Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 12, 2014, 04:00:46 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 12, 2014, 03:10:26 PM
This is after apologising for being OTT.  ;D

Exhibit A: how the kleptocratic oligarchs can get so cleanly away with it! :P

Would plutocracy be a better fit?

And the ECB were the real kleptocrats. But I really don't get why people organise protests 4 years after the event. Brian Lenihan and his useless Dept. of Finance people signed all this stuff away.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

There's a massive shift afoot in the Western world to denude the public framework of assets, and we're being sleep-walked into it, to varying degrees.The conditions,  as laid down on this State as part of the package,  are component parts. Brian Lenihan (RIP) was hopelessly incompetent.  We already have a de facto plutocracy - the strings that Denis O'Brien, for example, has his mitts on should shame the London Berlin Philharmonic into serious reappraisal. :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

armaghniac

When you get into hock you open the door to the kleptocrats and plutocrats. Those who borrow money and didn't pay it back opened the door for this kind of thing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 12, 2014, 04:19:06 PM
There's a massive shift afoot in the Western world to denude the public framework of assets, and we're being sleep-walked into it, to varying degrees.The conditions,  as laid down on this State as part of the package,  are component parts. Brian Lenihan (RIP) was hopelessly incompetent.  We already have a de facto plutocracy - the strings that Denis O'Brien, for example, has his mitts on should shame the London Berlin Philharmonic into serious reappraisal. :P

We are selling assets to pay for the bank guarantee.

I am not bothered who owns them tbh as long as they are run remotely efficiently and pay their way fairly. The efficiency part is usually the public ownership iceberg, while the pay their way fairly is often where the private ownership flounders. There has to be a happy medium.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: armaghniac on October 12, 2014, 04:42:12 PM
When you get into hock you open the door to the kleptocrats and plutocrats. Those who borrow money and didn't pay it back opened the door for this kind of thing.

See Iceland's very recent history on how exactly to queer that particular pitch. It takes political balls and know-how though, which takes us back to the FF/FG/Lab axis, and the criminally distinct lack thereof.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on October 12, 2014, 04:46:52 PM

I am not bothered who owns them...

How convenient for the neocons, but it did not and does not have to be that way!

Rather unfortunately,  we have almost universally been conditioned to accept this an inescapable fait accompli. You're happy, it seems, not only to pay a not insignificant income tax, but also to pay on top of that for basic living necessities? And I do not trust this Administration when they say there are no plans to privatise - it's at the contemporary minister's whim. Check the smallish print.

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 12, 2014, 05:05:03 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 12, 2014, 04:46:52 PM

I am not bothered who owns them...

How convenient for the neocons, but it did not and does not have to be that way!

Rather unfortunately,  we have almost universally been conditioned to accept this an inescapable fait accompli. You're happy, it seems, not only to pay a not insignificant income tax, but also to pay on top of that for basic living necessities? And I do not trust this Administration when they say there are no plans to privatise - it's at the contemporary minister's whim. Check the smallish print.

Are you calling me a neocon? Seriously?

At the moment I pay for everyone's water. When the water charges come in, I won't pay for everyone's water. I will just pay for my family.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on October 12, 2014, 08:24:49 PM

At the moment I pay for everyone's water. When the water charges come in, I won't pay for everyone's water. I will just pay for my family.

No no, the powers that be, wherever they be.

Ah, but this is a supplementary tax with no commensurate reduction in what you currently pay for everyone's water. Therefore you'll be paying twice, and not a problem for you personally perhaps, but it will be a real difficulty for plenty of folk.

What's general taxation for if it doesn't cover the basic necessities of life? Inordinate and extragavant use of water is a different issue, and something that could be penalised appropriately (with the new metering infrastructure), but the day-to-day volume should not be an extra cost.

Maguire01

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 12, 2014, 10:13:30 PM

Ah, but this is a supplementary tax with no commensurate reduction in what you currently pay for everyone's water. Therefore you'll be paying twice, and not a problem for you personally perhaps, but it will be a real difficulty for plenty of folk.

What's general taxation for if it doesn't cover the basic necessities of life?
Inordinate and extragavant use of water is a different issue, and something that could be penalised appropriately (with the new metering infrastructure), but the day-to-day volume should not be an extra cost.
Do you think everyone should be given food, clothes and a home from general taxation too? That's a ridiculous argument.

And the reason there's no commensurate reduction in other taxes is because the country is trying to close a deficit.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 12, 2014, 10:43:45 PM

Inordinate and extragavant use of water is a different issue, and something that could be penalised appropriately (with the new metering infrastructure), but the day-to-day volume should not be an extra cost.
Do you think everyone should be given food, clothes and a home from general taxation too? That's a ridiculous argument.

And the reason there's no commensurate reduction in other taxes is because the country is trying to close a deficit.

Are you being intentionally thick? Does it need to be spelled out for you that 'basic necessities' in this context relates to infrastructural necessities? Rhetorical question it would seem, and instead of pathetic straw men perhaps address the fundamental -- what's general taxation for then?

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 12, 2014, 10:51:58 PM

Are you being intentionally thick? Does it need to be spelled out for you that 'basic necessities' in this context relates to infrastructural necessities? Rhetorical question it would seem, and instead of pathetic straw men perhaps address the fundamental -- what's general taxation for then?

It is to take money from the most productive in society, to pay for for the most vulnerable in society, so they can re-elect the most useless in society.

PS the above refers to all the parties.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 12, 2014, 10:51:58 PM

What about other utilities then? Electricity?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 13, 2014, 07:01:52 AM

You said it: 'utility'. We don't perish necessarily, deprived of a utility such as electricity.

Water is more than a utility, it's an absolute necessity.

Puckoon

Water delivered to your house is a Utility. Access to water is a necessity.

Maguire01

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 13, 2014, 10:22:46 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 13, 2014, 07:01:52 AM

You said it: 'utility'. We don't perish necessarily, deprived of a utility such as electricity.

Water is more than a utility, it's an absolute necessity.
Eh? Water provision most definitely falls under utilities.