Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

From Jude Collins:
http://www.judecollins.com

RUTH MUFFLES UP
The Equality Commission has a Guide for Employers and Employees. It says "there should be no place in the workplace for conduct that has the potential to disrupt an harmonious working environment". So here's the question: did Ruth Patterson's donning of a Linfield scarf in Belfast City Council last night help promote a harmonious working environment?

Definitely No. Did Ruth know it would damage harmonious working relations? Of course she did. Ruth's record on promoting harmonious relations is nothing if not consistent. When she was deputy mayor, she refused to shake hands or even look at the Sinn Féin mayor. She posted on a website her satisfaction at the thought of a Michael-Stone-type  attack on a  proposed republican march. She is a woman who appears to delight in doing things that belong in the past and certainly not in an adult political system.

The fact is that Linfield in its history as a football club was the epitome of anti-Catholic bigotry. I say 'was' – the club is presently doing all it can to leave that history behind it. In Belfast City Hall I presume Sinn Féin were seeking to encourage that kind of positive behaviour in the club when it supported the motion to honour the LInfield manager David Jeffrey. Ruth on the other hand was seeking to appeal to those who would drag the club back to its unhappy past.

But here's the saddest thing. When a politician speaks or acts – any politician – he or she has part of his/her mind focused on the next election. Will this action or statement get me votes? Ruth Patterson will, presumably, be looking for votes in May. Which means she believes that this kind of provocative, jarring, hackles-raising conduct is something her electorate like to see. Oh dear. I hope not. I really hope not.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

I can't disagree with that article. And he doesn't try and defend McVeigh's response.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 05, 2014, 07:15:53 AM
I can't disagree with that article. And he doesn't try and defend McVeigh's response.

I think his first two paragraphs (being essentially the same argument as McVeigh's) can be taken as something of a defence of McVeigh's argument.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

trueblue1234

Can't agree with the idea that this should be ignored or "not take the bait". It's akin to telling someone who is bullied to ignore it in the hope it stops. If it's not challenged then it won't change.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

johnneycool

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 05, 2014, 08:28:35 AM

Can't agree with the idea that this should be ignored or "not take the bait". It's akin to telling someone who is bullied to ignore it in the hope it stops. If it's not challenged then it won't change.

She wore it to get a rise out of the shinners, and it worked a treat. If they'd ignored her she wouldn't have gotten all this publicity that she craves for the knuckle dragging voters she's appealing to.

See the game for what it is.

Applesisapples

Why Ruth Patterson, friend of Wullie, Jamie and the neanderthal wing of loyalism is still in the DUP is beyond me. She makes Jim Allister look positively ecumenical. Perhaps Jim McVeigh should have ignored her, but where do you stop?

trueblue1234

Quote from: johnneycool on March 05, 2014, 09:10:19 AM

She wore it to get a rise out of the shinners, and it worked a treat. If they'd ignored her she wouldn't have gotten all this publicity that she craves for the knuckle dragging voters she's appealing to.

And if she doesn't get bored? If she thinks this is leeway to do as she likes and fcuk the consequences? That she'll be allowed to get away with something a bit bigger next time?

Do not agree with that at all.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

deiseach

I think the Shinners have it right here. Fleggy McFleggerson is clearly acting the maggot and she needs to be called out for it.

johnneycool

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 05, 2014, 09:15:24 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 05, 2014, 09:10:19 AM

And if she doesn't get bored? If she thinks this is leeway to do as she likes and fcuk the consequences? That she'll be allowed to get away with something a bit bigger next time?

Do not agree with that at all.

If she then comes in dressed as orange lille, then yes, apart from questioning her taste even the SDLP would have something to say you would have thought.

muppet

Imagine the response if a Lunfleg scarf appeared on Eastenders!
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on March 05, 2014, 09:16:30 AM
I think the Shinners have it right here. Fleggy McFleggerson is clearly acting the maggot and she needs to be called out for it.

Agree with this. Some of the horseshit that herself and her mates come out with need to be challenged. This whole thing of 'aren't they a gas bunch of eejits' is risky I think.

take_yer_points

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 05, 2014, 09:32:36 AM
Quote from: deiseach on March 05, 2014, 09:16:30 AM

Agree with this. Some of the horseshit that herself and her mates come out with need to be challenged. This whole thing of 'aren't they a gas bunch of eejits' is risky I think.

The perfect response would've been to laugh in her face, take out the camera phone, get a picture of her and get it onto social media

AZOffaly

I don't think so. Because then 'her' constituents would have seen her defending their culture in the face of Sinn FeinIRA.

glens abu

Hard to know on this one,can understand why the Shinners reacted the way they did but maybe if she had been ignored  she would have went away although I doubt it going on her past performances.Thinks its a case of damned if you do and damned if you dont.

take_yer_points

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 05, 2014, 09:37:15 AM
I don't think so. Because then 'her' constituents would have seen her defending their culture in the face of Sinn FeinIRA.

I think some of them may have thought that. But surely the majority would see an embarrassing middle aged woman making a tit out of herself and themmuns having a great laugh about her on facebook and twitter