Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on February 28, 2014, 03:27:01 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 27, 2014, 06:47:12 PM
So, apparently Gerry Kelly has dropped his civil action.
Good
Good!
Good?
Well of course it's good, but I don't believe for a minute that a man like Kelly, who appears reasonably intelligent, couldn't have foreseen the reasons he has given for dropping the case - "Issuing the writ seems to have increased local political tension and created an unwanted diversion from more pressing issues. So, in this instance I have decided not to pursue the case."

orangeman

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 01, 2014, 10:58:22 AM
Quote from: lawnseed on February 28, 2014, 03:27:01 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 27, 2014, 06:47:12 PM
So, apparently Gerry Kelly has dropped his civil action.
Good
Good!
Good?
Well of course it's good, but I don't believe for a minute that a man like Kelly, who appears reasonably intelligent, couldn't have foreseen the reasons he has given for dropping the case - "Issuing the writ seems to have increased local political tension and created an unwanted diversion from more pressing issues. So, in this instance I have decided not to pursue the case."

It's best to avoid creating political tension.

This wee case could have turned out very very nasty.

Best to drop it and leave sleeping dogs lie.

Maguire01

Who do you believe?

Sinn Féin Speak Out Of One Side Of Their Mouth At Home And Another To Their Wealthy Backers In The United States
Posted on March 3, 2014 | Comments Off

Fianna Fáil Senator Averil Power has accused Sinn Féin of speaking out of one side of their mouth in Ireland and another to their wealthy backers in the United States.

Her comments follow the decision by the party to refuse to take part in a cross-party video criticising the exclusion of LGBT groups from the main St Patrick's Day parade in New York and commending the organisers of the inclusive 'St Pats For All' event in the city.

In the end, the video went ahead with representatives from Fianna Fáil (Senator Power), Fine Gael (Jerry Buttimer TD), Labour (Senator Bacik) and the Independents (John Halligan TD).

According to Senator Power, "I was disappointed that Sinn Féin weren't willing to take part in the video but happy that we still had representatives of the four largest political groups. I had no intention of pointing out Sinn Féin's refusal to participate. However, when the party was questioned yesterday about why they hadn't taken part, I was accused by an official Sinn Féin twitter account of not having informed them at all about the video. When I pointed out that this wasn't true, the party later claimed that 'script issues' had led to their decision to drop out of the video.

"In the draft script sent to Sinn Féin on Thursday, the following line had been given to the Sinn Féin Spokesperson 'We commend the organisers of the St Pats for All parade and hope you have a great day celebrating the diversity and inclusiveness of today's Ireland.'

"I hadn't anticipated that they would have a problem with such a positive and simple statement but when it became clear to me that they weren't happy, I offered them a choice of any of the other lines in the video. I suggested that they could have the opening line that 'As Senators and Deputies from all of the main Irish political groups, we are committed to achieving full equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.' I also offered them the final line simply wishing the viewers a Happy St Patrick's Day.

I was then told that they didn't just have a problem with one line, rather they didn't agree with the overall message of the script and were not happy to participate at all in a video that used the word 'we' when criticising the main NYC parade for excluding LGBT groups. The whole point of the video was to send a unified message from all of the participants that the exclusion of the Irish-American LGBT community from the main NYC parade is wrong and that all St Patricks Day events should be open to everyone regardless of their gender, colour, creed or sexual orientation. Sinn Féin clearly weren't happy to be associated with that message in a video that would be seen in America. They are happy to condemn discrimination against LGBT people at home but they speak out of the other side of their mouth to their financial backers in the US", Senator Power concluded.
http://averilpower.ie/?p=5181

Fianna Fáil Senator's comments are dishonest and disappointing

Sinn Féin Spokesperson on Justice and Equality, Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has described comments from Fianna Fáil Senator Averil Power on the issue of why Sinn Féin withdrew their participation from a video she organised as "dishonest and disappointing".

Deputy Mac Lochlainn said:

"Last Tuesday 25th February, I received an email from Fianna Fáil Senator Averil Power in which she asked if I would take part in a video message on LGBT equality and the need for all St Patricks day celebrations to be inclusive.

"As I had a prior engagement last Thursday, my office called Senator Power's office the following day to confirm that our Seanad Spokesperson on Justice and Equality, Senator Trevor Ó Clochartaigh would take part in the video on behalf of Sinn Féin.

