Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Itchy on February 25, 2013, 04:22:38 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 25, 2013, 05:23:32 AM
You asked am I ashamed to be Irish.

Because I disagree with a stunt from Gerry Adams?

That question is beneath contempt and you should be ashamed of yourself for asking any Irishman that. Who are you to tell me or anyone else how to be Irish?

Here is the question again - Gerry Adams name is not even in it so stop being such a coward and answer it...

Just wondering, would it be ok to remember all who died for independence if we drew a line at 1922? If not why not?

It is already done. That is why we have the Garden of Remembrance. Whether I think it right or not is irrelevant. Our democracy has done it.

Last week Adams tweeted the following:

Gerry Adams ‏@GerryAdamsSF
Raised plight of Front Line workers with T & his attitude 2them v Golden Circles. Met some of survivors of Magdalenes.A great honour 4 me.

If he were serious about a worthy commemoration he might have suggested those women and there would have been very little protests, certainly none from me. And there would be no victims' families, friends and colleagues to offend either.
MWWSI 2017

Itchy

I note you didn't answer the question, that is your right of course.

I'm also sure if you asked Gerry or any other party leader they would be in favour of remembering all victims of clerical abuse.

lawnseed

the way this thread is developing is exactly why i think gerry should step aside. no matter what the subject concerning sinn fein it turns into a credibility side-show about gerrys past. this in terms of being the party leader is unfair to adams since his leadership has never been challanged in any meaningful way. therefore it is ok to presume that the party have confidence in him even though members may murmer. contrast this with enda kenny who was challanged even though the election was in the bag. to be fair to gerry he has never hidden away unlike enda who took to the cupboard for 2 weeks before the election just incase he blew it. how do you tell a man who has spent the last 30 years working under a death theat to improve the republican cause that he has become a liability?  :-\
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

muppet

Quote from: Itchy on February 25, 2013, 06:35:39 PM
I note you didn't answer the question, that is your right of course.

I'm also sure if you asked Gerry or any other party leader they would be in favour of remembering all victims of clerical abuse.

First point, I did answer the question though not as you expected. It is moot as the Garden of Remembrance already exists.

Second point, a good idea is a good idea. If Gerry suggested it I would still think it worthy. The only caveat is a public holiday is probably a non-runner in times of austerity, too expensive for employers. But I would agree something should be done no matter who suggests it.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on February 25, 2013, 07:31:37 PM
to be fair to gerry he has never hidden away unlike enda who took to the cupboard for 2 weeks before the election just incase he blew it.
If only Gerry had thought of that in 2007.

Applesisapples

Quote from: glens abu on February 25, 2013, 12:06:30 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on February 25, 2013, 11:06:48 AM
Adams for all the good work he put in leading to the GFA has become an embarrassing parody. His tweets about gay teddies may have been meant to be humorous, but they are actually patronising and insulting to the gay community. His continued protesting not being an IRA member also impacts on his credibility. Any call for a day to recognise those who gave their lives for Irish freedom is premature as the cause for which so many died has not been realised, due in no small part to the GFA. Furthermore any commemoration of such people would be divisive and to my mind just copying the Orange Order who irrespective of nationalist feelings hold parades to commemorate UDR etc... Sure we can't even agree with ourselves on 1916/22...Take it down from the masts and all that. To get back to Adams, he may well have not been in an active Service Unit but I have no doubt he was involved at some level in the Army Council so any denial is just splitting hairs.

For Gods sake will you get over yourself.When have you ever heard anyone say they were in the IRA other than those who have served time for being a member of that organisation,a tout like Sean O'Callaghan or barstool Republicans bumming about what they did in the war.
McGuinness has no problem.

glens abu

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 26, 2013, 10:17:39 AM
Adams for all the good work he put in leading to the GFA has become an embarrassing parody. His tweets about gay teddies may have been meant to be humorous, but they are actually patronising and insulting to the gay community. His continued protesting not being an IRA member also impacts on his credibility. Any call for a day to recognise those who gave their lives for Irish freedom is premature as the cause for which so many died has not been realised, due in no small part to the GFA. Furthermore any commemoration of such people would be divisive and to my mind just copying the Orange Order who irrespective of nationalist feelings hold parades to commemorate UDR etc... Sure we can't even agree with ourselves on 1916/22...Take it down from the masts and all that. To get back to Adams, he may well have not been in an active Service Unit but I have no doubt he was involved at some level in the Army Council so any denial is just splitting hairs.

