Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

Quote from: muppet on November 27, 2013, 10:48:21 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on November 27, 2013, 10:22:26 AM
Quote from: glens abu on November 26, 2013, 06:14:36 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 26, 2013, 04:41:52 PM
I can't make my mind up about Adams. On the one hand I recognise that he had to be on the inside to deliver the peace process. Credit also to him and McGuiness they were at it since 1972. His TV personality is grating though and I find it hard to take him seriously. I also can't fathom why he denies IRA membership, when quite clearly the Brits wouldn't have engaged with him in the '70's had he not been involved. I have some sympathy over the situation with the neice, however SF's attitude to Cardinal Brady was a little hypocritical.
I also think that SF have kind of lost their way and opened up the field to this whole NI identity thing. If they aren't careful the little Northern Irelanders in the SDLP will peg them back.

Keep saying it and thought by this time you would have grasped it,should everyone who was in the IRA walk into a police station admit it and risk being locked up.The only people who admit they were in the RA are those who have already served time for it,Touts like Sean O Callaghan,and drunks in a bar talking s###e.
Im sparticus..  Wait a few years it'll be like 1916 sure the half of dubin fought in the GPO

Indeed there will be all sorts of people claiming bragging rights, mandates and moral justification from 1916.
indeed the good Friday agreement has had more 'involvies' than would fill croke park.. no matter who snuffs it they were key to the success of the gfa.  ::)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Nally Stand

Update on the saintliness of the Old IRA: Not only did they never kill innocents/disappear people/rob banks etc, but they also were very, very relieved when their attempts to kill british agents were unsuccessful, such was their saintliness. So former minister David Andrews left me to believe last night on TV3. After pontificating about the evil of the Provos, he talked with a proud glint in his eye, of how his father (who was also Ryan Tubs grandfather) went out with his IRA comrades to kill (and stressed that he meant 'kill', not 'murder'), a british agent at his home, but it turned out that the agent was not at home..... "much to my fathers relief" says David.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

lawnseed

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 03, 2013, 03:34:58 PM
Update on the saintliness of the Old IRA: Not only did they never kill innocents/disappear people/rob banks etc, but they also were very, very relieved when their attempts to kill british agents were unsuccessful, such was their saintliness. So former minister David Andrews left me to believe last night on TV3. After pontificating about the evil of the Provos, he talked with a proud glint in his eye, of how his father (who was also Ryan Tubs grandfather) went out with his IRA comrades to kill (and stressed that he meant 'kill', not 'murder'), a british agent at his home, but it turned out that the agent was not at home..... "much to my fathers relief" says David.
don't tell me.. he fought in the gpo aswell ::)

Nally Stand

Quote from: lawnseed on December 03, 2013, 03:58:58 PM

Don't know off hand. He probably didn't load his gun if he was there though.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Rossfan

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 03, 2013, 04:08:21 PM

I wonder did he ever keep any allegations of child abuse to himself?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lawnseed

Quote from: Rossfan on December 03, 2013, 04:23:44 PM

I wonder did he ever keep any allegations of chuild abuse to himself?
I wonder if you have any family problems you'd like to share proven or unproven

Applesisapples

I wonder will the Shinners and the Stoops support this new fleg?

Rossfan

Quote from: lawnseed on December 03, 2013, 05:14:49 PM

I'm not a holier than thou leader of anything.
If Cardinal Brady isn't fit to be leader of the Church..... a point vehemently made by many of a SF leaning on this board.... does the same apply all round or is it a case of  :-X :-X :-X

lawnseed

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 03, 2013, 05:19:51 PM
I wonder will the Shinners and the Stoops support this new fleg?
tell us more apples

Nally Stand

Quote from: Rossfan on December 03, 2013, 05:24:26 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on December 03, 2013, 05:14:49 PM

I'm not a holier than thou leader of anything.
If Cardinal Brady isn't fit to be leader of the Church..... a point vehemently made by many of a SF leaning on this board.... does the same apply all round or is it a case of  :-X :-X :-X
Neither was David Andrew's father, so your post was just a quick piece of subject changing.

Rossfan

No  - just sticking to a SF related theme on this Sinn Fein thread. ;)
Just as well you're not a member or supporter of that Party  ;)

lawnseed

heading to the launch of Gerry kellys new book should be a bit of craic 8)

Maguire01

Aengus is down with the kids. Almost. (And if it was 2011.)

http://www.thejournal.ie/dail-amazeballs-aengus-o-snodaigh-1207968-Dec2013/

As the kids would probably say - #epicfail #facepalm

Maguire01

SF TD hints at party exit as anger with Adams grows

NIALL O'CONNOR POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT – 10 DECEMBER 2013

SINN FEIN looks set to lose one of its most promising TDs in what will prove to be a huge blow to under-fire leader Gerry Adams.

The Irish Independent can reveal that Meath West TD Peadar Toibin has told his supporters that he is likely to quit the party in the new year.

In a clear indication of his dissatisfaction with the Sinn Fein leader, Mr Toibin last night contradicted Mr Adams's shocking comments about the deaths of two RUC officers.

Mr Toibin rejected outright Mr Adams's claim that Chief Superintendent Harry Breen and Superintendent Bob Buchanan displayed a "laissez faire" approach to their safety prior to their savage murder in 1989.

"I don't believe it's ever correct to say that two police officers were murdered because of their own actions. These men's deaths were not determined by their own actions but the actions of the IRA. The IRA is responsible for the murder of these two men, not the officers themselves," he told the Irish Independent.

Mr Toibin's rebuke came as sources in Meath West confirmed that he was preparing to leave the party. While he did not want to comment on the matter last night, well-placed sources said he had already held talks with members of other parties.

Mr Toibin, who is one of the Dail's youngest TDs, was suspended by Sinn Fein in July after voting against the contentious abortion measures.

Sinn Fein figures believed he would return in the new year; however, it has emerged that Mr Toibin has engaged in serious discussion with senior Fianna Fail figures about a potential move to Micheal Martin's party.

Sources in Meath West have said that Mr Toibin is likely to vote against Sinn Fein again in relation to two private members' bills on the issue of abortion.

"Peadar is prepared to vote in line with his conscience. That will mean he will defy the party again," said a well-placed source.

The news of Mr Toibin's expected defection will prove to be a major blow for Mr Adams, who is due to travel to South Africa tomorrow to attend memorial events for Nelson Mandela.

While Mr Adams has received the backing of some of his TDs, others, such as deputy leader Mary Lou McDonald and finance spokesperson Pearse Doherty, did not respond to a request for comment last night.

Dublin North West TD Dessie Ellis refused to support the use of the phrase "laissez faire" by Mr Adams, but said the two officers had been "lax" in relation to their security.

"I know the area and you don't get away with that, even the Brits themselves wouldn't travel like that," he said.

Padraig McLoughlin, Caoimhghin O Caolain, Brian Stanley, Jonathan O'Brien, Martin Ferris and Sean Crowe all said they supported their leader's remarks.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sf-td-hints-at-party-exit-as-anger-with-adams-grows-29823286.html

Peadar has denied the above on Twitter.

Applesisapples

Whether this report is correct or not, the silence from many within SF on this latest Adams gaffe speaks volumes. I think it is inevitable that if SF spokes-persons continue to make statements of this nature, which belong in the past, they will lose votes.