Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Moloney and McIntyre...is this turning into a fiasco for them?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/boston-college-history-department-distances-itself-from-tapes-1.1785452

The history department at Boston College in the US has disowned the archive which it is believed was central to the arrest of Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams last Wednesday.  It has said that the archive, known as the Belfast Project, "is not and never was a Boston College History Department project".  In an open letter signed by each of the past five professors and chairs of the history department at the college since 1997, up to and including the present incumbent Prof Robin Fleming, it acknowledges however that "the project was funded by Boston College" but takes exception to media references to it as a project of "BC historians" and "BC professors." That, it states, "is fundamentally inaccurate."  It points out that "the interviews that make up the archive were conducted by former members of the paramilitary organisations who were hired by the journalist Ed Moloney.  Neither the interviewers, Anthony McIntyre and Wilson McArthur, nor Mr Moloney were employed in or by the History Department at Boston College.  They were subcontracted to do the job by people acting outside the department and without the involvement of the department."  The subcontracting was done "by the director of the Burns Library, never a member of the history department, and the director of the Center for Irish Programs who, while a member of the department, was acting in his own administrative capacity".  It adds that "in fact, most members of the history faculty were unaware of the existence of the project until publication of Moloney's book - Voices from the Grave - in 2010. Successive department chairs had not been informed of the project, nor had the department been consulted on the merits of the effort or the appropriate procedures to be followed in carrying out such a fraught and potentially controversial venture."  The letter is signed by all five: Prof Fleming, his predecessor Prof James Cronin, his predecessor Prof Marilynn Johnson, her predecessor Prof Alan Rogers and his predecessor Prof Peter Weiler.

orangeman

It's alright until somebody gets hurt.

orangeman

Ed pleads his innocence now too. Everyone is innocent - nobody is guilty of anything.

The director of an oral history project on the Northern Ireland Troubles - part of which was relied upon by police to quiz Gerry Adams about a notorious IRA murder - has rejected any suggestion it was set up to "get" the Sinn Fein president.

New York based Irish Journalist Ed Moloney insisted Mr Adams' vocal criticism of the Boston College-backed endeavour was based on "almost complete ignorance", as he had not seen the contents of the archive.

"In the past few days a concerted attack has been made on the integrity of the Belfast Oral History Project, led by the leadership of Sinn Fein, in which the claim has been made that this was a 'Get Gerry Adams' enterprise designed to embarrass and discomfort Mr Adams," he said.

"I wish to refute this allegation in the strongest possible terms."

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 05, 2014, 09:16:41 PM
The only simpletons are the ones believing all they read in the press!!

Adams hadn't the guts to join the IRA, not did they want him!
He isn't ( and wasn't) liked by a lot of militant republicans !
Given that so many atrocities were quite fairly described as 'cowardly' - the McConville and McArdle murders, for example - i'm not sure 'bravery' was a pre-requisite. But that aside, i'm sure plenty were involved at certain levels that didn't require 'getting the hands dirty'.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 06, 2014, 07:32:29 PM

Given that so many atrocities were quite fairly described as 'cowardly' - the McConville and McArdle murders, for example - i'm not sure 'bravery' was a pre-requisite. But that aside, i'm sure plenty were involved at certain levels that didn't require 'getting the hands dirty'.
Horrendous and IMO disgrace fi killing of mrs mc conville

But as it seems to be the case- nothing exists to prove Adams of anything other than crimes against fashion
No matter how much you'd all like it to be true
It can't be proven because it isn't true
But I'm sure you'd know more

Whoever ordered the killing, it wasn't Adams - who could hardly order a bag of chips

foxcommander

Bravery was reserved for those lovely chaps in the armoured cars who patrolled the streets and shot people randomly while they were going to the shops, off to mass etc.

