Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 24, 2014, 01:43:40 PM
something doesn't add up with the number of seats being distributed between the parties. Hardly 1% of a difference between SF and DUP in votes cast, but nearly 30 seats difference between them. How does that work?

Yeah noticed that. SF actually have more FPs at the moment?

armaghniac

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 24, 2014, 01:43:40 PM
something doesn't add up with the number of seats being distributed between the parties. Hardly 1% of a difference between SF and DUP in votes cast, but nearly 30 seats difference between them. How does that work?

Do all the seats have the same quote? Turnout can vary across regions also.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Myles Na G.

at the moment, Ulster Unionists have 40,000 odd votes fewer than SF, but have two more seats. SF also have more votes than DUP, but considerably fewer seats. Just saying, like. ???

imtommygunn

Applesisapples

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 24, 2014, 02:48:10 PM
at the moment, Ulster Unionists have 40,000 odd votes fewer than SF, but have two more seats. SF also have more votes than DUP, but considerably fewer seats. Just saying, like. ???
Unionists will transfer to each other no matter how they perceive the DUP, PUP etc... As will most republicans to the SDLP. Many SDLP voters would rather transfer to Alliance or unionists. IMO

lawnseed

A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Saffrongael

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 24, 2014, 03:41:57 PM
Unionists will transfer to each other no matter how they perceive the DUP, PUP etc... As will most republicans to the SDLP. Many SDLP voters would rather transfer to Alliance or unionists. IMO

Not true

@MickFealty Fascinating that @GerryAdamsSF has only now admitted SF have been campaigning actively against a second nationalist seat in the #EP2014?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Applesisapples

Quote from: Saffrongael on May 24, 2014, 06:22:29 PM

Not true

@MickFealty Fascinating that @GerryAdamsSF has only now admitted SF have been campaigning actively against a second nationalist seat in the #EP2014?
We'll if that's true both nationalist parties are a disgrace. We could learn a bit form unionists. #unity

Saffrongael

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 24, 2014, 06:26:17 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on May 24, 2014, 06:22:29 PM

Not true

We'll if that's true both nationalist parties are a disgrace. We could learn a bit form unionists. #unity

Worst combined SF/SDLP % vote since IRA ceasfire.

Probably be branded an enemy of peace or a dissident for posting the above stat.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Farrandeelin

SF have 1 elected councillor in Mayo. Poised to take 2 more, with a very outside chance of a seat in the Ballina area.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

foxcommander

I'm sure a good unionist like yourself has wet his butchers apron underpants in joy.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Nally Stand

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 09, 2014, 07:17:26 AM
Nail on the head there. The Shinners missed a huge chance - they only had to shut the fcuk up for 3 or 4 days and wait until their leader was released and their journey from the political wilderness to mainstream political party would've been complete. Instead, Marty threw a tantrum and set them back about 20 years.
Like I said Myles ... Top drawer political analysis!!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 25, 2014, 09:17:10 AM
Nail on the head there. The Shinners missed a huge chance - they only had to shut the fcuk up for 3 or 4 days and wait until their leader was released and their journey from the political wilderness to mainstream political party would've been complete. Instead, Marty threw a tantrum and set them back about 20 years.
The Shinners will do okay in the south, but given the circumstances that have prevailed there over the past few years, that's no huge achievement. The number of independents picking up seats in that jurisdiction illustrates the level of disillusionment with the mainstream parties. Their vote in the north has held up, no better than that. SF got the biggest share of the vote and I've no doubt that they will repeat that achievement in Stormont elections sooner or later. But so what? Marty and Peter get to swap job titles? The SF 'project' is about achieving a united Ireland and on that score they seem to be doing less well. The unionist vote seems as strong as ever and it's a percentage of these people that SF have to win over if unity is to be achieved. There's no sign of that shift happening and Marty's melt down a few weeks ago won't have helped. It certainly dissuaded this light green nationalist from voting SF this time around, so I'd imagine the effect on unionists was even more marked. How many years has it set the SF project back? I'll stick with about 20 but I'm open to a spot of haggling.  ;)

Nally Stand

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 25, 2014, 09:58:44 AM
The Shinners will do okay in the south, but given the circumstances that have prevailed there over the past few years, that's no huge achievement. The number of independents picking up seats in that jurisdiction illustrates the level of disillusionment with the mainstream parties. Their vote in the north has held up, no better than that. SF got the biggest share of the vote and I've no doubt that they will repeat that achievement in Stormont elections sooner or later. But so what? Marty and Peter get to swap job titles? The SF 'project' is about achieving a united Ireland and on that score they seem to be doing less well. The unionist vote seems as strong as ever and it's a percentage of these people that SF have to win over if unity is to be achieved. There's no sign of that shift happening and Marty's melt down a few weeks ago won't have helped. It certainly dissuaded this light green nationalist from voting SF this time around, so I'd imagine the effect on unionists was even more marked. How many years has it set the SF project back? I'll stick with about 20 but I'm open to a spot of haggling.  ;)
Ah so you defended your prediction last week following the polls by pointing to margins if error etc but today, suddenly,  you pretend you event taking about the election at all?! Spoofer!!!!!  ;D
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 25, 2014, 10:06:17 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 25, 2014, 09:58:44 AM
Ah so you defended your prediction last week following the polls by pointing to margins if error etc but today, suddenly,  you pretend you event taking about the election at all?! Spoofer!!!!!  ;D
'The 2nd of those polls has 'don't knows' running at 25%, so I wouldn't get too carried away just yet. Both polls seem to have a 26 county focus too. Let's face it, if SF can't improve their vote in a state which has been living with austerity budgets for several years, there's something wrong. Let's see how they do in the north. I still think that Marty, Mary lou and Bobby Storey have between them scuppered their party's chances of increasing their vote up here.'
They didn't increase their vote up in the north, did they?