act and themselves for what they felt they had to do.
3. both states on this island where build on similar acts. Nasty horrible things happen in war/conflict and the vast majority of people here recognise that. For all that feigned anger and disgust poured out on social media and Internet forums, you really know there was nothing really that outlandish about what Adams said.

charlieTully

Quote from: Ulick on April 08, 2015, 08:55:21 PM
No, the point is:
1. none of you could really give a flying f**k about Jean McConville really. You might pretend different but the fact you only see fit to drag her out of the grave when Denis O'Brien tells you is proof enough of that.
2. her killing/murder/execution was politically motivated in a time of conflict. Now you can split hairs over circumstances and terms such as 'war crimes' but the fact is those who killed her were not random bloodthirsty murderers but were acting with a clear sense of purpose and in all likelihood detested the act and themselves for what they felt they had to do.
3. both states on this island where build on similar acts. Nasty horrible things happen in war/conflict and the vast majority of people here recognise that. For all that feigned anger and disgust poured out on social media and Internet forums, you really know there was nothing really that outlandish about what Adams said.

+1.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: trileacman on April 08, 2015, 05:32:48 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 08, 2015, 05:15:38 PM
Quote from: trileacman on April 08, 2015, 05:11:21 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 07, 2015, 11:08:20 PM
Quote from: trileacman on April 07, 2015, 10:26:04 PM
Quote from: Ulick on April 07, 2015, 01:03:46 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 07, 2015, 10:10:55 AM
Quote from: Ulick on April 07, 2015, 08:17:12 AM
You can't have it both ways lads. The McConville family say Adams has information on her because Brendan Hughes and Dolores Price said that as a senior member of the IRA in Belfast he would have be aware of what's going on. However the same two people also said she was shot for being an informer after previously being warned. So either they're right, she was an informer and yes in a war situation any side would have to do the same and execute her, or they're wrong, and the family have no evidence to be connecting Adams to this.
Well no actually, it's quite possible that they could be right on one count and wrong on the other. And either way, if it was a war, it's still a war crime, is it not?

Shooting an informer/spy during a war is a 'war crime'? No I wouldn't consider that a war crime.

So do you chalk down the death of the hunger strikers as "something that happens in war"?
Why
Would you not?
No. I wouldn't deem their deaths as an acceptable action.
Fair enough.
They volunteered for the hunger strike and had their reasons- war and the heightened tensions being a significant contributory factor.
So in that regard Id say their deaths highly regrettable -but not so much unacceptable.

I think their deaths had a positive influence in the following years imo.

But that's just one opinion. Id expect the polar opposite and more exist.
Without trawling through all the events of the troubles here but would it be fair to say you consider the death of Pat Finucane and those men on Bloody Sunday as "regrettable but not unacceptable".

I'm not WUMing here, I'm just interested where you draw the line.
I suppose since ceasefire . Everything is now in the past. All events , violence, deaths etc were terrible on both sides but that's war and violent conflict for you.

Maybe it could be summed up by saying ' the past is in the past' and we've drawn a line under it. I don't think any positives can be obtained from trawling through the dark old past - esp as there's no proof or evidence or even appetite to dredge it up.

I'd be a sympathizer of Finnucane and hunger strikers. But what can be done. All regrettable and in the past.

trileacman

Quote from: Ulick on April 08, 2015, 08:55:21 PM
No, the point is:

I think you pulled that out of your ass (how would you know what they felt lest you were involved) but if it is then I think even less of those who took her away. To know how morally depraved your actions were but to carry it through anyway is worse than just doing it.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

deiseach

On Planet Shinner, a politically motivated killing must not be used for political purposes. Nasty and stupid.

deiseach

Again, when I think about it, to see the movement that dragged out the hunger strikes so they could make political hay objecting to people making political hay out of the fate of those who were disappeared (and let us not forget that for an Irish Catholic to deny someone the chance to bury their dead is the most grievous insult of them all) . . . I don't which is worse, that they manage to keep a straight face when peddling their bullshit or the possibility that they actually believe their own bullshit.

Keyser soze

Quote from: deiseach on April 09, 2015, 07:55:02 AM
On Planet Shinner, a politically motivated killing must not be used for political purposes. Nasty and stupid.

On planet Deiseach an event which occurred 40 years ago during a war can be germane in a political argument today.

There wasnt a single sinner in the republic, including you, who gave one flying f*** about Jean McConville until Sinn Fein started getting a share of the votes. And you have the effrontery to talk about bullshit.

Sickening hypocrites.

Rossfan

Quote from: Keyser soze on April 09, 2015, 11:07:10 AM

There wasnt a single sinner in the republic, including you, who gave one flying f*** about Jean McConville until Sinn Fein started getting a share of the votes. And you have the effrontery to talk about bullshit.

So we should pretend she never existed and nothing untoward happened to her???.
And do the same about Pat Finucane, Rosemary Nelson and a few thousand other non combatants across all spectrums???
I thought SF wanted a Truth and Reconciliation body??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

deiseach

Quote from: Keyser soze on April 09, 2015, 11:07:10 AM
On planet Deiseach an event which occurred 40 years ago during a war can be germane in a political argument today.

Yeah, it absolutely is relevant today. We're having constant discussions about how to treat an event that took place 99 years ago. That's real politics, bucko. If you can't stand the heat, piss off.

deiseach

Quote from: Rossfan on April 09, 2015, 11:18:13 AM
So we should pretend she never existed and nothing untoward happened to her???.
And do the same about Pat Finucane, Rosemary Nelson and a few thousand other non combatants across all spectrums???
I thought SF wanted a Truth and Reconciliation body??

The laughable thing is that they can't see how they are mirror images of the kind of weasels who write for the Daily Heil or the Torygraph. Our guys execute, your guys murder.

Rossfan

Some of them get very nasty when people criticise them.
Obviously those are not used to anyone answering them back  :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

deiseach

And there was me about to tell them to get their f***ing shinebox. Probably safer not to.

deiseach

This is the last 'and by the way' I'm going to do in this particular round, but I can't resist noting that the logic of this particular strain of Shinner revisionism means we can look forward to them refraining from referring to Fine Gael supporters as Blueshirts. Can't use 80+ year old insults against them!

Hardy

Quote from: deiseach on April 09, 2015, 12:04:58 PM
This is the last 'and by the way' I'm going to do in this particular round, but I can't resist noting that the logic of this particular strain of Shinner revisionism means we can look forward to them refraining from referring to Fine Gael supporters as Blueshirts. Can't use 80+ year old insults against them!

Failing that, they should be required to allow "that shouldn't have happened" as a valid washing of hands on the part of said FG supporters.

AZOffaly

Quote from: foxcommander on April 08, 2015, 05:00:44 PM
Quote from: deiseach on April 08, 2015, 09:24:52 AM
Christ's sake, the more I think about it . . . will the Shinner need to gloss over the IRA's atrocities now mean that the victims of Bloody Sunday and Aidan McAnespie and Pat Finucane and Rosemary Nelson and Majella O'Hare and God knows how many others will have to be written off as casualties of war? Screw you, Shinner scum, and the horse you rode in on.

I love how free staters give lessons on the north...it's amazing what they seem to learn by watching a couple of Prime Time documentaries.

And I love how lads like yourself give us lessons in how to run the country, or should I say the Free State. Sauce for the goose and all that.