Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

No, I am not against a utility for water, and I am not against those who would abuse the provision of such a resource being hammered financially for the extravagance.

I am against Irish Water (for reasons heretofore expressed), and I am against the the ordinary person being saddled with the bill for such a provision (also for reasons heretofore expressed).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

trileacman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 17, 2014, 03:53:08 PM
No, I am not against a utility for water, and I am not against those who would abuse the provision of such a resource being hammered financially for the extravagance.

I am against Irish Water (for reasons heretofore expressed), and I am against the the ordinary person being saddled with the bill for such a provision (also for reasons heretofore expressed).

That's a clear contradiction.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Minder

Just out of curiosity, and you hear it from people in political life all the time now, who are these "ordinary" people ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

muppet

Quote from: Minder on October 17, 2014, 08:21:16 PM
Just out of curiosity, and you hear it from people in political life all the time now, who are these "ordinary" people ?

They are the most unfortunate people who can neither speak nor even write to a newspaper, but fortunately they have loads of people who claim to speak for them.

Not as many as 'the most vulnerable in society' though.
MWWSI 2017

trileacman

Quote from: muppet on October 18, 2014, 12:50:06 AM

They are the most unfortunate people who can neither speak nor even write to a newspaper, but fortunately they have loads of people who claim to speak for them.

And clearly, completely unconnected to the democratic process that elected the current government and the ones previous.

muppet

Quote from: trileacman on October 18, 2014, 01:01:09 AM
Quote from: muppet on October 18, 2014, 12:50:06 AM

And clearly, completely unconnected to the democratic process that elected the current government and the ones previous.

Yes, but you wouldn't know that.

Usually it is the future Government who speaks most on their behalves, until they actually get into Government.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: trileacman on October 17, 2014, 07:55:59 PM

Bullshit: we pay enough general taxation, if the incompetents in power prove pathetically incapable of the provision of potable water the ordinary joe should not have to fork out for that dereliction of duty. Successive administrations have presided over an increasingly leaky network. 

Why should an efficient water utility be beyond the ken of capable and comprehensive governance?

Maguire01

Quote from: Ulick on October 10, 2014, 09:33:47 AM
Some craic this Sinn Féin thread, especially the first few pages. Imagine where they'd be now if they'd got rid of that liability Adams.
Well they wouldn't have their two best prospects - McDonald and Doherty - trying to defend things they could know nothing about.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 21, 2014, 08:19:37 PM
Quote from: Ulick on October 10, 2014, 09:33:47 AM
Some craic this Sinn Féin thread, especially the first few pages. Imagine where they'd be now if they'd got rid of that liability Adams.
Well they wouldn't have their two best prospects - McDonald and Doherty - trying to defend things they could know nothing about.
I'd say you are right there!

But boy it's quite ironic ( you coming out with that)!

trileacman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 18, 2014, 12:47:25 PM

Bullshit: we pay enough general taxation, if the incompetents in power prove pathetically incapable of the provision of potable water the ordinary joe should not have to fork out for that dereliction of duty. Successive administrations have presided over an increasingly leaky network. 

Why should an efficient water utility be beyond the ken of capable and comprehensive governance?

Because no-one had to pay for one. If you don't pay road tax you can hardly complain about the state of the road. If you don't pay a TV licence (as I do) you can hardly complain about the coverage or range of transmission. If you get your water for free you can't really turn round and say that the free service you are provided with isn't up to your satisfaction.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 18, 2014, 12:47:25 PM

How much do you think your first Irish water bill will be ?

I mean you, personally.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: trileacman on October 21, 2014, 11:29:46 PM
Because no-one had to pay for one. If you don't pay road tax you can hardly complain about the state of the road. If you don't pay a TV licence (as I do) you can hardly complain about the coverage or range of transmission. If you get your water for free you can't really turn round and say that the free service you are provided with isn't up to your satisfaction.

Been here before, yawn...

Water is an essential, tarmac (asphalt, or whatever) on the road most certainly is not, and neither is television.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on October 21, 2014, 11:38:03 PM

I mean you, personally.

That's not my point, but it'll be somewhere around the €45 mark, apparently.

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 21, 2014, 11:42:42 PM
Quote from: trileacman on October 21, 2014, 11:29:46 PM

Been here before, yawn...

Water is an essential, tarmac (asphalt, or whatever) on the road most certainly is not, and neither is television.

This is reasonably dealt with by giving 30,000 litres free and further 21,000 litres free for every child.
MWWSI 2017

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 21, 2014, 11:47:58 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on October 21, 2014, 11:38:03 PM

I mean you, personally.

That's not my point, but it'll be somewhere around the €45 mark, apparently.

Apparently ?

Will you personally have to pay 45euros to Irish Water or not ?