Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 04, 2014, 11:53:35 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 04, 2014, 09:00:56 PM
Very measured speech by Adams, albeit at odds with some of the other comment from SF members in the last few days.
Yep, highlighting the fact that Marty in particular lost the run of himself in recent days. He's done them some damage, no doubt.

I'd say quite the opposite.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Syferus on May 05, 2014, 12:06:24 AM
If anyone thinks headlines like "I am innocent of murder" play well you are swallowing too much Tullamore Dew. I don't know how 'measured' could be applied to such a stunning situation. Ould Gery still moaned about being treated poorly as if being implicated in a murder didn't warrant the most thorough investigation possible.

The hypocrisy of Sinn Fein is what is being broadcast to Ireland as a whole and Enda, Martin and everyone else in the Dail will have had a very happy weekend.
The only people who will give a rats ass are people like yourself who didn't like him before the arrest anyway. And I don't think the headlines well be "I am innocent of murder". More likely to be "Adams released without charge". But of course if you have information,  I'm sure you'll be passing it on to the cops?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

stibhan

The media, local and international, tonight had a choice between broadcasting a conference from either Adams and Sinn Féin or the McConville family. Despite the fact that they had claimed that we should remember Jean McConville and her family's pain, constantly reminding us of their grief at various stages of this process, they instead chose to go en masse to the Balmoral Hotel and broadcast the Adams conference.

This was never, ever about the victims of the conflict, never about the McConville family. It was the same circus that happened whenever Liam Adams' case went to trial, and the fact that the RUC had tried to turn his daughter into an informant against her uncle rather than take her claims seriously was brushed under the carpet. This was, like that circus, always about journalistic exposure and a media determined to take down Gerry Adams. Once again, they failed.

I think the media should be absolutely ashamed of the way that they have used the clear victims of both cases with regards Adams in recent years. Once Adams' involvement was minimalised in both cases, their interest in the families affected seemed to dry up very, very quickly.

ONeill

It was never about the McConvilles for most. That's politics and media.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 05, 2014, 12:12:55 AM
If anyone thinks headlines like "I am innocent of murder" play well you are swallowing too much Tullamore Dew. I don't know how 'measured' could be applied to such a stunning situation. Ould Gery still moaned about being treated poorly as if being implicated in a murder didn't warrant the most thorough investigation possible.

The hypocrisy of Sinn Fein is what is being broadcast to Ireland as a whole and Enda, Martin and everyone else in the Dail will have had a very happy weekend.
The only people who will give a rats ass are people like yourself who didn't like him before the arrest anyway. And I don't think the headlines well be "I am innocent of murder". More likely to be "Adams released without charge". But of course if you have information,  I'm sure you'll be passing it on to the cops?

If you don't think the floating voters - in other words the very voters who were buoying Sinn Fein's record poll ratings a week ago - don't care then you're a fantasist.

I know he's 'your guy' (as a SF supporter) but the fact is he isn't anyone else's and they have no great attachment to him or his party and things as public as a four day arrest over a murder of a woman are certainly going to effect the party's perception outside of die-hard Republican communities. Far lesser issues sunk Sean Gallagher.

It feels like some SF supporters (and the big hats themselves) are trying to play a PR game when there really is no way for this not to be damaging.

orangeman

I listened to Martin Mc Guiness today on RTE lunch time news and Richard Crowley started to ask Marty a lot of hard questions. Mc Guinness is usually excellent at defending SF policy. But on the subject of Gerry and Jean Mc Conville and Gerry's persistence with his denial of ever being an IRA member, Martin was wobbling like I've never heard him wobble before. And he knew it himself and said to Crowley that he wasn't for playing Crowley's silly little games.

SF will do better under Pearse or Mary Lou or whoever. Time to let Gerry go.

Main Street

Sounds similar to the clarion calls from the new wave, brand Arsenal fans, to get rid of Wenger.
Will Adams last longer than Wenger?

orangeman

33 taped interviews is a lot. They seem to have put him through the wringer. Showing him old photos - they must have been reminiscing.

The Sinn Féin leader said police had conducted 33 taped interviews and detectives had presented him with old photographs of himself and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness and with interviews conducted by people who were "enemies of the peace process".

Hardy

Quote from: Orior on May 04, 2014, 10:19:05 PM
Quote from: Hardy on May 04, 2014, 06:42:28 PM

Very good. Were you saving that one ye boy ye?

Well sussed. I was, ye boy ye. How could I resist?

Quote from: ONeill on May 04, 2014, 10:51:53 PM
HOLD ON ONE GODDAMN SECOND HERE.