"However on the Thursday, Senator Ó Clochartaigh was given a written script from Senator Power with the words he and the other participants were to read out on the video.

"It was now clear from this written script that rather than the video presented to me and my party in her email, this was now a video endorsing one St Patrick's event in New York over another and that the video was clearly not an all-party initiative based on each party's policies in support of the LBGT community and inclusivity.

"Senator Ó Clochartaigh then relayed our concerns to Senator Power outlining that we objected to the last paragraph of her script, endorsing one St Patrick's celebratory event over another but we were happy to read any of the remaining script as presented. Unfortunately Senator Power refused to change her script and what Senator Ó Clochartaigh was to read out in the video so he had no choice but to withdraw his participation in the video.

"The attempts by Senator Power to misrepresent our party's reasons for withdrawing are dishonest and disappointing."
http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/29185

glens abu

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 03, 2014, 10:13:47 PM
Who do you believe?

Sinn Féin Speak Out Of One Side Of Their Mouth At Home And Another To Their Wealthy Backers In The United States
Posted on March 3, 2014 | Comments Off

Fianna Fáil Senator Averil Power has accused Sinn Féin of speaking out of one side of their mouth in Ireland and another to their wealthy backers in the United States.

Her comments follow the decision by the party to refuse to take part in a cross-party video criticising the exclusion of LGBT groups from the main St Patrick's Day parade in New York and commending the organisers of the inclusive 'St Pats For All' event in the city.

In the end, the video went ahead with representatives from Fianna Fáil (Senator Power), Fine Gael (Jerry Buttimer TD), Labour (Senator Bacik) and the Independents (John Halligan TD).

According to Senator Power, "I was disappointed that Sinn Féin weren't willing to take part in the video but happy that we still had representatives of the four largest political groups. I had no intention of pointing out Sinn Féin's refusal to participate. However, when the party was questioned yesterday about why they hadn't taken part, I was accused by an official Sinn Féin twitter account of not having informed them at all about the video. When I pointed out that this wasn't true, the party later claimed that 'script issues' had led to their decision to drop out of the video.

"In the draft script sent to Sinn Féin on Thursday, the following line had been given to the Sinn Féin Spokesperson 'We commend the organisers of the St Pats for All parade and hope you have a great day celebrating the diversity and inclusiveness of today's Ireland.'

"I hadn't anticipated that they would have a problem with such a positive and simple statement but when it became clear to me that they weren't happy, I offered them a choice of any of the other lines in the video. I suggested that they could have the opening line that 'As Senators and Deputies from all of the main Irish political groups, we are committed to achieving full equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.' I also offered them the final line simply wishing the viewers a Happy St Patrick's Day.

I was then told that they didn't just have a problem with one line, rather they didn't agree with the overall message of the script and were not happy to participate at all in a video that used the word 'we' when criticising the main NYC parade for excluding LGBT groups. The whole point of the video was to send a unified message from all of the participants that the exclusion of the Irish-American LGBT community from the main NYC parade is wrong and that all St Patricks Day events should be open to everyone regardless of their gender, colour, creed or sexual orientation. Sinn Féin clearly weren't happy to be associated with that message in a video that would be seen in America. They are happy to condemn discrimination against LGBT people at home but they speak out of the other side of their mouth to their financial backers in the US", Senator Power concluded.
http://averilpower.ie/?p=5181

Fianna Fáil Senator's comments are dishonest and disappointing

Sinn Féin Spokesperson on Justice and Equality, Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has described comments from Fianna Fáil Senator Averil Power on the issue of why Sinn Féin withdrew their participation from a video she organised as "dishonest and disappointing".

Deputy Mac Lochlainn said:

"Last Tuesday 25th February, I received an email from Fianna Fáil Senator Averil Power in which she asked if I would take part in a video message on LGBT equality and the need for all St Patricks day celebrations to be inclusive.

"As I had a prior engagement last Thursday, my office called Senator Power's office the following day to confirm that our Seanad Spokesperson on Justice and Equality, Senator Trevor Ó Clochartaigh would take part in the video on behalf of Sinn Féin.

"However on the Thursday, Senator Ó Clochartaigh was given a written script from Senator Power with the words he and the other participants were to read out on the video.

"It was now clear from this written script that rather than the video presented to me and my party in her email, this was now a video endorsing one St Patrick's event in New York over another and that the video was clearly not an all-party initiative based on each party's policies in support of the LBGT community and inclusivity.

"Senator Ó Clochartaigh then relayed our concerns to Senator Power outlining that we objected to the last paragraph of her script, endorsing one St Patrick's celebratory event over another but we were happy to read any of the remaining script as presented. Unfortunately Senator Power refused to change her script and what Senator Ó Clochartaigh was to read out in the video so he had no choice but to withdraw his participation in the video.

"The attempts by Senator Power to misrepresent our party's reasons for withdrawing are dishonest and disappointing."
http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/29185

SF have always supported the LGBT community and at this years Ard Fheis motions were passed in support of them as well as contributions from many within the party.There were many foreign dignitaries in attendance including from America so therefore would have to believe SF on this occasion.

lawnseed

When sinn fein are running the place we'll send the scripts
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Rossfan

Quote from: glens abu on March 04, 2014, 09:22:14 AM
would have to believe SF on this occasion.
When was the last time you disbelieved anything from them I wonder ?  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Saffrongael

Quote from: Rossfan on March 04, 2014, 11:00:04 AM

glens Abu in obedient lapdog shocker
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

glens abu

Not often to be honest but sure I dont make any bones about it.Sinn Fein Abu.

give her dixie

A Sinn Fein motion is as useful as a chocolate fire gaurd. Sure they passed one to boycott
Caterpillar and it was completely ignored by Paul Maskey and Martin McGuinness, who also went to the factory and spoke in glowing terms about a company who have made life hell on earth for the Palestinians. But hey, they bring along a Stooge from the Palestinian Authority every year to the Ard Fheis who gives a wee speech to all and finishes with a "Tiocfaid Ar La" to please the audience.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Maguire01

Quote from: glens abu on March 04, 2014, 01:32:31 PM

Not often to be honest but sure I dont make any bones about it.Sinn Fein Abu.
I think it's the "on this occasion" that amused.

As for the issue, SF aren't normally found wanting on LGBT issues, but their explanation of this incident doesn't convince.

Maguire01

Row as Ruth Patterson puts on Linfield scarf at Belfast City Council meeting

A row has broken out at Belfast City Council after a DUP councillor put on a Linfield football scarf.

Sinn Féin objected after the DUP's Ruth Patterson put on the scarf while speaking on a motion calling on the council to honour outgoing Linfield manager David Jeffrey.

Sinn Féin councillor Jim McVeigh said their objection was not to the motion, but to the wearing of the scarf.

The issue has been sent for discussion to a council committee.

The monthly meeting of the council on Monday was held up for more than 10 minutes as a result of complaints from Mr McVeigh.

The deputy lord mayor Christopher Stalford, who was chairing the meeting at the time, dismissed the complaints and told him: "Sit down and stop acting like a petulant child".

Mr McVeigh rejected the comment.

He asked for clarification from council officials on whether or not a Linfield scarf should be allowed to be worn by members at an official council meeting.

Alderman Stalford refused to consult officials and moved on.

The decision on whether or not to honour record-breaking David Jeffrey, who is standing down as Linfield manager at the end of the season, was sent for discussion to a council committee.

In spite of the row over the scarf, it seems likely to win widespread support on the council.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26428051

Now I wouldn't have expected any more from Patterson (who no doubt is a dedicated football enthusiast and a Linfield season ticket holder, given that she couldn't even get the manager's name right), but you'd think McVeigh would have more sense than to take the bait.

Apparently so

Changes really need to be made in the North. Both Sinn Fein and the DUP are hopeless and an utter embarrassment

f**king wise up ya shower of shite and just try to make a go of running the place

Tubberman

Another example of the "new politics" Lawnseed and the Gang are going to implement to save the Republic.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

That's probably the maddest thing I've heard, objecting to a scarf! And the motion itself wasn't even passed either, but sent on to a Committee. Jesus, you couldn't make it up.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Tubberman on March 04, 2014, 08:16:56 PM
Another example of the "new politics" Lawnseed and the Gang are going to implement to save the Republic.

I think criticism of attire in a political chamber would hardly be new territory in the 26 counties. Just ask Ming or Mick.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore