Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 14, 2013, 12:29:42 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on April 14, 2013, 10:46:14 AM
he should have lifted the podium and smashed it on the floor and gave the gimp kenny his marching orders "gather up your shit and get to fuk out!"
Ah yes, democracy Shinner style!

They haven't a deomocratic bone in their bodies.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 15, 2013, 02:39:55 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 14, 2013, 12:29:42 PM
he should have lifted the podium and smashed it on the floor and gave the gimp kenny his marching orders "gather up your shit and get to fuk out!"
Ah yes, democracy Shinner style!

They haven't a deomocratic bone in their bodies.
we dont know if they do or dont. it is a puppet government in the north, and if they were not democratic, then they would fit in well with fg and ff in the dail !
then again I dont have faith in any party, just think there are a couple of dozen decent politicians in the dail. Barely enough to make up a govenment between them.

glens abu

This could also apply the the lovers of Collins or Dev.

know, I know - one shouldn't keep beating out the same old tune on a drum. But I've just heard  a short bit of The Nolan Show and consistency has elbowed its way once more to the front of my thoughts.

William Crawley (presenting in place of Stephen Nolan) had Gerry Kelly and Jeffrey Donaldson on, and William queried Gerry  about the fact that some delegates at the Sinn Féin Ard Fheis were wearing badges saying 'Sniper at work' .  Gerry's response was that he hadn't seen them, that he wouldn't wear one himself, and that the media seemed to be very interested in this matter while rather less focused on unionist attitudes to commemoration of the Ulster Covenant,   Larne gun-running and related events. Jeffrey not surprisingly disagreed. He said it showed that there were still unreconstructed elements within republicanism intent on "rewriting history...It is wrong to glorify those who took life during the Troubles".

On the face of it, a credible stance. But then (as I suspect Gerry Kelly began to say with five seconds in which to say it), there's this old consistency thing. If it's glorifying the taking of human life to wear a badge with 'Sniper at work', what is it when you devote most of a year to men who threatened force and smuggled in guns under the benign gaze of the RIC in the early part of the last century?  If it's wrong to glorify (such a big word for a badge) republicans who took life during the Troubles, it must surely be equally wrong to glorify members of the UDR by constructing monuments to them in Lisburn, for example. Or to glorify the British Army which shot down fourteen innocent people in Derry. Or to rejoice in victory at a battle that happened over three hundred years ago.

I accept that Jeffrey is sincere in his wish that violence shouldn't be glorified. He is, after all, a committed Christian. But either he is being

selective in his condemnation of those who engaged in violence or he has a terribly, terribly bad memory. Consistency, Jeffrey. Try it. You'll like it.

johnneycool

unionist politicians still believe that the UDR, RUC and British Army were a source of good here and will not listen to anything otherwise hence the re-writing of history comments a lot of them trot out all of the time now.
They still don't see that there was a lot of bad that came with these groups as they were never on the receiving end.

muppet

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 15, 2013, 12:34:17 PM
then again I dont have faith in any party, just think there are a couple of dozen decent politicians in the dail. Barely enough to make up a govenment between them.

Sadly I think this is almost always the case in every Dáil.

The US system of the elected ones vetting and appointing someone from the field might be a better way to go.
MWWSI 2017

lynchbhoy

Quote from: muppet on April 15, 2013, 03:55:46 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 15, 2013, 12:34:17 PM

Sadly I think this is almost always the case in every Dáil.

The US system of the elected ones vetting and appointing someone from the field might be a better way to go.
dont know much about the us system, but it couldnt be any worse than ours

completely agree with you on your first point

Maguire01

Quote from: glens abu on April 15, 2013, 01:16:09 PM
William Crawley (presenting in place of Stephen Nolan) had Gerry Kelly and Jeffrey Donaldson on, and William queried Gerry  about the fact that some delegates at the Sinn Féin Ard Fheis were wearing badges saying 'Sniper at work' .  Gerry's response was that he hadn't seen them, that he wouldn't wear one himself, and that the media seemed to be very interested in this matter while rather less focused on unionist attitudes to commemoration of the Ulster Covenant,   Larne gun-running and related events. Jeffrey not surprisingly disagreed. He said it showed that there were still unreconstructed elements within republicanism intent on "rewriting history...It is wrong to glorify those who took life during the Troubles".
The likes of the 'sniper' badge being on sale at an Ard Fheis is very poor form for a party that keeps on talking about reconciliation. It gives it opponents an open goal. And it's not just the badge - the party's website has plenty of IRA memorabilia - an IRA Mug (New Design) - looks like they're still making new products to glorify the troubles. Hardly the image of a party supposedly committed to democracy and reconciliation.

glens abu

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 15, 2013, 05:58:27 PM
The likes of the 'sniper' badge being on sale at an Ard Fheis is very poor form for a party that keeps on talking about reconciliation. It gives it opponents an open goal. And it's not just the badge - the party's website has plenty of IRA memorabilia - an IRA Mug (New Design) - looks like they're still making new products to glorify the troubles. Hardly the image of a party supposedly committed to democracy and reconciliation.

Our history,it hasn't gone away you know

orangeman

It's really no big deal if SF are selling Sniper at Work badges, IRA mugs, SF toilet roll holders or whatever else is on sale.

But the ironyI am sure isn't lost on a lot of people, not least Mc Guinness.