Hardy = Willie Frazer? - - https://www.facebook.com/williamfrazerni

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 04, 2014, 08:49:24 PM
Gerry got his letter then!

Wullie reads gaaboard!

Syferus

"Peace process" seems to be a by-word for being above prosecution to top level Shinners. C'mon now lads.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Syferus on May 05, 2014, 12:20:54 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 05, 2014, 12:12:55 AM

If you don't think the floating voters - in other words the very voters who were buoying Sinn Fein's record poll ratings a week ago - don't care then you're a fantasist.

I know he's 'your guy' (as a SF supporter) but the fact is he isn't anyone else's and they have no great attachment to him or his party and things as public as a four day arrest over a murder of a woman are certainly going to effect the party's perception outside of die-hard Republican communities. Far lesser issues sunk Sean Gallagher.

It feels like some SF supporters (and the big hats themselves) are trying to play a PR game when there really is no way for this not to be damaging.
I've never been a SF voter in my life, but I was thinking of giving my first preference to them this time around, at least in the council elections. The SDLP is finished as a political party and I've been impressed by the way SF have handled themselves in recent months and by the performance of individual Shinners. Also, the only candidate who has bothered his arse to knock our door and actually talk to us has been the Shinner. This past week has changed my mind. The sheer petulance SF has displayed, the veiled threats, the fall back to street politics and the victim mentality - it's reminded me why I've never voted SF in the past.

orangeman

This is the article and the court appearance of Ivor Bell, 77 year old charged was with aiding and averting the murder of Jean Mc Conville. I'm wondering why they didn't release this old man and send a file to the DPP, the same as they did in Gerry's case ?.

The court was told today that one of the Boston interviewees, given the title Z, spoke about the circumstances surrounding the decision to abduct her.

Based on jigsaw identification, prosecution counsel David Russell alleged that this person was Bell.

It was claimed that he detailed a meeting in the kitchen of a house in the Falls Road area with a man seeking advice about Mrs McConville.

He was told about her alleged activities as an informer and his advice sought, according to the prosecution.

The alleged consultation took place while she was still alive, Mr Justice Weir was told.

Mr Russell claimed: "He (Bell) indicates that he told the other person: "Well, she's a tout and the fact she's a woman shouldn't save her."

According to the transcripts he may have taken a different view if he had known she had ten children and no husband, the court heard.

However, interviewee Z allegedly confirmed he would back up whatever was decided.

It was claimed that he said he had no problem with shooting touts but disagreed with burying Mrs McConville.

He allegedly stated that informers' bodies should instead be left openly as an example to others.

The 37-year-old victim was ultimately shot in the back of the head and buried 50 miles from her home.

She became one of the so-called Disappeared, and it was not until August 2003 that her remains were eventually found on Shelling Hill beach in Co Louth.

Setting out the charge against Bell, Mr Russell said: "The prosecution case is he counselled those who had her in captivity and in doing so he encouraged her murder."

The accused, from Ramoan Gardens in the Andersonstown district of west Belfast, was arrested last week.

He denies any role in the abduction or murder of Mrs McConville.

The pensioner, who has serious health problems, told detectives he did not believe he was in Belfast around the time she vanished.

Opposing bail due to fears he may flee, the prosecution claimed he had used an alias to travel to Madrid during the 1980s.

Asked how long it could take before the case gets to trial, Mr Russell accepted it was unlikely to be "fast-tracked".

He added: "It's clear that there are other inquiries being made, and I don't wish to put it any higher than that."

As relatives of both the accused and victim packed the court, defence counsel Barry Macdonald QC said issues arising from the Boston College transcripts would be dealt with at trial.

He rejected claims that his client may flee if released, pointing to his medical problems.

Granting bail on two sureties of £10,000 each, Mr Justice Weir ordered one to be lodged in cash along with the title deeds to a house.

Bell must report to police three times a week, surrender his passport and give 48 hours notice if he plans to travel outside Northern Ireland.

The judge asked him: "If I release you on bail do you promise me you will keep to your bail conditions?"
Bell, appearing via a video-link with Maghaberry Prison, replied: "You have my word, my lord."

Minder

Do candidates actually knock on doors now ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

glens abu

Quote from: Minder on May 05, 2014, 09:51:37 AM
Do candidates actually knock on doors now ?

Yes,have 6 candidates in North Belfast and 3 in Newtownabbey and they are out on average 4/5 nights a week knocking doors a d have been since selection

AQMP

BBC reporting that the PPS will be looking at charges of IRA membership against Adams not the McConville murder.