Under age amalgamation

Started by Portbush, August 31, 2016, 09:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballyroan Abbey

I have always felt gales teams are a better way of going about it, you gain something and lose nothing really, if a gales team is successful then maybe there is something to talk about in terms of amalgamations. Im sure that if emo had stayed up the call for courtwood (and possibly the rock too) would of being seriously considered for a gales team.

Would any other clubs be viable options in peoples opinions?

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: El Jefe on September 22, 2016, 11:53:35 AM
From what I know the vast majority are for it from St Pauls, Courtwood & Emo but as usual there's a few people stuck in the dark ages who are intent on blocking the whole thing. More concerned with the clubs identity than what's best for the players and their future
Hmm. Strikes me as a strange form of democracy where the wishes of "a few people stuck in the dark ages" outweigh those of "the vast majority"! Are you sure that's how it works?!
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on September 22, 2016, 04:22:03 PM
I have always felt gales teams are a better way of going about it, you gain something and lose nothing really, if a gales team is successful then maybe there is something to talk about in terms of amalgamations. Im sure that if emo had stayed up the call for courtwood (and possibly the rock too) would of being seriously considered for a gales team.

What difference does Emo being relegated make?

redsetanta

Emo would have to be in senior championship for a gaels team to compete there. I am assuming that's what is meant.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Oblivion on September 22, 2016, 01:33:56 PM
considering that players could play for either club as its the same parish. if all the players
chose one club over another I wonder what would happen. 
That's not accurate. No player in any parish can just decide to play for a particular club within that parish. Not just Emo parish either. All underage players are registered with an adult club and to leave that adult club they need a transfer. A lad living in Ballylinan and registered with them can't just willy nilly decide to play for Arles Kilcruise when he turns 18.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: redsetanta on September 22, 2016, 04:31:11 PM
Emo would have to be in senior championship for a gaels team to compete there. I am assuming that's what is meant.
Not necessarily as I understand by rule and it's called a group team or area team.
People in Laois refer to it as a "Gaels team" because of the tendency to use the term Gaels when naming their group team.

Downtheroad

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on September 22, 2016, 04:25:06 PM

1 imagine if Emo stayed they would formed a gaels team. Now that they are relegated, I can't see Co Board allowing an amalgamation that results in 17 teams in the championship.  Your own recent experience with Courtwood/Ratheniska/Ananough  should bear that one out.

Oblivion

My understanding is that within the parish of Emo once a player has not played for an adult club they are entitled to play for either
Emo or Courtwood as its the same parish. If a person age 18 plays for either adult team they then become
affiliated to that club and will have to play for Emo or Courtwood on the basis that is their club.

There may be old historical areas but under the same parish it holds through that there is an entitelment to play for either club.

A child under 17 cant be registered to the adult club and is only used for Insurance purposes. That's my understanding
when asked.     

Oblivion

I am not sure what the situation is with the first club rule is for juvenlle clubs
but to clarify I understand that the adult clubs register the players as they have to
be registered with an adult club although they don't play for them but for an independent
team within the adult clubs.   

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Oblivion on September 22, 2016, 04:45:50 PM
My understanding is that within the parish of Emo once a player has not played for an adult club they are entitled to play for either
Emo or Courtwood as its the same parish. If a person age 18 plays for either adult team they then become
affiliated to that club and will have to play for Emo or Courtwood on the basis that is their club.

There may be old historical areas but under the same parish it holds through that there is an entitelment to play for either club.

A child under 17 cant be registered to the adult club and is only used for Insurance purposes. That's my understanding
when asked.     

Honestly, that's not the case. It's the complete opposite. St Paul's is technically not a club as such. It's an underage amalgamation of two adult clubs. All the children to be insured properly have to be registered with one or other of the adult clubs. I know. I registered loads of them in my time!
And it's the same for Stradbally Parish Gaels, Ballylinan Gleanmore or any of the other underage amalgamations.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Downtheroad on September 22, 2016, 04:44:13 PM

1 imagine if Emo stayed they would formed a gaels team. Now that they are relegated, I can't see Co Board allowing an amalgamation that results in 17 teams in the championship.  Your own recent experience with Courtwood/Ratheniska/Ananough  should bear that one out.

Agreed. But the rule doesn't prevent two non senior teams joining to form a senior area team.
What happened last time was that the other clubs voted it down. Hopefully they won't do the same if Emo and Courtwood decide to enter a senior team next year.

Ballyroan Abbey

If they were to go together next year it could be good timing as it would give them an excellent chance to win something (inter), and gel together as a unit outside of senior, would probably be able to make a good stab at a leinster too(which i fully expect o dempseys or timahoe to do). While i wouldnt aggree with it I do understand the logic

Downtheroad

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on September 22, 2016, 05:41:33 PM
Quote from: Downtheroad on September 22, 2016, 04:44:13 PM

Agreed. But the rule doesn't prevent two non senior teams joining to form a senior area team.
What happened last time was that the other clubs voted it down. Hopefully they won't do the same if Emo and Courtwood decide to enter a senior team next year.
The problem is 17 teams. Any county with a spark of sense knows that a county like Laois needs less rather  than more senior teams. Kerry have 8 club teams while Kilkenny have only 12 in hurling. Laois is bad enough having 16 but adding to it would be madness. One of the few redeeming features of the current championship format  is that a 16 team format is it makes it a neat competition to run off. 17 only brings problems.

SCFC

Quote from: Don Draper on September 22, 2016, 01:55:16 PM
people seem to be thinking one or two underage teams are going to take down the Town. Seems a lot of pressure to put on a few U16's and Minors, some of whom may not even be playing the game in 5 years, and thats nothing to do with either Club, just natural drop off.

Nail on the head there. This year it's St Paul's. 5 years ago it was Killeshin Crettyard. 10 or 12 years ago it was Stradbally Parish Gaels. Underage success is cyclical. Apart from Portlaoise of course.

El Jefe

Quote from: SCFC on September 22, 2016, 10:29:12 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on September 22, 2016, 01:55:16 PM
people seem to be thinking one or two underage teams are going to take down the Town. Seems a lot of pressure to put on a few U16's and Minors, some of whom may not even be playing the game in 5 years, and thats nothing to do with either Club, just natural drop off.

Nail on the head there. This year it's St Paul's. 5 years ago it was Killeshin Crettyard. 10 or 12 years ago it was Stradbally Parish Gaels. Underage success is cyclical. Apart from Portlaoise of course.
What underage success have Portlaoise had in the last number of years?
There's pros and cons to the argument of amalgamations but where it benefits the teams involved, and the players, then its something that maybe should be looked at in more detail. Noone's saying its for everyone. The Courtwood/Emo one seems a very logical one that has lots of support. Hesh's Umpire, from talking to a lot of people involved in the 3 clubs it does seem that this is the case.