Mc Guinness says in relation to the unionists -

"But the enemy of this process in many ways is not from outside. They have failed to damage the Agreement by pointless, sporadic armed actions – but instead by those within the process looking inward instead of outward – looking back instead of forward – playing safe and aiming low instead of seeking to deliver on the ambitions and aspirations of those who elect us."

Also - " "Unionist Ministers are in government with Sinn Féin because they have to be.", the inference being that SF are in government cos they "want" to be.

Meanwhile the party that is selling badges, mugs etc accuse their opponents of looking back instead of forward and inward instead of outward.

Mc Guinness is right about the unionists. But he can't have have his cake and eat it by simply saying that he wouldn't buy a badge.

Once upon a time there were promises of not an inch, not a bullet.

We all know how that ended.

Surely a few wee badges won't hurt anyone ? Or getting rid of the merchandise stand at the Ard Fheis in future ?

It shows how petty the unionists ( and SF opponents ) are being about this issue if that's all they have to cry about and to an extent the successes of SF politically.

I'd say the Sniper badges and IRA mugs will be for sale in other outlets shortly, separate from SF, in the same way that SF and the IRA separated.

lawnseed

vasily zaitsev didnt have to listen to this crap, its just a badge. a wee jibe at the brits. 
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

lynchbhoy

Quote from: orangeman on April 15, 2013, 09:01:37 PM
It's really no big deal if SF are selling Sniper at Work badges, IRA mugs, SF toilet roll holders or whatever else is on sale.

But the ironyI am sure isn't lost on a lot of people, not least Mc Guinness.

Mc Guinness says in relation to the unionists -

"But the enemy of this process in many ways is not from outside. They have failed to damage the Agreement by pointless, sporadic armed actions – but instead by those within the process looking inward instead of outward – looking back instead of forward – playing safe and aiming low instead of seeking to deliver on the ambitions and aspirations of those who elect us."

Also - " "Unionist Ministers are in government with Sinn Féin because they have to be.", the inference being that SF are in government cos they "want" to be.

Meanwhile the party that is selling badges, mugs etc accuse their opponents of looking back instead of forward and inward instead of outward.

Mc Guinness is right about the unionists. But he can't have have his cake and eat it by simply saying that he wouldn't buy a badge.

Once upon a time there were promises of not an inch, not a bullet.

We all know how that ended.

Surely a few wee badges won't hurt anyone ? Or getting rid of the merchandise stand at the Ard Fheis in future ?

It shows how petty the unionists ( and SF opponents ) are being about this issue if that's all they have to cry about and to an extent the successes of SF politically.

I'd say the Sniper badges and IRA mugs will be for sale in other outlets shortly, separate from SF, in the same way that SF and the IRA separated.
fer fux sake - sf are not the IRA.
please dont tarnish the good name of the 'RA by equating them with the shinners!
yes there are a lot of ex IRA folk and sympathisers in sf, but they are not the same thing.

not a bullet , not an inch was the motto - it ended up getting some semblence of equality and power sharing - therefore the armed struggle could be halted.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: lawnseed on April 15, 2013, 09:56:59 PM
vasily zaitsev didnt have to listen to this crap, its just a badge. a wee jibe at the brits.

Clueless clowns will never get into power in Dublin while you continue to be so profoundly ignorant.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

glens abu

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 15, 2013, 11:26:06 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on April 15, 2013, 09:56:59 PM

Clueless clowns will never get into power in Dublin while you continue to be so profoundly ignorant.

Never say never kid,big Ian said that and look what happened ;)

Applesisapples

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 14, 2013, 12:31:33 PM
the shinners could have dressed up a bit for the telly especially the afternoon session i was looking for pyjamas (john o dowd was immaculate). it all sounded good but down the ranks the party is very lightweight, and whats wrong with Michelle oneill?
I think you need to get a room!

As for what's wrong with O'Neill? It's simple - she has been promoted way beyond her capability.
But not as lightweight or annoying as Martina Anderson.

Applesisapples

This could also apply the the lovers of Collins or Dev.

know, I know - one shouldn't keep beating out the same old tune on a drum. But I've just heard  a short bit of The Nolan Show and consistency has elbowed its way once more to the front of my thoughts.

On the face of it, a credible stance. But then (as I suspect Gerry Kelly began to say with five seconds in which to say it), there's this old consistency thing. If it's glorifying the taking of human life to wear a badge with 'Sniper at work', what is it when you devote most of a year to men who threatened force and smuggled in guns under the benign gaze of the RIC in the early part of the last century?  If it's wrong to glorify (such a big word for a badge) republicans who took life during the Troubles, it must surely be equally wrong to glorify members of the UDR by constructing monuments to them in Lisburn, for example. Or to glorify the British Army which shot down fourteen innocent people in Derry. Or to rejoice in victory at a battle that happened over three hundred years ago.

I accept that Jeffrey is sincere in his wish that violence shouldn't be glorified. He is, after all, a committed Christian. But either he is being

selective in his condemnation of those who engaged in violence or he has a terribly, terribly bad memory. Consistency, Jeffrey. Try it. You'll like it.
The winners get to write the history and the Unionists won in 1922 and they are winning still. Hence the only reprehensible and unjustified violence comes from the Nationalist side as it is against the state and therefore treason. This ain't going to change any time soon.