Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Hyde Park bomb suspect John Downey has insisted that unionists knew about the secret On the Runs letters in his first interview since his trial collapsed.

He walked free from court last month after it emerged he had received a government letter telling him he was not wanted by any UK police force.

He was one of about 200 paramilitary suspects who received the letters.

Mr Downey, who had denied murdering four soldiers in the 1982 IRA attack, has spoken to the Donegal Democrat.

The 62-year-old told his local newspaper: "As far as the unionists saying that they didn't know about the letters, or course they knew.

"I got the letter in 2007, having applied through Sinn Féin in 2003, four years later the application was granted as part of an ongoing process," he said.

The County Donegal resident added that he received his letter a few days after the Northern Ireland Assembly was set up.

"As far as the letter is concerned, this was an arrangement between the British and Irish government and my arrest was a breach of the agreement between the British and Irish government."

lawnseed

Gerry finally puts it up to the jene mcconville abduction  crowd what will enda talk about now?
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Rossfan

Quote from: lawnseed on March 26, 2014, 05:15:16 AM
Gerry finally puts it up to the jene mcconville abduction  crowd ?

I thought the Provo IRA had been disbanded?? ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

lawnseed

Is there anything in the timing of this

Feckitt

Any links?  What exactly are you referring to ?

Rossfan

Quote from: Hardy on March 26, 2014, 10:59:21 AM
Yes, but have they gone away?
Hayseed obviously thinks they haven't anyway  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lawnseed

lawnseed

Its all about timing. I hearing definate positive attitude change in the counties meath cavan and further into louth than before toward the shinners. Things are just starting to move slowley but in the right direction..  definate feelgood factor coming from mary lou in public accounts dept voters happy with her tenacity and openess.. As a shinner i'd be positive atm

glens abu

Have been on the canvas for a while now and very positive on the doors in all areas towards the shinners always a few backwoods men who want to live in the past or drag us back there but other than that very encouraging.SF are having an all Ireland conference this Sat in Drogheda when candidates from every county in Ireland will attend and should kickstart the campaign for the up coming elections north and south.

All of a Sludden

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2591091/Former-IRA-commander-Martin-McGuinness-attend-state-dinner-Windsor-Castle-hosted-Queen.html

Former IRA Commander Martin McGuinness is set to make an historic trip to Windsor Castle to attend a state banquet hosted by the Queen, it was claimed last night.
Two years after he memorably shook hands with the British monarch, Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister is said to be on the guest list for a white tie dinner in honor of Irish President Michael D Higgins next month.
It is believed he has also been invited to a Northern Ireland 'themed' reception, again at Windsor, being hosted by the Queen three days later.
Martin McGuinness, pictured attending the funeral of Tony Benn, will attend a state banquet at Windsor Castle hosted by the Queen, it has been claimed   +6
Martin McGuinness will attend a state banquet at Windsor Castle hosted by the Queen, it has been claimed   +6
Martin McGuinness, pictured attending the funeral of Tony Benn, will attend a state banquet at Windsor Castle hosted by the Queen, it has been claimed
Although both Buckingham Palace and the Irish Government refused to comment, the Belfast Telegraph said last night that he was 'likely' to attend.
The Mail understands that invitations to the State banquet have now been sent out, while invitations to the reception are set to be posted in the next few days. Any acceptance would, however, have to be ratified by senior officials within Sinn Fein.
The sight of a self-confessed IRA leader dining in the Queen's home would have been unthinkable only a few years ago.

