Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

PSNI get another 48 hrs to question GA.

orangeman

Quote from: muppet on May 02, 2014, 07:32:53 PM
http://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/23706

SINN FÉIN Deputy Leader Mary Lou McDonald TD reiterates her view that Garda 'whistleblowers' must be afforded the opportunity to state their case and be questioned before the Dáil Public Accounts Committee.

Meanwhile, Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams TD has called for greater oversight and accountability of An Garda Síochána along the lines of the Patten reforms in the North.

"Sinn Féin recognises the essential role of An Garda Síochána, and the commitment that gardaí show in fulfilling their duties. A fully-resourced police service, responsive to the demands of citizens and the community, is essential.

"Recent events have raised serious questions around Garda oversight and accountability. What is required is an independent policing authority, accountable to a representative policing board, along the lines of what is now in place in the North.

And time will tell that Gerry will get, say that he's been questioned up and down, that he is innocent, has not done any wrong and that he told you so.

And don't mention it again.

All done and dusted.

Hopefully.

Nally Stand

Quote from: trileacman on May 02, 2014, 07:24:16 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 02, 2014, 05:38:23 PM
Do you remember the 'Save Dave' campaign? Do you remember when the media were ready and waiting to capture carefully choreographed images of 18 RUC landrovers full of RUC men arriving to seize documents from SF's big 'spyring'? The same seized documents were later revealed to have been two CDs. One a copy of MS Word, one a copy of a SF election manifesto. Both discretely returned days later when the damage had been achieved. The high profile arrest associated with this? That of Dennis Donaldson, later revealed to have been the security force's 'man on the inside'. It was the single biggest farce of political policing in years. Everyone saw right through it. Now since when were escapades like this every easily attributed to a specifically named person. Sometimes it's just abundantly clear the motives and the various groups which stand to gain though. Like "stormontgate", most people appear to be seeing right through this latest playact. Worth remembering that this investigation's progress is based on the "Boston tapes" - recorded allegations by deceased people who can't expand on their claims and who, to a man/woman, despised Gerry Adams.

So just the pigs then? I dunno, hard to see what's in it for them. SF have been backing/congratulating the police for years now and as part of the ruling coalition, influence on the police. I mean how did this "dark side" manage to fly under the Shinner radar for so long? if you were a psni lad why risk your job, your reputation, your working relationship with your colleagues just to stick it to the Shinners?

And surely they had to get it sanctioned by the echelons too? Detective Dipshit and Constable Cop didn't just one day decide they could lift Gerry and keep him for a few days. The extension had to be signed off by the head honcho's and that so why isn't Martin laying into Matt Baggot for his role in this arrest or other senior police figures? And I thought the police service now was flooded with taigs? Surely some of the lads involved in Gerry's arrest/investigation have to be taigs, it couldn't all be Sammy and Jeffrey and Scott. I mean if a few Catholics are involved does the "proud sons of Ulster" badge still apply for this "dark side"?

I dunno, there's loads that doesn't make sense here and there's plenty we don't know yet. I don't see how this is just a spiteful act of a few Billy Boys.

Putting words in my mouth again? I said that as with the "stormontgate" and the 'save dave' farce, there were numerous groups who stood/who stand to gain. And as with the big spyring (eh hem), I would assume that it was orchestrated at a level quite a bit above that of Constable Cop or Detective Dipshit's level. I that I think most people are shrewd enough to recognise a political move when they see one, from wherever it came. The general reaction since yesterday seems to me as one of acceptance of this from most.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Do you remember the 'Save Dave' campaign? Do you remember when the media were ready and waiting to capture carefully choreographed images of 18 RUC landrovers full of RUC men arriving to seize documents from SF's big 'spyring'? The same seized documents were later revealed to have been two CDs. One a copy of MS Word, one a copy of a SF election manifesto. Both discretely returned days later when the damage had been achieved. The high profile arrest associated with this? That of Dennis Donaldson, later revealed to have been the security force's 'man on the inside'. It was the single biggest farce of political policing in years. Everyone saw right through it. Now since when were escapades like this every easily attributed to a specifically named person. Sometimes it's just abundantly clear the motives and the various groups which stand to gain though. Like "stormontgate", most people appear to be seeing right through this latest playact. Worth remembering that this investigation's progress is based on the "Boston tapes" - recorded allegations by deceased people who can't expand on their claims and who, to a man/woman, despised Gerry Adams.

So just the pigs then? I dunno, hard to see what's in it for them. SF have been backing/congratulating the police for years now and as part of the ruling coalition, influence on the police. I mean how did this "dark side" manage to fly under the Shinner radar for so long? if you were a psni lad why risk your job, your reputation, your working relationship with your colleagues just to stick it to the Shinners?

And surely they had to get it sanctioned by the echelons too? Detective Dipshit and Constable Cop didn't just one day decide they could lift Gerry and keep him for a few days. The extension had to be signed off by the head honcho's and that so why isn't Martin laying into Matt Baggot for his role in this arrest or other senior police figures? And I thought the police service now was flooded with taigs? Surely some of the lads involved in Gerry's arrest/investigation have to be taigs, it couldn't all be Sammy and Jeffrey and Scott. I mean if a few Catholics are involved does the "proud sons of Ulster" badge still apply for this "dark side"?

I dunno, there's loads that doesn't make sense here and there's plenty we don't know yet. I don't see how this is just a spiteful act of a few Billy Boys.
A few important points highlighted there. If there were these so called 'dark forces', how come we're only hearing about them now? What has SF been doing on the Policing Board? Has this ever even been mentioned before? And yes, i'd assume this arrest was approved at the highest levels of the PSNI - does that mean the 'dark forces' are at the top of the PSNI, or influence the top of the PSNI? If that's the case, it's even more difficult to understand why we're only hearing of this now.

McGuinness had been playing a bit of a blinder on 'law and order' matters recently, in stark contrast to some of the politicians on the other side of the house. It's baffling that he hasn't held it together a bit better this time. I don't think he's achieving anything with his current approach.

muppet

Quote from: hardstation on May 02, 2014, 08:03:58 PM
The timing looks to be his. If he stayed down south until after the election he would not be 'on the run'.
What I mean is, if the peelers wanted to arrest him, they wouldn't need to 'trap' him.

Fair enough, but if he wanted to wait till after the election they would have had a whole load of court appearances, warrants & extradition procedures to go through before he could have been considered to be not co-operating.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

They know better than to give statements.

Meanwhile, two senior republicans have refused to give statements in the past 24 hours to the PSNI implicating Gerry Adams in IRA activity, independent.ie has learned today.

As the Sinn Fein leader continues to be questioned by detectives at Antrim PNSI base, we have learned that officers asked for statements from Evelyn Gilroy and Peter Rodgers.

Both have made claims in the past few weeks about Adams.

Rodgers told the Sunday Independent that Adams had ordered him to take unsafe explosive material to Britain for a bombing campaign there.

When asked to give a statement to police on his claims, sources close to Rodgers say he refused.

A close friend of Gilroy, a former internee and veteran republican, says she was also asked for a statement implicating Adams in IRA activity. She also refused despite telling the Sunday Life paper 10 days ago that Adams should be arrested.

Gilroy was an active republican in Divis flats where Jean McConville was abducted in December 1972.

Evelyn Gilroy had said on April 24: "I'm speaking out for the first time because I'm very angry that grassroots republicans are being arrested.

"Police have lifted people who were 15 and 16 at the time of the killing, yet Gerry Adams remains untouched. I'm disgusted that ordinary republicans are being put through the mill for his actions.

"It defies belief that he hasn't been arrested. The police should stop chasing those who were never in a position in the republican movement to order Jean McConville's execution and instead arrest the only person who was in that position -- Gerry Adams.

"He has got away with so much over the years. He now seems to be getting away with this as well. It will be a disgrace if ordinary people end up carrying the can for what he did."

But Gilroy has refused to provide an affidavit backing up her claims.

Republican sources have expressed 'astonishment' that potential witnesses were approached for statements after Mr Adams arrest.

Maguire01

Quote from: Hardy on May 02, 2014, 05:12:17 PM
The whining about the timing of the arrest "four weeks before an election" is amusing.

What if the PSNI say they did it now because they didn't want to be seen to do it too close to the election?
:)
Precisely. They could have arrested him a day or two before the election. As it is, he'll either be:
a) released without charge well before the election - and be able to say he's answered all their questions and they have nothing to pursue
or
b) charged with something - in which case he'd be awaiting trial at election time, whether he was arrested this week or two months ago

no?

muppet

Quote from: orangeman on May 02, 2014, 09:15:56 PM

Meanwhile, two senior republicans have refused to give statements in the past 24 hours to the PSNI implicating Gerry Adams in IRA activity, independent.ie has learned today.

As the Sinn Fein leader continues to be questioned by detectives at Antrim PNSI base, we have learned that officers asked for statements from Evelyn Gilroy and Peter Rodgers.

Rodgers told the Sunday Independent that Adams had ordered him to take unsafe explosive material to Britain for a bombing campaign there.

When asked to give a statement to police on his claims, sources close to Rodgers say he refused.

A close friend of Gilroy, a former internee and veteran republican, says she was also asked for a statement implicating Adams in IRA activity. She also refused despite telling the Sunday Life paper 10 days ago that Adams should be arrested.

Gilroy was an active republican in Divis flats where Jean McConville was abducted in December 1972.

Evelyn Gilroy had said on April 24: "I'm speaking out for the first time because I'm very angry that grassroots republicans are being arrested.

"Police have lifted people who were 15 and 16 at the time of the killing, yet Gerry Adams remains untouched. I'm disgusted that ordinary republicans are being put through the mill for his actions.

"It defies belief that he hasn't been arrested. The police should stop chasing those who were never in a position in the republican movement to order Jean McConville's execution and instead arrest the only person who was in that position -- Gerry Adams.

"He has got away with so much over the years. He now seems to be getting away with this as well. It will be a disgrace if ordinary people end up carrying the can for what he did."

Republican sources have expressed 'astonishment' that potential witnesses were approached for statements after Mr Adams arrest.

Thus disconnecting themselves from any statement that might have been made?
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Quote from: muppet on May 02, 2014, 09:29:09 PM

Surely not.

Smoke and cigars and all that.

muppet

Quote from: orangeman on May 02, 2014, 09:35:06 PM

Surely not.

I will rephrase that.

Thus if the PSNI have some statements from somewhere, these two have very publicly distanced themselves from it?
MWWSI 2017

AQMP

Well they've seen where this sort of thing can end up.

orangeman

Quote from: muppet on May 02, 2014, 09:38:26 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 02, 2014, 09:35:06 PM

Surely not.

I will rephrase that.

Thus if the PSNI have some statements from somewhere, these two have very publicly distanced themselves from it?

Yes. A statement or even less to the cops could have resulted in a one way to the border.

It wouldn't be worth it now surely but the army towers have all been removed leaving it much more scenic.

trileacman

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 02, 2014, 09:01:12 PM

Putting words in my mouth again? I said that as with the "stormontgate" and the 'save dave' farce, there were numerous groups who stood/who stand to gain. And as with the big spyring (eh hem), I would assume that it was orchestrated at a level quite a bit above that of Constable Cop or Detective Dipshit's level. I that I think most people are shrewd enough to recognise a political move when they see one, from wherever it came. The general reaction since yesterday seems to me as one of acceptance of this from most.
To what level then? Cameron, Hague, Devillers, Punt, Baggot? Who's pulling the strings for the "dark side"? I don't particularly care who it is I'd just like to know who you lads all think is the political pusher at the end of it.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Nally Stand

Quote from: trileacman on May 02, 2014, 09:44:09 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 02, 2014, 09:01:12 PM

To what level then? Cameron, Hague, Devillers, Punt, Baggot? Who's pulling the strings for the "dark side"? I don't particularly care who it is I'd just like to know who you lads all think is the political pusher at the end of it.
Allow me to turn the question on you: who do you think was behind the stormont "raid" idea?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Saffrongael

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come