Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-27255574

Political Policing??

Teresa Villiers was told on Monday that Adams would be "questioned" (does that mean arrested?) over the McConville case.  She was told by one of her minions who had been told by the PSNI.  Why did the PSNI feel the need to inform her that Adams was about to be arrested??

muppet

Quote from: AQMP on May 02, 2014, 01:51:16 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-27255574

Political Policing??

Teresa Villiers was told on Monday that Adams would be "questioned" (does that mean arrested?) over the McConville case.  She was told by one of her minions who had been told by the PSNI.  Why did the PSNI feel the need to inform her that Adams was about to be arrested??

And why did she feel it necessary to make this public?
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

Quote from: Main Street on May 02, 2014, 12:59:58 PM
I take it that the opinion is, that it's alright to endlessly drag more milage out of the republican actions/supposed stuff/rumoured stuff that happened from the 25 year war, that there is no point where a treaty can be signed and a line can be drawn, because you have the opinion that if the shoe was on the other foot, Sinn Fein would be throwing atrocity mud at the government? ;D

Pretty much, yeah. Politics south of the border is still framed by a long-finished war and the treaty that followed it.

As an aside,  I feel as much disdain for Enda Kenny and his constant invoking of Jean McConville whenever the mood takes him as I do for the Shinners and their poor-little-us routine on the subject.

AQMP

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/gerry-adams-arrested-senior-republicans-evelyn-gilroy-and-peter-rodgers-refuse-to-give-statements-to-psni-over-sinn-fein-leader-30239086.html

I heard Brian Rowan allude to this on the Radio this morning.  It seems that yesterday the PSNI approached two veteran republicans who have been vociferous in their criticism of Adams and asked them for statements implicating him in IRA activity.  It seems both refused.

AQMP

PSNI apply for more time to question Adams.

Seems they're determined to get him for something!

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet 919.html/url]
Now if an elected TD, who is also a leader of a political party who is aiming to get into Government, has former comrades who appear  to allege he was involved in something a lot more serious, then surely in any open democracy, the voting public, the press and other politicians are entitled to some answers?
Ah then that would explain why Gilmore always gets such a rough ride in the media and in the dáil about his past. #yeahright
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: trileacman on May 02, 2014, 01:02:26 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 02, 2014, 09:10:29 AM
Take your head our of your ass would you Trileac. I've spoken numerous times about Jean McConville and the disappeared in general and registered my total disgust at what happened to them. You are attempting to refute my argument that there is a hierarchy of victims in the 26 counties with McConville/McCabe at the top and the only evidence you provide is what I posted to this thread yesterday and another instance of you putting words in my mouth by suggesting I accused you of something. I did not. You are narrowing your entire argument down to this thread. Read a book, read a newspaper, watch the news, watch the chat shows...when discussion arises about the conflict you can bet your house and your life savings that there are two specific names that will crop up more than any others. My issue is not with the mentioning of these two names, but with the fact that the continued focus on two "useful" victims, means the total ignoring of others. If you travelled around the 26 counties and asked everyone you saw to name two victims of the conflict, I'd happily put my life savings on it that of over 3,000 victims, most people would rehash the same two names. On another thread about the disappeared, I was the first poster to respond to the opening post, where I expressed sympathy for the families and a hope that they find their loved ones (and was roundly abused for doing so). I have repeatedly spoken of my disgust as the disappearing of victims bodies. So your attempts at pigeon holing me are simply wrong. Gerry Adams arrest on Wednesday was a political move. That much is clear. It was timed to coincide with two elections and as such, I was well within my rights to speak about the overuse for political purposes of two victims names above other victims. Tell me, what would your excuse be for Joe Byrne's speak?

What a coincidence...over 3,000 victims and look at the two names you managed to pull out:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=23586.msg1265601#msg1265601

Firstly I haven't a f**king penny in life savings so gamble whatever way you want. Secondly, unlike your good self I'm not an apologist for any political party, so I've no excuse for what Byrne said. I'll form my own opinions and not blindly follow the utterances of a politician.
I provided his quote as evidence to support my argument. An argument you were challenging. But sure if it's too much bother for you...
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 02, 2014, 03:29:07 PM
Now if an elected TD, who is also a leader of a political party who is aiming to get into Government, has former comrades who appear  to allege he was involved in something a lot more serious, then surely in any open democracy, the voting public, the press and other politicians are entitled to some answers?
Ah then that would explain why Gilmore always gets such a rough ride in the media and in the dáil about his past. #yeahright

Which murder is he alleged to know something about?
MWWSI 2017

AQMP

Nothing to do with GA but interesting nonetheless

365 Royal Pardons issued in NI since 1979.  Who got them??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-27260596

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on May 02, 2014, 03:37:59 PM

Sure take your pick. Since when had evidence ever mattered in these allegations. Would he usually get a rough ride about organisations he is alleged to have been involved with? Again, yeah right.