Catch yourself on clown.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

glens abu

what McArdle murder is that,was Gerry blamed on this as well?

glens abu

Quote from: AQMP on May 06, 2014, 04:24:33 PM
Moloney and McIntyre...is this turning into a fiasco for them?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/boston-college-history-department-distances-itself-from-tapes-1.1785452

The history department at Boston College in the US has disowned the archive which it is believed was central to the arrest of Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams last Wednesday.  It has said that the archive, known as the Belfast Project, "is not and never was a Boston College History Department project".  In an open letter signed by each of the past five professors and chairs of the history department at the college since 1997, up to and including the present incumbent Prof Robin Fleming, it acknowledges however that "the project was funded by Boston College" but takes exception to media references to it as a project of "BC historians" and "BC professors." That, it states, "is fundamentally inaccurate."  It points out that "the interviews that make up the archive were conducted by former members of the paramilitary organisations who were hired by the journalist Ed Moloney.  Neither the interviewers, Anthony McIntyre and Wilson McArthur, nor Mr Moloney were employed in or by the History Department at Boston College.  They were subcontracted to do the job by people acting outside the department and without the involvement of the department."  The subcontracting was done "by the director of the Burns Library, never a member of the history department, and the director of the Center for Irish Programs who, while a member of the department, was acting in his own administrative capacity".  It adds that "in fact, most members of the history faculty were unaware of the existence of the project until publication of Moloney's book - Voices from the Grave - in 2010. Successive department chairs had not been informed of the project, nor had the department been consulted on the merits of the effort or the appropriate procedures to be followed in carrying out such a fraught and potentially controversial venture."  The letter is signed by all five: Prof Fleming, his predecessor Prof James Cronin, his predecessor Prof Marilynn Johnson, her predecessor Prof Alan Rogers and his predecessor Prof Peter Weiler.

great to see the mess they have got themselves into.This man McIntyre who Give Her Dixie quotes all the time to attack SF is paid £100k to get people to tell lies and tout on former friends and comrades to try and discredit SF and Adams.He worked for McFeely in the Priory Hall project that left scores of people homeless with big debts and even one person taken his own life he was so depressed.The Brits and their fellow travellers will stoop as low as they can to attack Republicans but I have a message for you Dixie it's not working, people are see you all for what you are.Enjoy May the 25th when the results are in. :-[ :-[

Maguire01

Quote from: glens abu on May 06, 2014, 08:48:45 PM

Not that I'm aware. Have you maybe missed my point? I was challenging the idea that bravery was a pre-requisite for involvement in such activities.

Maguire01

Quote from: foxcommander on May 06, 2014, 08:45:37 PM
Bravery was reserved for those lovely chaps in the armoured cars who patrolled the streets and shot people randomly while they were going to the shops, off to mass etc.

Catch yourself on clown.
Did I say that those in "armoured cars" were brave for randomly shooting people? Or is that just a massive leap you've taken in your own head?

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 06, 2014, 08:18:42 PM

Horrendous and IMO disgrace fi killing of mrs mc conville

But as it seems to be the case- nothing exists to prove Adams of anything other than crimes against fashion
No matter how much you'd all like it to be true
It can't be proven because it isn't true
But I'm sure you'd know more

Whoever ordered the killing, it wasn't Adams - who could hardly order a bag of chips
I don't know more at all, nor do I claim to. You're the one making absolute claims.

And to suggest Adams could "hardly order a bag of chips" doesn't quite tally with his obvious political competence.

Maguire01

Quote from: hardstation on May 06, 2014, 10:26:48 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 06, 2014, 10:23:58 PM
Quote from: glens abu on May 06, 2014, 08:48:45 PM

Not that I'm aware. Have you maybe missed my point? I was challenging the idea that bravery was a pre-requisite for involvement in such activities.
I think he is suggesting that it is the Travers murder you are trying to refer to....
Yes, my mistake.

foxcommander

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 06, 2014, 10:27:03 PM
Did I say that those in "armoured cars" were brave for randomly shooting people? Or is that just a massive leap you've taken in your own head?
To say to a RUC/UDR apologist it's not that big a leap.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Maguire01

Quote from: foxcommander on May 06, 2014, 10:33:45 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 06, 2014, 10:27:03 PM
To say to a RUC/UDR apologist it's not that big a leap.
I can see you're going to be a great addition.  ::)

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore