Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 30, 2013, 12:09:11 PM
Miriam's introduction to the show last night:

"The bloodshed is largely a thing of the past. However for those who were victims of that violence and their families, the pain and loss never goes away, and many are still seeking answers. No one has a monopoly on loss or grief in this bloody conflict. All sides suffered. Tonight though on Primetime, we are focusing on the actions of Republicans".

There's a shock  ::) I think what she meant to say was "No one has a monopoly on loss or grief in this bloody conflict. All sides suffered - however only some of these victims matter here at RTÉ. So tonight on Primetime, we are, as always, focusing on the actions of Republicans".

Republicans calling on republicans who fought (regardless of what they did) to be honoured are also focusing on the actions of Republicans. I don't see you criticising that, in fact quite the opposite.
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on April 30, 2013, 12:19:43 PM

"The bloodshed is largely a thing of the past. However for those who were victims of that violence and their families, the pain and loss never goes away, and many are still seeking answers. No one has a monopoly on loss or grief in this bloody conflict. All sides suffered. Tonight though on Primetime, we are focusing on the actions of Republicans".

There's a shock  ::) I think what she meant to say was "No one has a monopoly on loss or grief in this bloody conflict. All sides suffered - however only some of these victims matter here at RTÉ. So tonight on Primetime, we are, as always, focusing on the actions of Republicans".

Republicans calling on republicans who fought (regardless of what they did) to be honoured are also focusing on the actions of Republicans. I don't see you criticising that, in fact quite the opposite.

Elected republicans can call for whatever they want to call for. They are elected politicians and being politically biased to their own opinions is their job. They are not the state broadcaster. When Miriam or RTÉ dedicate regular shows to victims of british security force violence, then I'll say nothing more and accept them as a credible, impartial broadcaster.

P.S. When you say, "quite the opposite"....I assume you will have no problem sticking up a quote up from me where I said that that "republicans (regardless of what they did) should be honoured".
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Hardy

The thing is, former members of the British security forces are not sitting in, or seeking election to the Dáil.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Hardy on April 30, 2013, 12:35:22 PM
The thing is, former members of the British security forces are not sitting in, or seeking election to the Dáil.
I wonder why nobody from the Labour party ever gets much of a going over from RTÉ about their past. Hmmm.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Hardy

glens abu

Just watched Prime time on i player and thought Gerry had Miriam in a spin as usual.The families who want apologies should get them and those who search for the truth should be helped in every way and I have no doubt Gerry will help them were he can.

Rossfan

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 30, 2013, 12:51:14 PM
Quote from: Hardy on April 30, 2013, 12:35:22 PM
I wonder why nobody from the Labour party ever gets much of a going over from RTÉ about their past. Hmmm.

They probably don't want to upset the lads who own the Printing £ machines  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 30, 2013, 12:30:35 PM

Elected republicans can call for whatever they want to call for. They are elected politicians and being politically biased to their own opinions is their job. They are not the state broadcaster. When Miriam or RTÉ dedicate regular shows to victims of british security force violence, then I'll say nothing more and accept them as a credible, impartial broadcaster.

P.S. When you say, "quite the opposite"....I assume you will have no problem sticking up a quote up from me where I said that that "republicans (regardless of what they did) should be honoured".

Your argument is that elected officials can call on what they want, but journalists can't? I guess the Shinners aren't big into freedom of the press then.

And you defended Adams' call for those who fought to be honoured, without exception. Therefore 'quite the opposite' is appropriate. The search function isn't working or I would list many where you did this.
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on April 30, 2013, 07:39:51 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on April 30, 2013, 12:30:35 PM

Your argument is that elected officials can call on what they want, but journalists can't? I guess the Shinners aren't big into freedom of the press then.

And you defended Adams' call for those who fought to be honoured, without exception. Therefore 'quite the opposite' is appropriate. The search function isn't working or I would list many where you did this.
No, my argument ia that journalists for the state broadcaster have to show political balance and impartiality. Politicians don't. Again, politicians are not the state broadcaster. RTÉ are. And as for the search function, I look forward to it being rectified. Though if there are "many" instances where I "defended Adams' call for those who fought to be honoured, without exception" then surely you can find just one of them by yourself without a lot of trouble?

muppet

You definition of 'impartiality & balance' means not focusing on the actions of Republicans when discussing Republicans. When discussing Fianna Fáil should they not focus on the actions of FFers?

This is a particularly idiotic line of argument.

Now, to save me the hassle while search is down, do you support Adams' call for all those who fought for Irish freedom to be honoured or not?

MWWSI 2017

lynchbhoy

My guess as to why miriam ocallaghan always seems imbalanced or anti sf / anti republican in her supposedly professional capacity is down to a lingering issue she has with her ex husband who has republican tainted views but in spite of this always comes across as the consumate professional unlike his ex bird!

As for adams calling for republicans who fought for Irish freedom to be honoured- pity it was him who said it, but it is a good idea.

The 1916 anniversary might come too soon for more recent candidates to be included, but in time they all will - as at one point in time the 1916 people were not held in high regard either, so expect when the raw recent feeling has subsided, they will all be venerated.
Prob in the reunified Ireland at that stage!

muppet

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 30, 2013, 09:23:52 PM
My guess as to why miriam ocallaghan always seems imbalanced or anti sf / anti republican in her supposedly professional capacity is down to a lingering issue she has with her ex husband who has republican tainted views but in spite of this always comes across as the consumate professional unlike his ex bird!

As for adams calling for republicans who fought for Irish freedom to be honoured- pity it was him who said it, but it is a good idea.

The 1916 anniversary might come too soon for more recent candidates to be included, but in time they all will - as at one point in time the 1916 people were not held in high regard either, so expect when the raw recent feeling has subsided, they will all be venerated.

You see this is a reasonable line of argument. Calling for people to be honoured while the families of their innocent victims are still alive is completely different from doing it 100 years later. Even Saints have to wait to be canonised.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 30, 2013, 09:23:52 PM

Even those who killed Ronan Kerr?

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on April 30, 2013, 09:11:08 PM
You definition of 'impartiality & balance' means not focusing on the actions of Republicans when discussing Republicans. When discussing Fianna Fáil should they not focus on the actions of FFers?
This is a particularly idiotic line of argument.
No, my issue is not the discussion "of Republicans when discussing Republicans", my point is that when it comes to the war in the north, RTÉ, and in particularly Miriam O'Callaghan, would have us all believe that there was no conflict between different sides, but just a thirty year campaign of random murders by the IRA, and that Adams or McGuinness knows the circumstances behind each and every death. This is not balanced reporting. Again, a politician is not a state broadcaster. A state broadcaster is supposed to be impartial. Bringing on an elected politician and accusing him of being responsible for the death of a named individual, without a single, solitary SHRED of evidence, as Miriam O'Callaghan did last night, is not impartial and balanced journalism from the state broadcaster. Have you ever wondered why RTÉ don't seem too bothered about the pasts of certain Labour Party individuals?

Quote from: muppet on April 30, 2013, 09:11:08 PM
Now, to save me the hassle while search is down, do you support Adams' call for all those who fought for Irish freedom to be honoured or not?
By all means, wait until the search function comes back. I'm looking forward to see what it turns up. What sort of honour do you have in mind anyway?

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 30, 2013, 10:31:24 PM
Bringing on an elected politician and accusing him of being responsible for the death of a named individual, without a single, solitary SHRED of evidence, as Miriam O'Callaghan did last night, is not impartial and balanced journalism from the state broadcaster.
Do you think she'd be worried that Gerry might sue for libel?