More...
Cherie Blair embraces former IRA commander Martin McGuinness at funeral of Tony Benn
But in 2012 - more than thirty years after her cousin, Lord Mountbatten of Burma was murdered by an IRA bomb as he holidayed with his family - the Queen agreed to meet with Mr McGuinness for the first time.
On a visit to Belfast to celebrate her Diamond Jubilee, the couple were introduced amid high security at a community reception held in a local theatre.
After much behind the scenes negotiation, the Queen shook the hand of the man once named the terrorist group's 'godfather of godfathers' not once but twice.
Although she has been at the heart of many events that have changed the course of history, few could have been so intensely personal.
The Queen adored her 'Uncle Dickie', who introduced her to her future husband, the Duke of Edinburgh. Philip, a nephew of Lord Mountbatten, was exceptionally close to the murdered aristocrat and took news of his death in 1979 equally hard.
Historic moment: The Sinn Fein politician memorably shook hands with the British monarch during a Royal trip to Northern Ireland two years ago   +6
Historic moment: The Sinn Fein politician memorably shook hands with the British monarch during a Royal trip to Northern Ireland two years ago
The meeting was equally significant for Mr McGuinness who faced criticism from hard-line republicans who see the Queen as the face of oppression in their country.
He made clear, however, that he had been moved by the Queen's decision to acknowledge the 'sad and regrettable' history of Britain's troubled relationship with Ireland when she became the first British monarch to visit the republic for a century in 2011.
The Queen's cousin Lord Mountbatten was killed by an IRA bomb   +6
The Queen's cousin Lord Mountbatten was killed by an IRA bomb
Still, the sight of Mr McGuinness dining in the historic surroundings of the Waterloo Chamber at Windsor will be something few who have experience of The Troubles ever thought they would witness.
Mr McGuinness has been open about his IRA past, but has always insisted he never killed anyone - claims that have been repeatedly questioned by his critics.
His attendance would be particularly remarkable given that Windsor Castle is the one royal residence the Queen truly calls home.
The town is also home to the Household Cavalry's Combermere Barracks. The regiment was the victim of the infamous Hyde Park bombing in 1982 which killed four soldiers and seven horses.
The President's historic five day visit, beginning on April 7, is first by an Irish head of state to the UK. Palace sources have made clear to the Mail that the monarch is taking a keener than normal interest in every detail.
The President and his wife will be met in London on April 8 by Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall and travel with them for a full ceremonial welcome in Windsor.
After greet the Queen and her husband they will join the royal couple for a state carriage procession to the castle, where they will reside all week.
Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister is said to be on the guest list for a white tie dinner at Windsor Castle next month   +6
Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister is said to be on the guest list for a white tie dinner at Windsor Castle next month
The president will take inspect a Guard of Honour and enjoy a private lunch with the Queen before the evening's glittering state banquet. The dinner will be attended by senior royals including Prince Charles, who regarded Lord Mountbatten as his honorary grandfather and mentor.
Normally the monarch plays little part in the rest of a visit but on this occasion she will hold a second reception at castle on April 10 before formally bidding farewell to her guests the following day.
A spokesman for Buckingham Palace said last night: 'As with all state visits we would not announce the names of invitees in advance of the state banquet. Clearly if people who have been invited wish to make that fact public is a matter for them.'
Mr McGuinness, pictured in 1985, has been open about his IRA past, but has always insisted he never killed anyone   +6
Mr McGuinness, pictured in 1985, has been open about his IRA past, but has always insisted he never killed anyone
Courtiers said the importance of the visit by the Irish President cannot be overstated.
'All state visits are important but this one is exceptional,' said one.
'It is particularly historic being the first inward state visit by an Irish president but also because it takes place so quickly after the Queen's own visit to Ireland in 2011 when she was made to feel so welcome.
'The Royal Household always takes great pride in the hospitality they offer but have very heavily invested in this visit in particular.
'The Queen regards Windsor Castle as her home and the fact that she has invited the Irish president to stay there is a mark of the importance she attributes to it.
'This is clearly something very personal for her and she is taking a very keen interest in every detail.'
Speaking ahead of his meeting with the Queen in 2012, Mr McGuinness referred to a famous remark by former prime minister Tony Blair before the 1998 Good Friday peace deal, saying: 'There was a lot of talk in the past about someone feeling the hand of history on his shoulder.
'This is about stretching out the hand of peace and reconciliation to Queen Elizabeth who represents hundreds of thousands of unionists in the north.
'It is about me representing my party, wishing to show the unionist people in the north that we are prepared to respect what they believe in, albeit that we are still Irish republicans.
'I am an Irish republican now - after I meet with Queen Elizabeth, I will still be an Irish republican, and just as passionate about freedom, justice and peace, and reconciliation, as I was the day before.'
Lord Mountbatten, a grand-son of Queen Victoria, was murdered when the IRA planted a bomb under his fishing boat off the coast of County Sligo.
Although pulled alive from the wreckage, he was fatally wounded by the explosion which also killed his son-in-law's mother, Lady Brabourne, his grandson, Nicholas, 14, a 15-year-old local boy, Paul Maxwell.
In the aftermath of the tragedy the Queen took the remaining family under her wing, caring for them at Balmoral, her Scottish home.
IRA bomb-maker Thomas McMahon was convicted for his part in the tragedy but released under the Good Friday Agreement.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

lawnseed

Quote from: glens abu on March 28, 2014, 08:37:40 AM
Have been on the canvas for a while now and very positive on the doors in all areas towards the shinners always a few backwoods men who want to live in the past or drag us back there but other than that very encouraging.SF are having an all Ireland conference this Sat in Drogheda when candidates from every county in Ireland will attend and should kickstart the campaign for the up coming elections north and south.
Ive been invited to tag along on canvas as well might see you glens....  Yep its shootin fish in  barrel im  told.. very positive. . lets hope the handshakes turn into votes

glens abu

omagh_gael

Sinn Fein up to 21% in today's red c poll. Temporary transfer of support following the carnage of the whistleblower-gate or a real chance of significant gains in the next election?

lawnseed

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 30, 2014, 01:01:33 PM
Sinn Fein up to 21% in today's red c poll. Temporary transfer of support following the carnage of the whistleblower-gate or a real chance of significant gains in the next election?
Yes yes yes.. I knew it!!  I'll know more when I get a chance to go on the canvas oma. But the word from the guys already out there is very positive.  Voters are sick of sliveenism and corruption they want positive open fairplay governance by people  who arent interested in feathering a nest for themselves and who give a shit about creating jobs and equality