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 02, 2014, 03:54:32 PM

Sure take your pick. Since when had evidence ever mattered in these allegations. Would he usually get a rough ride about organisations he is alleged to have been involved with? Again, yeah right.

Unlike Gilmore, Gerry has a long line of ex-comrades who seem to want to badmouth him. In this regard he is almost Lance Armstrong like in his unfortunate choice of past associates.

As an aside I was surprised to see he is 65 years of age. He is older than Enda who is by far the longest sitting TD.

Probably time for both of them to exit the spotlight.
MWWSI 2017

sheamy

Ok, so as long as your old 'comrades' don't bad mouth you, then 'in any open democracy, the voting public, the press and other politicians are entitled to some answers?' doesn't apply?

Oh dear.

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/99053?condense_comments=true&userlanguage=en&save_prefs=true

I guess if questions are never asked, then we'll never know. The infiltration of the media (north and south) by former workers party members really is a fascinating topic that, for some reason, is never discussed.

AQMP

Quote from: muppet on May 02, 2014, 04:02:32 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 02, 2014, 03:54:32 PM

Unlike Gilmore, Gerry has a long line of ex-comrades who seem to want to badmouth him. In this regard he is almost Lance Armstrong like in his unfortunate choice of past associates.

As an aside I was surprised to see he is 65 years of age. He is older than Enda who is by far the longest sitting TD.

Probably time for both of them to exit the spotlight.

Born on 6 October 1948.  Means he was 24 when Jean McConville was abducted.

muppet

Quote from: sheamy on May 02, 2014, 04:09:26 PM
Ok, so as long as your old 'comrades' don't bad mouth you, then 'in any open democracy, the voting public, the press and other politicians are entitled to some answers?' doesn't apply?

Oh dear.

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/99053?condense_comments=true&userlanguage=en&save_prefs=true

I guess if questions are never asked, then we'll never know. The infiltration of the media (north and south) by former workers party members really is a fascinating topic that, for some reason, is never discussed.

Em, someone has to make a serious allegation. Do you understand that?

If someone makes an allegation about Gilmore I will agree wholeheartedly.

The article you linked had only one question for Gilmore: "Will some RTÉ journalist (or indeed any senior journalist) now step up to the plate and ask Eamom Gilmore what, if anything, he knew, about the links between the Workers Party and the Official IRA?"

Good question, and I would like to hear the answer. But not in the same ballpark as being arrested in connection with a specific murder.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Police are seeking more time to quiz Sinn Féin president Gerry Adams, the deputy first minister has said.

"We have been told within the last couple of hours that the PSNI are seeking an extension to Gerry Adams' detention," said Martin McGuinness, his party colleague.

Mr Adams, 65, denies allegations that he was involved in the abduction and murder of Jean McConville in 1972.

He has been held for questioning at Antrim police station since Wednesday.

Mr Adams, former MP for West Belfast and an elected representative for County Louth in the Republic of Ireland, voluntarily presented himself for interview.

Mr McGuinness told a news conference: "Yesterday, I said that the timing of the arrest of Gerry Adams was politically motivated.

"Today's decision by the PSNI to seek an extension confirms me in my view."

A new mural of Gerry Adams is being painted on Belfast's Falls Road with the slogan 'Peacemaker, leader, visionary'
Mr McGuinness said the detention of Mr Adams was "a very, very serious situation".

Sinn Féin

He said Sinn Féin supported the progressive elements within the PSNI.

However, he added: "There is a cabal within the PSNI who have a different agenda, a negative and destructive agenda to both the peace process and to Sinn Féin."

He said Sinn Féin had been told this by "very senior members of the PSNI" who had coined the phrase the 'dark side'.

"Am I angry? Yes I am, but it's a very controlled anger," he said.

In regards to Sinn Féin's support for policing in Northern Ireland, he said that would continue if the situation with Mr Adams is resolved in a satisfactory manner.

"If it doesn't, we will have to review that situation."