For Gods sake will you get over yourself.When have you ever heard anyone say they were in the IRA other than those who have served time for being a member of that organisation,a tout like Sean O'Callaghan or barstool Republicans bumming about what they did in the war.

Read my post he was jailed for membership.

glens abu

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 26, 2013, 10:17:39 AM

In 1973, he was convicted by the Republic of Ireland's Special Criminal Court, after being arrested near a car containing 250 lb (113 kg) of explosives and nearly 5,000 rounds of ammunition. He refused to recognise the court, and was sentenced to six months imprisonment. In court, he declared his membership of the Provisional IRA without equivocation: 'We have fought against the killing of our people... I am a member of Óglaigh na hÉireann and very, very proud of it'.[13]

Applesisapples

Glens, as a SF supporter and probably from your posts a member if not an elected Representative, your promotion of the party line is admirable. However I am voter who has in the past voted SF. I am however not emamoured by Gerry's denials and gay teddy tweets. I am also some what put off by SF's recent antic's on the border poll not to mention their lack of performance in Stormont and courtship of the DUP. if you want people like me to vote for your party then you can not dismiss my concerns in the way that you have.

Hardy

muppet

MWWSI 2017

glens abu

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 26, 2013, 02:19:49 PM
Glens, as a SF supporter and probably from your posts a member if not an elected Representative, your promotion of the party line is admirable. However I am voter who has in the past voted SF. I am however not emamoured by Gerry's denials and gay teddy tweets. I am also some what put off by SF's recent antic's on the border poll not to mention their lack of performance in Stormont and courtship of the DUP. if you want people like me to vote for your party then you can not dismiss my concerns in the way that you have.

Yip Apples just a paid up card carrying member and no one is dismissing your concerns but it gets a bit tedious harping on about Gerry's denial regarding IRA membership.I told you in a previous post the only people who will admit this are either ex-pows,touts,or barstoll drunks.Why on earth would Gerry or anyone else for that matter say they were in the RA, risk jail and then the ongoing crap[how long were you a member,what did you do,what did you order,who else was in it,what did they do,etc;ect;]As for the teddies think we all need to lighten up a little.

Hardy

Quote from: glens abu on February 27, 2013, 09:24:32 AMWhy on earth would Gerry or anyone else for that matter say they were in the RA, risk jail and then the ongoing crap ...

I'll take your point on this until the next time you criticise a politician from another party.

I mean, why on earth should Michael Lowry or anyone else for that matter admit to corruption, risk jail and then the ongoing crap ...

glens abu

Quote from: Hardy on February 27, 2013, 10:35:22 AM
Quote from: glens abu on February 27, 2013, 09:24:32 AMWhy on earth would Gerry or anyone else for that matter say they were in the RA, risk jail and then the ongoing crap ...

I'll take your point on this until the next time you criticise a politician from another party.

I mean, why on earth should Michael Lowry or anyone else for that matter admit to corruption, risk jail and then the ongoing crap ...

Well for me it would be a completely different thing,as people in the North joined the Ra in the late 60's and 70's to defend their people and fight against an occupying army not line their own pockets like Michael Lowry,Bertie Aherne etc.I know you will have a different view on this Hardy but that is the way I see it.

Rossfan

Quote from: glens abu on February 27, 2013, 10:55:22 AM
Quote from: Hardy on February 27, 2013, 10:35:22 AM

Well for me it would be a completely different thing,as people in the North joined the Ra in the late 60's and 70's to defend their people and fight against an occupying army not line their own pockets like Michael Lowry,Bertie Aherne etc.I know you will have a different view on this Hardy but that is the way I see it.
A lot of people would take that with a pinch of salt.
Fighting an occupying army would be grand if that was all they did ... but .... I don't need to list the various "operations" which killed so many Irish or English civilians with not a British soldier in sight .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM